Do manufacturers undercoat frames and body?

E-coat is a replacement for zinc coating which is not allowed for environmental reasons and it is nowhere as effective as zinc coating.

After that they just paint on top of that, so that’s most likely what the black, smooth finish is. It will be fine for around 10 years.

If OP plans to keep this vehicle 10+ years, rustproofing, not to be confused with undercoating, is a good preventative measure. It helps with fasteners corrosion, various bracketry, evap leaks and generally things from being stuck.

Wear some clothes you are willing to throw away - that much lanolin will leave them (and you) smelling like sheep. Easier to throw that set of clothes out than try and washout the smell of the Fluid Film
Or get one of these. I keep a couple on hand in case I have crawl around underneath the cars with something messy or powerwashing with some sort of chemical.

On the undercoating topic, many vehicles with factory coating end up in the rust graveyard. I think the only way to stave off the ridiculous salt rust of vehicle is to have a rinsing device that you can drive over to rinse the salt out, or some type of periodic treatment with something like fluid film.

Salt on roads is ridiculous, there has got to be a better way.

When I bought my Tundra - I stopped by Lowe’s and got a case (six cans) of Fluid Film. I sprayed down the frame, exposed bolts, and cavities. I recommend doing the same.

Wear some clothes you are willing to throw away - that much lanolin will leave them (and you) smelling like sheep. Easier to throw that set of clothes out than try and washout the smell of the Fluid Film.
I've been using Surface Shield, which is made by the same folks who make PB Blaster. Yep. it smells too! Sort of like wet topsoil or manure.

On the undercoating topic, many vehicles with factory coating end up in the rust graveyard. I think the only way to stave off the ridiculous salt rust of vehicle is to have a rinsing device that you can drive over to rinse the salt out, or some type of periodic treatment with something like fluid film.

Salt on roads is ridiculous, there has got to be a better way.
Preventative films and exposure products like Salt-Away are the best bet at staving off the corrosive effects of road salt/brine. But there IS a better way, one I'm doing in a year or so. Move far enough south that you don't see "bridge freezes before roadway" signs.

Preventative films and exposure products like Salt-Away are the best bet at staving off the corrosive effects of road salt/brine. But there IS a better way, one I'm doing in a year or so. Move far enough south that you don't see "bridge freezes before roadway" signs.
You are right about that, way better way.

My bimmer has rust preventive coatings. The doors and similar have Cosmoline. The body panels are made of galvanized steel.

Youtuber did a comparo a while back comparing the store bought chemicals to plain vinegar and water, no difference in effectiveness, nut it was cheaper

My 2008 Accent the bottom was a rinoliner like material then painted body color. Lasted a long time. Much longer that the seam sealer they used that failed at the fenders.

The Genesis Coupe had a soft waxy like tar. It slowly weared off and currently there is a recall for a through undercoating going on.

I find what does and doesn't get coated to be absolutely fascinating. With Ford, most differential housings at least were unpainted. The cars or trucks would come off the delivery truck with rusted diff housings. My Mustang had a painted diff housing because it was a Track Pack. However there are these little weights bolted to the sides that aren't painted.
Even down in Texas - often use rattle cans to touch up underneath - expensive shocks are even shamefully thin on coating …

Back