Hemming and Hawing over 1911 Build

STI is defunct, more or less, changed their name to Staccato or something and most of the old guard is gone I think. Caspian doesn't sell complete pistols AFAIK...

Hi
There you go. That is me being way out of date on all things pistol related. Just seen that the Canandian Para Ordnance .45 with the double stack mag is gone too.

Fixed it for ya’...

Packard, Mercedes, Jaguar, Ferrari, or Aston, whatever, as long as it has a V-12...

Hi Astro.

Mmm, ok, V12 it is then.

When you say Packard V12 i presume you do not mean what sits up front of a P51 :).

If funds allow then it has to be an E-Type.

Mercs, Porsche, Ferrari are all wonderful pieces of engineering but they have no class, no soul. They are not greater than the sum of their parts.

I am guessing most sports cars are pretty tame to you? You being used to a 0-160 time of 2 seconds.

Just looked at Ed Brown 1911. Really handsome Pistols. Maybe something a little custom. Needs to be special to the OP to celebrate a special event.

Is there a particular reason you WANT a 1911? I have had 2 for plinking. I still have a WWII Remington as a trophy gun. But as as for "practical" firearms- they are not.

And yes I am intimately familiar with them. I used to take them down to all but a half dozen pieces just for "sh...ts and giggles". I felt if my life depended on it, I could do it blindfolded if I had a day or two to do it.

Hi
'But as as for "practical" firearms- they are not'

You hear that noise? That is Jeff Cooper spinning in his grave.

I am only pulling your leg Al. (y)

Packard built the world’s first V-12 production car, in 1916.

For World War 1, they designed and built the Liberty Airplane engine, also a V-12.

For WWII, they built the V-12 Marine engines for PT boats as well as the Merlin.

Jay Leno has a 1932 Packard V-12. Watching him talk about it is great.

The V-12 is a hallmark of engineering, smoothness and craftsmanship. Wonderful engine architecture.

I’m sorry for the OT discussion. Point is, some things engineered a century ago still have merit and are worthy of the OP’s attention.

Astro, I'm reminded of a middle aged man at the time, pharmacist for CVS and had no kids and no wife. He was often in the company of many different and beautiful women. He had a V12 Jaguar in a deep forest green. What a car that was. I believe it was about 1993 or so.

You are a salty dog for sure.
I think this long drawn out response makes me almost as salty as you.
We have come common characteristics. I now understand you almost perfectly. And I get the "want" of a good shooting 1911. I thought perhaps a WWI or WWII would be perhaps an addition you might want besides your 1911V12. But I see that is unlikely. The 1911 still fascinates me. Browing was a genius , to put it mildly.

Take care my friend and don't change!! ;)

I also have a Browning BAR in 30-06. Love the rifle. Not a bad shooter, but I'd be very interested in what you've done to yours if you ever want to write it up.
I'm not too happy with the glass it came with, but it has been adequate for the shots I take (200 yards and less) against depredating deer in the vineyard.

To each their own on self defense pistols. I have a total of 9 handguns in various calibers and configurations. The one I rely on for self defense is a .45 Colt Commander. If I had to conceal carry, or if I was going off to war I would probably select something else, but for my needs the 1911 is my choice.

I also have a Browning BAR in 30-06. Love the rifle. Not a bad shooter, but I'd be very interested in what you've done to yours if you ever want to write it up.
I'm not too happy with the glass it came with, but it has been adequate for the shots I take (200 yards and less) against depredating deer in the vineyard.

To each their own on self defense pistols. I have a total of 9 handguns in various calibers and configurations. The one I rely on for self defense is a .45 Colt Commander. If I had to conceal carry, or if I was going off to war I would probably select something else, but for my needs the 1911 is my choice.

Give me a bit...I'll PM you with the info on my gun and the specific loads I attempted. Many were failures but I got it eventually. And the action work I did. Wasn't much but a little can make the difference. Something to be aware of is temperature and pressure differences in powders. I say this as I see Vegas (hot) and I'm in the NorthEast (hot and NOT!). I keep a book on each gun and should have ambient temps to give you along with the load data and results.

^ absolutely. I invested early in a Les Baer as the second 1911 I owned after a Kimber. It is an incredible piece of machinery. A regular companion and one of the few things I hope that remains in my possession my entire life. I have bought a few other brands since for various reasons, and they are nice, but nothing compares. I am sure the Wessons, Browns are every bit as good, too. The Baer is the only firearm that I have had no second thoughts about after the purchase. Spend the money and be happier for it.

Not all of my guns are tools. Some are, of course, with modern finishes and features. They are set up for the purpose for which I bought them.

Some are objet d'art. They were bought as such.

Some are collectible; part objet d'art, part appreciation of history, an M1 Garand, for example, or a Krag-Jorgensen, which had a role in our country's history and which are still fun to exercise.

Sort of like owning and driving an antique car, which is not intended to be a daily driver on my work commute and wouldn't perform well in that role, but it is still enjoyed and appreciated.

"All guns must be tools" is simply a narrow definition that doesn't apply to the OP, or me, or his question in starting this thread.

Yes, the pain of spending $4-5K on something that doesn't do anything your P226 won't except not hold as many rounds and not malfunction. BTDT, no mas!
It is using a work or art something like a Ferrari as compared to a Ford Pinto station wagon , both get you from point a to point b but the Ferrari would be savored by the car buff.

A man of your age needs a Mercedes...

But back to your list - an Ed Brown is fine, fine choice. I've admired them for many years!

Ferrari, anything 80s. Maybe 90s. Maybe a 550. 😉

As to the list - Franchi SPAS12 ?

It is using a work or art something like a Ferrari as compared to a Ford Pinto station wagon , both get you from point a to point b but the Ferrari would be savored by the car buff.
Except the pinto is faster, more reliable, and gets better mileage than the Ferrari in this comparo.

Not all of my guns are tools. Some are, of course, with modern finishes and features. They are set up for the purpose for which I bought them.

Some are objet d'art. They were bought as such.

Some are collectible; part objet d'art, part appreciation of history, an M1 Garand, for example, or a Krag-Jorgensen, which had a role in our country's history and which are still fun to exercise.

Sort of like owning and driving an antique car, which is not intended to be a daily driver on my work commute and wouldn't perform well in that role, but it is still enjoyed and appreciated.

"All guns must be tools" is simply a narrow definition that doesn't apply to the OP, or me, or his question in starting this thread.
Functional art is a thing, though, although I also respect museum pieces, I just couldn't own a 69 Camaro that wouldn't run.

Functional art is a thing, though, although I also respect museum pieces, I just couldn't own a 69 Camaro that wouldn't run.
Functional art, particularly objects that have historic significance, like my 1917 Eddystone, which has a highly figured walnut stock, costs more than utilitarian tools.

Still shoots a .30-06. Still a viable hunting rifle, but it costs more than double what a new, say, Ruger American costs.

Like you, I prefer something that works, and that is used for its intended purpose. An antique that shoots, or drives.

Back