Am I going too long between changes?

A lot of people say there is no difference after they change the oil.

If there is a noticeable difference in engine noise or smoothness after an oil change am I going too far between changes?

This is on a Honda K20 following OLM down to 15% and using HGMO.

If there is a noticeable difference in engine noise or smoothness after an oil change am I going too far between changes?

If this is a Honda I would immediately be suspicious of fuel dilution. Many Honda's are known for it. And the fact you're saying there is a noticeable difference in engine noise, along with the engine running smoother after an oil change, makes me suspicious of it.

(That is assuming you are using the same weight oil when you change it out). Engine noise should not increase as mileage builds on the oil.

I have noticed on my Toyota Camry the engine runs much quieter on 0W-30, than it did on the 0W-16 it came with from the factory. But it stays quiet for as long as it's in the crankcase.

If fuel dilution is the culprit, I would most definitely increase the OCI, and see if the engine stays quieter. Oil and filters are cheap. And oil changes are easy to do.

The way to know if your OCIs are too long or short is by doing some UOAs.
Not asking third party people if they think some audible clue they can't year is good enough info to go on.

You'll need to do some UOAs and have a look - will help determine fuel dilution/viscosity drop as well as remaining TBN at your chosen interval.

A lot of people say there is no difference after they change the oil.

How many km and months between oil changes? What is your driving pattern?

I think with a bit of basic info you can avoid having to perform an oil analysis as you are changing within the OLM.

- Ken

Last edited:
If this is a Honda I would immediately be suspicious of fuel dilution. Many Honda's are known for it. And the fact you're saying there is a noticeable difference in engine noise, along with the engine running smoother after an oil change, makes me suspicious of it.

(That is assuming you are using the same weight oil when you change it out). Engine noise should not increase as mileage builds on the oil.

I have noticed on my Toyota Camry the engine runs much quieter on 0W-30, than it did on the 0W-16 it came with from the factory. But it stays quiet for as long as it's in the crankcase.

If fuel dilution is the culprit, I would most definitely increase the OCI, and see if the engine stays quieter. Oil and filters are cheap. And oil changes are easy to do.
The fuel dilution issue is not really a characteristic of this particular engine.

It works out to about 13,000 km with 70% highway driving but a lot of stop and go traffic.

As far as I know the Honda OLM compensates for short trips.

It is a general question as well: will audible clues correlate with oil performance? Of course in extreme cases they do, but does it matter in normal cases?

It works out to about 13,000 km with 70% highway driving but a lot of stop and go traffic.

As far as I know the Honda OLM compensates for short trips.

It is a general question as well: will audible clues correlate with oil performance? Of course in extreme cases they do, but does it matter in normal cases?
It just likely sheared down a bit. What is your one way trip typically? Doesn't appear out of line.

Unless its excessive noise - no it doesn't really matter. Maybe try a more robust lubricant.
Is this a 0W30?

I perform mid Spring and late Fall oil changes on my Ford 2L. Lighter weight fluids through the winter months and a robust 10W30 Spring through Fall.

Is this an Accord? What year? - Ken

will audible clues correlate with oil performance?
What are you hearing ? You mentioned sound/noise in your first post and again here.

I will say, in my experience, all of our cars sound quieter for the first day or two after doing an oil change. After that, no difference. It also depend on the oil used, again, in my experience.

For me, it's not about UOA's and wear metals or oil brands. Any brand full synthetic oil will give you low wear metals for any reasonable oil change interval.

For my vehicles, my main emphasis is on keeping the engine clean inside, and finding an oil change interval so that oil is not in the engine long enough to cause sludge/varnish/dirty piston rings or dirty oil control rings.

Last edited:
Reactions: wlk

The fuel dilution is an issue on the Honda L15 engine. It is direct injected and turbocharged. The K20 is a naturally aspirated and direct/port injected depending on application. It does not suffer from fuel dilution.

For me, it's not about UOA's and wear metals or oil brands. Any brand full synthetic oil will give you low wear metals for any reasonable oil change interval.

For my vehicles, my main emphasis is on keeping the engine clean inside, and finding an oil change interval so that oil is not in the engine long enough to cause sludge/varnish/dirty piston rings or dirty oil control rings.
Wouldn't a TBN tell you the active additive remaining in the oil keeping the engine clean?

Changing oil does not result in a smoother-running engine. You are totally fine going to 15% on the OLM.
Agreed with the second part., assuming everything is in proper working order, and you have minimal fuel dilution, and no antifreeze. The OLM will not know these factors.

It does seem that new oil makes the engine sound a bit differenent, but I suppose that is all subjective BS.

The K20’s are loud anyway, IMO. Is there a chance that with the weather getting better, and the widows being down more, or are noticing the engine noise? Believe me, it’s happening right now in the spring...people are hearing a lot of noises their cars have been making for the last six months.

I imagine letting it get down to 15% is somewhere around 7,000 miles? Why don’t you just try a different oil brand, and shorten it up a bit. Chances are you probably need your valves adjusted too, have you ever done that on your K20? Then again, a noisy valve is a happy valve.

Lubricity is greatly diminished after about 5,000 miles, regular or synthetic. Rub new oil between your fingers and some of that old oil between your fingers. Which do you think your engine prefers?

Back