Difference between M1 0w30 afe and 0w30 esp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used 2020 Camry and yes I know recommended oil is 0w16 but I always had luck with 0w30 on my 4 cyl cars. I was looking for 0w30 afe from Walmart but they were out and found 0w30 esp if European formula at AutoZone. Does anyone know the different between the two? I am thinking of using it in the Camry

This is good news. Looks like I will give it a try in the 2020 Camry. It is not ILSAC rated (for Toyotas) but seems like it is actually better oil. How I drive I would consider it severe duty and I am not worried about MPG or CAFE. Thanks for the info.

I would say that the oil change interval would be what to consider over the differences between the two oil choices. For example if the AFE keeps the parts separated during the engines operations the ESP will not be an advantage. That being said ,use the oil that makes you feel, better, that is what I do. Toyota engines usually outlive peoples ownership of the rest of the car.

Go to Toyota's UK or Ireland website and check on the oil recommendation for your Camry's engine over there.

Good chance that it will recommend an ACEA C3 oil in a 30 weight.

Advanced, AFE, EP, ESP, Euro… There’s so many friggin choices and I know every single one will work with my 5k OCI’s! I be confusing myself whenever I’m looking for oil at Walmart & AutoZone 🤣

Last edited:
This is good news. Looks like I will give it a try in the 2020 Camry. It is not ILSAC rated (for Toyotas) but seems like it is actually better oil. How I drive I would consider it severe duty and I am not worried about MPG or CAFE. Thanks for the info.
I think you will like this oil, I was using another oil, and the ESP blows it away.

Glad you like it. I have a few questions.

How does the ESP blow away the other oil you used??? Any UOA's or anything else??? What are the parameters???

On startup I have no noise from the timing chain tensioners versus other oils. My thought on a UOA is it will only show an air filter leak or coolant in the oil. I cannot prove that this oil is better than other oils but I was turned onto this oil by a neighbor of mine and I think it is a great oil.

I too use the ESP 0w30 in my 22 Lexus RX350. I used the regular Mobil 1 API 5w30 and when I switched it to the ESP 0w30, the engine was quieter. The owners manual for everywhere but USA ‘recommends’ ACEA C3 and in US they ‘recommend’ 0w20 for ya know good ole CAFE! I use the ESP 0w30 in my 2018 Honda Accord as well bc the owners manual says the same for everywhere outside of US to use ACEA C3. That was a world of difference with noise when I dumped that 0w20 and went to the 30 weight.

What about using a mid SAPS oil (European) versus low SAPS oil (USA) ? ...Which is better for a modern Asian GDI engine ?

I expect the saps to be comparable actually. And mostly irrelevant.
Yep, Euro C3 oils and American ILSAC oils are usually very close in SAPS level. Say SA of 0.8% for C3, and 0.9% for GF-6, not a big difference.

The big difference is in HTHS (thickness) with a 5W30 C3 being about 3.5-3.6 cP and a ILSAC 5W30 being about 3.0-3.1 cP.

(BTW I know Jetronic already knows this, just adding to his answer, not correcting him. )

Yep, Euro C3 oils and American ILSAC oils are usually very close in SAPS level. Say SA of 0.8% for C3, and 0.9% for GF-6, not a big difference.

The big difference is in HTHS (thickness) with a 5W30 C3 being about 3.5-3.6 cP and a ILSAC 5W30 being about 3.0-3.1 cP.

(BTW I know Jetronic already knows this, just adding to his answer, not correcting him. )

Thank You for the info sir. Cheers👍🍻

Reactions: SR5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back