Did anyone get a CMP 1911?

JHZR2

Staff member
I was on the CMP site today and saw that they’re still doing 1911 sales. I know many were down on this some years back due to the hoops that had to be jumped through and the likelihood of junk.

I know you can get a nice GI style colt for around what the CMP ones cost, and other brands/styles for less. But of course, from the parts bin or not, the CMP ones are real GI. Look for GI 1911 pistols on gunbroker and you can definitely be over $2k easily, or much more.

Of course you could get a mixed parts rattletrap. I suspect the nicer ones go to auction.

Still, I shoot my M1917 revolver. I don’t see how a CMP 1911 wouldn’t at least be a shootable 1911…

Regardless, Im more curious if anyone jumped through the hoops, and if so, how they made out…

Last edited:
Not much likelihood of "junk" that I've seen. The rack Garands can be a different story, but that is clearly stated in the description, but yet people still whine.

They will all be mostly mixmasters, and shooteable, even the rough ones.

Between a few friends and different grades, none were rattletraps. Only one out of 5 had a non WW2 slide but was freshly rebuilt.

Definitely worth it. Hoping they allow another pistol per person in the future.

Not much likelihood of "junk" that I've seen. The rack Garands can be a different story, but that is clearly stated in the description, but yet people still whine.

They will all be mostly mixmasters, and shooteable, even the rough ones.

Between a few friends and different grades, none were rattletraps. Only one out of 5 had a non WW2 slide but was freshly rebuilt.

Definitely worth it. Hoping they allow another pistol per person in the future.
Interesting. When you say non WWII slide, do you mean “modern” manufacture, WWI era, or what?

I’d hate to spend the money to get a slide that is recent manufacture. And lacking proof and property marks.

I know for the M1917 revolvers, some got sanded, bomb ordinance proof marked, reparkerkzed, etc. for use in WWII.

I got one, a "Rack Grade", because I didn't mind a little tinkering. Well, what I received was an early 1945-vintage matching frame and slide Remington Rand with obvious finish wear from being in a holster a lot. When I did a FOIA request, it revealed that it had spent some time in the North Carolina Army National Guard. Based on my personal experience, that meant it had been carried in a holster on drill weekends, and only fired for annual qualifications, for many years. When I took it completely apart, the only things that I would consider "non-original" were the slide stop (WW1 version) and the grips (Vietnam era). My pistol even still had its WW2-era High Standard barrel. I have since replaced the slide stop and grips with WW2-era pieces. IMHO, if not for the finish wear, this pistol could have been a "Service Grade". I would buy another if CMP changes their regulations, and probably still go with a "Rack Grade".

I hold the CMP in high regard and I believe they are generally very accurate and err on the side of under-grading their guns. I've purchased many rifles from them and always been pleased. I did hand select one M1 Garand from their Ohio location about a decade or so ago. That was a cool experience if you're near one of their two locations (Ohio and Alabama, I believe).

I've generally heard good things about their 1911s. I've considered them a few times, but I already have a WWI Colt 1911 in my collection. I might add another old warhorse, we'll see. It is a lot of hoops to jump thru... I know that was a hassle in the past. I may revisit it. Thanks for bringing this up OP.

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. It took 5 months from sending my package in. I got a field grade as that's all they had when they called. I got a nice 1941 Colt frame and a Remington Rand slide. It had a replacement barrel and the springs looked to have been replaced somewhere. The finish on the slide is worn and the frame is pretty decent. I believe it was rebuilt by a unit armorer somewhere along the way. It shoots pretty well for what it is. I shot it some today with some softball 200gr LSWC and 230gr Ball ammo. It shoots to point of aim and the trigger is 5 lbs but really smooth, so feels like less. No rattle when shaking. I'll buy another one if given the chance.

Here are some pics - note that I did replace the plastic grips with some rosewood grips I had in the gunroom.

Attachments

• 20230403_151925.jpg
    20230403_151925.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230403_151932.jpg
    20230403_151932.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230403_151939.jpg
    20230403_151939.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230403_151946.jpg
    20230403_151946.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 53
Are the 1911s available in the CMP stores or is the online route the only way to get one?

No 1911s will be available in the CMP stores, or on-line. Only mail order sales will be accepted. All 1911 orders must be delivered via USPS, UPS, Fed EX, etc. to the CMP 1911 address listed above. No in store or at the door drop off orders will be accepted.

Interesting. When you say non WWII slide, do you mean “modern” manufacture, WWI era, or what?

I’d hate to spend the money to get a slide that is recent manufacture. And lacking proof and property marks.

I know for the M1917 revolvers, some got sanded, bomb ordinance proof marked, reparkerkzed, etc. for use in WWII.
Yes, post WW2 manufacturer. There is no reason not to get one. They are genuine surplus and will never go down in value. The frames will have the proof and property marks. If you want an original one, you will be spending thousands.

My dad got a service grade on the first round. If I’m remembering correctly his has a colt frame and Remington rand slide. His was marked as rebuilt at Anniston in the 80’s and didn’t appear to have been used since then. Was in excellent shape

Back