Discount Tire FAILURE.

I had Discount Tire put on four new tires on our 2000 Ford Taurus this morning. I was happy with my service other than all 4 center caps being broken (but they were very brittle so I can understand that). Upon driving away for the first time with the new tires I was impressed with the smooth ride as the previous tires caused some nasty vibrations over 60 mph.

Well tonight while driving home from an adjacent city I noticed some vibrations appearing around 45 mph. I thought maybe I hadn’t noticed the vibration earlier in the day as I was just happy to have new tires on it (placebo effect in a way).

I kept driving and at this point didn’t say anything to my wife as my happiness began to fade, realizing that the vibration was definitely there. So much for smooth new tires, I thought to myself. Then we hit a red light so I applied the brakes. The vibration got worse. I thought to myself, “I don’t remember having any rotor shimmy before”.

It was upon the following acceleration and braking that I had a horrible suspicion that the lug nuts were loose. At that point I told my wife I thought something was very wrong. By then we were almost home so I put the hazards on and limped home at a low speed.

I got home and did a walk around and tried to spin all the lug nuts. Sure enough one on the passenger front wheel is loose.

SO, the million dollar question. How much heck should I raise? I’ve already called and left a message stating how poorly this could have ended for my family, and that I expect them to tow the car back to their facility and correct the issue.

It also makes me wonder how many other lugs are loose, or not torqued properly. I presume since the weight of the car rests on them, that not all would be turnable by hand even if they are loose.

For it to create such a vibration, I would expect that more than one would have to be loose, right? Regardless I’m not happy and it want it corrected asap.

How would you go about handling this, and what would be your expected outcome. I don’t want to be unreasonable, however this could have ended much differently for us.

Last edited:
Perhaps a installer failure. But take note, and learn. Whenever you have a mechanic fix your car, it's always a good idea to just take a moment to glace at the work, touch a few things, etc. for your own safety check.

I had new tires/rims installed recently. After it was done, I walked around the car and hand checked each lug nut. It might be their error, but it's my safety, my car, my liability, etc.

Perhaps a installer failure. But take note, and learn. Whenever you have a mechanic fix your car, it's always a good idea to just take a moment to glace at the work, touch a few things, etc. for your own safety check.

I had new tires/rims installed recently. After it was done, I walked around the car and hand checked each lug nut. It might be their error, but it's my safety, my car, my liability, etc.
I’ll do that next time. I ALWAYS do a walk around our other two cars after service, as more often then not something is damaged and I can bring it up then. But this Taurus is our beater so I’m not that worried about a small scratch here or there. Lesson learned, though I shouldn’t have to check these things to begin with.

Check the lug nut torque and move on with life.
I know I’m going to lose my BITOG card over this, but that fine. I don’t have the tools for that. I do all other maintenance, but tires and brakes I’ve always left to the dealer / Indy.

Again, I don’t want to be I reasonable but I believe they need to correct their error. For someone less observant this could have been bad.

I’ll do that next time. I ALWAYS do a walk around our other two cars after service, as more often then not something is damaged and I can bring it up then. But this Taurus is our beater so I’m not that worried about a small scratch here or there. Lesson learned, though I shouldn’t have to check these things to begin with.
You should always check torque on the lug nuts / wheel bolts after the first 10 miles or so.

You should always check torque on the lug nuts / wheel bolts after the first 10 miles or so.
Maybe in BITOG land. Joe Smith (and myself apparently) don’t go home and check the torque specs and they go on motoring for the next 10k when they have their next tire rotation with nary an issue.

If the whole car was being vibrated I’m thinking more than one lug is loose, and someone didn’t do their job properly.

If you have alloy wheels, that is part of why they recommend rechecking the torque after 100 miles or so. It happens... And has happened to me on self installed tire/wheel sets - more than once...

I’m just not thinking it’s safe to drive the 10 miles out to their location to have them re-torqued. Am I wrong?

I've found that it's always important to simply look, touch, feel, listen, etc. after mechanics touch my car. I've found tools left in the engine bay (wrenchs, sockets, etc.), lugnut keys or sockets left on the truck side step, etc. It's just too important to not check yourself and it only takes a minute.

When I get home from a tire shop, I loosen all the lug nuts one at a time and torque to spec. I always find a few that are too tight, and a couple that are not tight enough. I've rotated tires myself enough times by now to have an idea of how tight the lug nuts should feel. The torque wrench wasn't very expensive, about $60. Worth it for peace of mind. Doesn't take much time either.
I re-check the torque again after a few days driving, they are usually good though.

I’m seeing a lot of responses but have to say I disagree. If rechecking the lugs is required for proper tire install, they should notify the consumer. Rather than letting them drove off then having an “oh crap, my wheel is going to fall off” moment, that could result in death.

I’m seeing a lot of responses but have to say I disagree. If rechecking the lugs is required for proper tire install, they should notify the consumer. Rather than letting them drove off then having an “oh crap, my wheel is going to fall off” moment, that could result in death.
Dude, stuff happens. Get the lug wrench out and tighten them down.

Dude, stuff happens. Get the lug wrench out and tighten them down.
I am a “stuff happens” kind of guy. I work in pharmacy and deal with the public regularly and have to resolve issues, some of which are quite trivial. So I understand both sides. But for something that can result in your wheel falling off? That’s not something I put in that category. I would and do expect the business to take care of their error for me.

Look at your receipt from Discount.. :)

For you to have serious vibration issues due to lug nut torque, things would have to be way off- not just one lug nut loose.

Personally, I think you have an unrelated issue going on, but obviously you're going to contest that. Balancing issue? Bring it back and have them double check things if you're certain there's nothing else going on.

I would let them know, and then torque the lug nuts down myself.

This would be my advice, and will eliminate that possibility.

It's not difficult to torque lug nuts-- your car probably has a 19mm (3/4 is close enough) or 21mm lug nut, if you don't have that socket and a large ratchet or 1' breaker bar, use the tool that should be in your trunk somewhere. Give each lug nut a good tightening, it's not rocket science. Rule that out first, complain later.

For you to have serious vibration issues due to lug nut torque, things would have to be way off- not just one lug nut loose.

Personally, I think you have an unrelated issue going on, but obviously you're going to contest that. Balancing issue? Bring it back and have them double check things if you're certain there's nothing else going on.

This would be my advice, and will eliminate that possibility.

It's not difficult to torque lug nuts-- your car probably has a 19mm (3/4 is close enough) or 21mm lug nut, if you don't have that socket and a large ratchet or 1' breaker bar, use the tool that should be in your trunk somewhere. Give each lug nut a good tightening, it's not rocket science. Rule that out first, complain later.

All I know for certain is it rode like a dream with the new tires, and 50 or so miles later it has a horrible vibration above 30 mph. Would a tire go out of balance that quickly?

Back