Disappointed with Samsung TV

pbm

About 2 years ago my daughter asked me what brand TV to buy for her new home and I recommended a Samsung. She ended up buying a 58" Samsung at either Walmart or Costco (I can't remember which). It crapped out about 2 months ago after less than 2 years use. Needless to say I'm very disappointed in this short life span. I expect short life in new appliances like washing machines, refridgerators etc...as that now seems to be the norm but I didn't think TVs had also become 'disposable'.

About 2 years ago my daughter asked me what brand TV to buy for her new home and I recommended a Samsung. She ended up buying a 58" Samsung at either Walmart or Costco (I can't remember which). It crapped out about 2 months ago after less than 2 years use. Needless to say I'm very disappointed in this short life span. I expect short life in new appliances like washing machines, refridgerators etc...as that now seems to be the norm but I didn't think TVs had also become 'disposable'.
Hugh?

Sorry to hear your Samsung didn't fair to well. I have a 55, 65, and 75. 75 Is new but the others are over 2 years old. Any idea what went wrong?

i understand that walmarts relentless attack on costs force manufacturers to make 'walmart' specific product.
i think i may have read that on this forum.

As I was told by an enthusiastic Best Buy employee: Samsung's entry level TVs are cranked out very quickly in mass production and QC can suffer. I was recommended to go Sony or LG for the entry level 65" I just bought. However, the high end stuff from Samsung appears to be very good.

I'm sure all brands have their issues...

I share your dismay. Appliance purchases have become a crap shoot. Some go long and win, most fizzle out prematurely and then it’s down the rabbit hole with warranties and all the assorted headaches. I fear the days of buying an appliance and expecting it to last 20 years are long gone. Hearing reviews from the few who have had an LG whatever for 10 years without a problem is small comfort if you find yourself in the majority with a fried circuit board , leaking s!!t show and a repair bill that breaks the budget.

Reactions: pbm
I've heard mixed reviews on Samsung TV's
My Cousin bought a Samsung that went 2 years and died. She bought the same set again (don't ask me why) and it appears to be going strong at 4.
So their QC may be an issue.
We just replaced the 60" Sharp Aquos that I bought in 2014 with a 55" LG OLED.
The Sharp is still going strong in my in-laws family room.
I have no brand loyalty since Mitsubishi got out of the residential market.

Reactions: JC1
If it had a one year warranty and you bought it on a Visa card, LESS thank 2 years ago, call your credit card company. A lot of Visas have warranty doubling as a perk on the card. They will double up to a 1 year warranty to make it two years.

Others (mastercard, Amex, Discover, etc) may have it as well.

Those type of things are like people. There life expectancy can end at any time. Your gonna have a certain percentage that fail prematurely. Some Brand and Models....... more than others. Dont blame Samsung..... she just happened to buy one that failed prematurely.

If it had a one year warranty and you bought it on a Visa card, LESS thank 2 years ago, call your credit card company. A lot of Visas have warranty doubling as a perk on the card. They will double up to a 1 year warranty to make it two years.

Others (mastercard, Amex, Discover, etc) may have it as well.

Also, if she purchased the TV from COSTCO, all of their TVs come standard with a 2 year extended warranty (provided by a 3rd party underwriter) at no charge. Here is the warranty info:

COSTCO Extended Warranty

Last edited:
We have a Phillips tv that I can’t remember how long ago we bought it probably 5 years doing really well. I avoid anything with the Samsung name on it I know their phones aren’t good so that took my trust from them in anything. So my bias is what keeps me away from Samsung. I wish Apple made tvs I know the have Apple TV but it’s not on an Apple branded tv lol. I’d say steer clear of Samsung and look at Phillips or something like that. I have a Dynex in my room that’s pretty good my grandma gave it to me. I’ve never watched cable on it because we aren’t getting another cable box for my room but it’s done good for movies and Xbox and Roku stuff like that.

The purchasing of the TV from WalMart is part of the problem. Walmart model numbers are generally different than the regular model numbers of products. This is the same issue of "John Deere" lawn tractors at Home Depot. The Home Depot versions are cheapened to get the costs down.

I still have my 13" Sony Trinitron in the kitchen area which I bought in the 80s. Still worked just as good equipped with a digital TV converter box off course. I think nothing beats the old school Tube TV when it comes to durability.

Reactions: JC1
I still have the same Walmart bought low 40 something inch Samsung lcd tv I bought in 2006. Began to feel small so i replaced it in 2015 and took it to Mexico. Still works. Nothing is guaranteed to be 100%. That's why just about everything has a warranty. It's when the failures are common enough to see many talk about it. But at 2 months a warranty call shouldn't be an issue.

The purchasing of the TV from WalMart is part of the problem. Walmart model numbers are generally different than the regular model numbers of products. This is the same issue of "John Deere" lawn tractors at Home Depot. The Home Depot versions are cheapened to get the costs down.
This is very true. the model number is slightly different and thtpat does mean something. on my plasma tv it meant that some chips did not get heatsinks installed. these chips failed. when i bought a replacement board, it had heatsinks. thats when i looked at the difference and bought a fist full of heatsinks and installed on all of the parts that got warm when the tv was running. its a 2008 model and still kicking.

not to say it would not have lasted without the heatsinks but i know electronics and high heat shortens life.

My 52" Samsung plasma is 13 years old and still has an awesome picture. I also have a 10-12 year old 35" LED Samsung. It's first several years, it was in my wife's sewing room, so it didn't get used regularly. But for the last few years it has been watched daily. Still working great.

So I can't relate to those of you who haven't been happy with how long your Samsun lasts.

Back