Discount Tire FAILURE.

I had Discount Tire put on four new tires on our 2000 Ford Taurus this morning. I was happy with my service other than all 4 center caps being broken (but they were very brittle so I can understand that). Upon driving away for the first time with the new tires I was impressed with the smooth ride as the previous tires caused some nasty vibrations over 60 mph.

Well tonight while driving home from an adjacent city I noticed some vibrations appearing around 45 mph. I thought maybe I hadn’t noticed the vibration earlier in the day as I was just happy to have new tires on it (placebo effect in a way).

I kept driving and at this point didn’t say anything to my wife as my happiness began to fade, realizing that the vibration was definitely there. So much for smooth new tires, I thought to myself. Then we hit a red light so I applied the brakes. The vibration got worse. I thought to myself, “I don’t remember having any rotor shimmy before”.

It was upon the following acceleration and braking that I had a horrible suspicion that the lug nuts were loose. At that point I told my wife I thought something was very wrong. By then we were almost home so I put the hazards on and limped home at a low speed.

I got home and did a walk around and tried to spin all the lug nuts. Sure enough one on the passenger front wheel is loose.

SO, the million dollar question. How much heck should I raise? I’ve already called and left a message stating how poorly this could have ended for my family, and that I expect them to tow the car back to their facility and correct the issue.

It also makes me wonder how many other lugs are loose, or not torqued properly. I presume since the weight of the car rests on them, that not all would be turnable by hand even if they are loose.

For it to create such a vibration, I would expect that more than one would have to be loose, right? Regardless I’m not happy and it want it corrected asap.

How would you go about handling this, and what would be your expected outcome. I don’t want to be unreasonable, however this could have ended much differently for us.
I'd just get my 4 way lug wrench and check them all. Tighten them all to what feels like the same. Then get my torque wrench and get them all equal at about 75 pounds and call it good. No torque wrench, go back to DT and have them torque them.

I'd just get my 4 way lug wrench and check them all. Tighten them all to what feels like the same. Then get my torque wrench and get them all equal at about 75 pounds and call it good. No torque wrench, go back to DT and have them torque them.
Receipt says they torqued them to 95 ft lb.

I had Discount Tire put on four new tires on our 2000 Ford Taurus this morning. I was happy with my service other than all 4 center caps being broken (but they were very brittle so I can understand that). Upon driving away for the first time with the new tires I was impressed with the smooth ride as the previous tires caused some nasty vibrations over 60 mph.

Well tonight while driving home from an adjacent city I noticed some vibrations appearing around 45 mph. I thought maybe I hadn’t noticed the vibration earlier in the day as I was just happy to have new tires on it (placebo effect in a way).

I kept driving and at this point didn’t say anything to my wife as my happiness began to fade, realizing that the vibration was definitely there. So much for smooth new tires, I thought to myself. Then we hit a red light so I applied the brakes. The vibration got worse. I thought to myself, “I don’t remember having any rotor shimmy before”.

It was upon the following acceleration and braking that I had a horrible suspicion that the lug nuts were loose. At that point I told my wife I thought something was very wrong. By then we were almost home so I put the hazards on and limped home at a low speed.

I got home and did a walk around and tried to spin all the lug nuts. Sure enough one on the passenger front wheel is loose.

SO, the million dollar question. How much heck should I raise? I’ve already called and left a message stating how poorly this could have ended for my family, and that I expect them to tow the car back to their facility and correct the issue.

It also makes me wonder how many other lugs are loose, or not torqued properly. I presume since the weight of the car rests on them, that not all would be turnable by hand even if they are loose.

For it to create such a vibration, I would expect that more than one would have to be loose, right? Regardless I’m not happy and it want it corrected asap.

How would you go about handling this, and what would be your expected outcome. I don’t want to be unreasonable, however this could have ended much differently for us.
I've had loose lug nuts twice now... First time I did it myself (Doh!) Second time, just like you, Discount Tire sent me home without torque. Good thing about loose lugs is they tell you about it long before the wheel falls off. I just re-torqued them myself. I later told the tire place about it and they said it was probably two guys working on the same car and each thought the other did the torque.

While I would notice it and Check, my wife or others less attuned to strange new noises might just drive on and that's when wheels come off!

Last edited:
I've had vibrations in specific cars on specific stretches of road. It's like the pavement waves are just right for that car's wheelbase to cause a shimmy.

I agree with RooflessVW, at this point you haven't pulled the lug wrench out of the trunk and cranked down the other lug nuts, so so far it's only one loose one. Heck, you could drive around with 2 of them missing and it would be fine for a while.
Yep. There’s a stretch of road I drive on that has bumps/frost heaves placed almost perfectly to essentially rock my truck forward and backward pretty violently at 55mph, and this stretch of road only really does it when it’s below 40F out and gets progressively worse the colder it gets. Our van doesn’t buck nearly as hard.

But definitely check the wheel torque.

Always take a few minutes to check things over yourself when you have work done. Granted sometimes you can't, and have to take the word of the outfit who did the work. But on something as simple as lug nuts, it only takes a couple of minutes to prove to yourself it's been done right. Especially before embarking on a trip somewhere.

Having lived in the Rust Belt of Chicago, where the roads are blessed with salt, along with the corrosion it brings every Winter, I'm a bit anal about lug nuts. I ALWAYS remove each lug nut, apply anti seize to the threads, then torque them to 10% less with a torque wrench. I've never had a lug nut come loose, or seize in over 50 years of driving.

No, you shouldn't have to do these things yourself when you're paying to have someone else do it. But it's the only way you can insure you don't end up having a situation like you had develop.

I'd raise hell, then fix it myself. It's really sad when you pay good money to have work done, then have to check and often correct it. Sadly I'm not surprised, it seems to be a trend especially with automotive maintenance and repair work. There are some great mechanics out there, a few of them are members here. Having said that for every good mechanic there's probably ten hacks!

The receipt probably also says they should be rechecked after X miles probably 25 or so. It is a CYA ... I would be shocked if they actually think everyone (anyone) is doing it.

I'm not a huge fan of discount tire, they are actually pretty bad at balancing IME, but i have never seen them not use torque sticks AND a torque wrench and I'm the guy who watches their every move on my vehicle and most everyone else's when I'm there. They also usually have very good customer service.

I'm going to go a little against the grain here and say they should fix it, if the wheel is very loose and damaged the studs they should fix that too. I probably would not touch it until they look at it, because that is the evidence.

For the future get yourself the tools to double check, get a harbor freight torque wrench if need be it is not that much. CDI can be had on Amazon if you want the good stuff.

Stuff does happen people make mistakes and it is true that in a perfect world lug nuts would get rechecked after a good heat up and cool down... they do come loose infrequently even if properly installed.

I always recheck them after 50 or so miles... I am sure that in the realm of John Q Public I am in a minuscule percent that do so...

Finally - the measure of customer service is not if there is a problem - it is how they handle the problem.

I've had not one, but two prii develop loose lug nuts. They had perfect (dry) studs and nuts. Alloy wheels with the "washer" style nuts. I think a "cone" nut would dig into the wheel more and stay put. Re-torqued both and had no issues after. And one was not immediately after any wheel service, the other was ~100 miles later.

Your receipt says you need to re-check your torque after a distance, and I bet your owners manual does too. DT will do it for free but it's so easy you can and should DIY with the wrench in your trunk. Getting the torque EVEN across all 5 nuts is important for not warping rotors.

You aren't going to teach them any lessons by having the car towed in. You can certainly call them with the info from your receipt, they might have a flaky tech and this would bring this to their attention. But the odds are slim, IMO.

As for mystery vibrations, snow or ice in the wheel can do it, then it goes away when it melts.

Also agree with Critic while it is back get them to put some michelins on it, since they now own tire rack use it against them, Cross climate 2 set of 4 with road hazard 591.96, T+H set of 4 with road hazard 559.96

Reactions: hrv

Have shop check all four corners and ask for refund on the install.

I know I’m going to lose my BITOG card over this, but that fine. I don’t have the tools for that. I do all other maintenance, but tires and brakes I’ve always left to the dealer / Indy.

Again, I don’t want to be I reasonable but I believe they need to correct their error. For someone less observant this could have been bad.
Most folks just tighten with the lug wrench and move on if they replace a tire. It works well enough.

Id tighten them reasonably with the car‘s lug wrench, and then go there and demand a loosen and retorque with a proper wrench.

I picked up a fire truck ariel from the city garage one day and almost made back to its station when one of the wheels passed me at a red light. Several lug nuts were loose and the scrubbing force that happens when the double axels turn sheers off all the lug bolts sending that huge wheel down the street.
Other mishaps from that garage included a water separator filter left in the engine bay that got caught in the belts and fan blades wreaking havoc in the engine bay and on another fire engine a couple shop towels left in the bay that ended up against the turbo and catching fire on an interstate tractor trailer wreck.
I would have the lug bolts checked too if they nuts were indeed loose.

Receipt says they torqued them to 95 ft lb.
Doing a quick google of your 2000 Ford Taurus shows that if you have the 15" wheels, that is the correct torque specs. Now, if they actually did that is a different story.
I still say that this is a good excuse to buy a tool that can come in handy. ;) (y)

I’m seeing a lot of responses but have to say I disagree. If rechecking the lugs is required for proper tire install, they should notify the consumer. Rather than letting them drove off then having an “oh crap, my wheel is going to fall off” moment, that could result in death.

Greg, unless the studs are new I see no reason having to re-torque the wheels between tire rotations. I think your best plan is to take it back and have them re-torque everything. BTW, there is no shame in not having your own tools. OTOH, this might be a good reason to shop around for a cheap torque wrench.

Greg, unless the studs are new I see no reason having to re-torque the wheels between tire rotations. I think your best plan is to take it back and have them re-torque everything. BTW, there is no shame in not having your own tools. OTOH, this might be a good reason to shop around for a cheap torque wrench.
I checked last night. Turns out I do, just not a torque wrench. I had one years ago but much have got lost in the move to our house.

Back