Difference between Castrol 0W20 Black and Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any noticeable difference between the Black and Gold bottle other than marketing? I've run the Gold in my wife's Honda Fit and I swear that the engine was never more quiet or smoother

I'm looking for the same effect in my Crosstrek, to quiet it down and smooth it out a bit.

I have the FB25 that specs 0W20 in my Forester (essentially your engine with bigger displacement) and have used among others: Castrol Gold, Pennz Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, Amsoil Signature, Subaru Genuine, and Mobil 1 -- all in 0W20

Although Mobil 1 gets a lot of flak on here, I find it to be the smoothest and quietest in my Foz in the Advanced Fuel Economy flavor. If you look at posts from Tig1 or FX4, they both have had very good luck with AFE 0W20 and its price compared to the others is pretty darn hard to beat

If I remember correctly, most of the "noise complaints" from Mobil 1 are in 5W30. I've never used that product, so I can't vouch for that, but in 0W20 I am very pleased with the results

Edge gold bottle has been the full syn that has most impressed me. Almost eerie quiet running and if you start watching UOA's you'll see it is extremely shear resistant as well.

Only downside to it is availability has been rather spotty around here. If you have a good source for it, I'd pick gold bottle every time.

The black Edge has a VI of 174 (vs. 162 for the Gold) in 0w20.
Some find the higher VI an indicator of better cold weather performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back