Hemming and Hawing over 1911 Build

Well, I have a retirement date of November 27 2020. I had a large number of days off built up over 20+ years so I have been burning my time over the last few months. I spent a lot of time shooting. I spent a lot of time working on a Springfield Armory V12 that was constantly malfunctioning. I truly enjoyed the process. There is a lot more to it than I thought. The pro's are true craftsman. Serious appreciation gained. And who would complain about 2k rounds in a soft shooter like the V12 in 2 months? I got to where I wanted it. Over 500 rounds flawless. Most of the work was tension and deflection of the internal extractor.

To the point. I'm a blessed man and certainly do no need another firearm but the want of an heirloom 1911 is smacking me in the face. Cold hard truth, getting on 50 so it could be that mid-life crisis crap.....I love Corvettes but I could never be THAT 50 year old in one!! :oops: Please don't beat me up I'm being honest. IMHO a man of my age needs a Porsche!! I'm sure many of you disagree and is a ok. We all are entitled to our opinions. No animals were harmed in this!

Here is what I'm lusting over:

Fabarms FTS 12 (Yes it is a 12GA shotgun; it is on the list!) I should state I've never claimed to be sane.

Springfield Armory Custom Shop (Traditional Stainless)

Ed Brown Executive Elite

Alchemy Custom Executive Elite

Cabot Guns S100 -- Probably my favorite on this all great choices list.

Wilson is of course looked at as is Nighthawk but I don't think I'll go that route. The above choices all so great it's difficult to choose. And then the old guy mindset creeps in. Do you really want to spend THAT much on a 1911? Again, blessed to be in this position. Besides the Springfield V12 mentioned I have Springfield TRP HRT 1911; it's heavy!! But a great shooter and reliable. I could always pick up a TRP stainless traditional not HRT type and swap out MIM parts with forged over some time.

This was quite the rant. Feel better already! :geek:

Those are all fine choices. I know there are 1911's that are technically better, but for me the Colt Gold Cup National Match is the one I'm striving for.. I also find myself being drawn to Nickle 8 3/8 N-frame S&W's for reasons I can't explain..

A man of your age needs a Mercedes...

But back to your list - an Ed Brown is fine, fine choice. I've admired them for many years!

You Sir are spending my $$$$! The GLS is on the radar.

They are all good choices....the Ed Brown is a true masterpiece and sooo smooth. Pure elegance was my first thought.

Those are all fine choices. I know there are 1911's that are technically better, but for me the Colt Gold Cup National Match is the one I'm striving for.. I also find myself being drawn to Nickle 8 3/8 N-frame S&W's for reasons I can't explain..

Pump the brakes brotha. Colt Gold Cup National Match is a very fine pistol. What I wrestle with is the price and the diminishing returns of the ultra custom 1911's. I'd love to be able to emphatically state that the XXX $4k 1911 is THAT much better than the Colt you covet or the S&W PC 1911's for $1500 or Springfield Armory TRP (my favorite) or Loaded models. Fact is a $1500 or so 1911 by many manufacturers can readily compete with a 3K 1911. Especially true if you intend to shoot them! I shoot 10-20k a year through a diverse array of handguns. Nothing wrong with safe queens but getting them sullied is the way to go!

Buy the Ed Brown.

Lease the Mercedes.

You'll thank me later! :LOL:

It's my upbringing. I can't do a lease. I want a lux vehicle I can keep for 200-250k. I'm fine with rigorous maintenance but I expect the reliability in return.

Saw one of these in the gun shop yesterday. Simply gorgeous color case hardening and engraving...

Love the case hardening. True art. I appreciate fine figured wood the most. Love it on my Browning 725's 12 and 20. I have a Luxus single shot with hand picked Turkish walnut....beautiful.

Out of your list. Ed Brown, though I'm not a fan of checkering so a Special Forces would likely be my pick.

When you're up in that price range, it hard for me to justify not just pulling the pin completely and calling John Harrison.

Out of your list. Ed Brown, though I'm not a fan of checkering so a Special Forces would likely be my pick.

When you're up in that price range, it hard for me to justify not just pulling the pin completely and calling John Harrison.

Harrison has a great reputation.

I'm going within the next 18 months.
Been thinking about what I want.
I have a Kobra Carry and a couple of Wilsons.... shoot all of them as much as I can.
Some in .45 some in .9.

I am leaning toward a Alchemy Carry in .38 Super.
The older you get... the less fun the .45 is.

For something different, I may go with a Wilson AR9 X.

Well, I have a retirement date of November 27 2020

Congrats (or condolences- whichever is appropriate) on your retirement.

Based on your posts and my estimation of your skill, I think "your" 1911 would best be an 80% where "you" literally build it the way you want it to be. ( buy whatever makes your collection happy but this one would be the culmination of everything you know, have learned or figure out during the process of building). If you go that route, we can help you get going. ( on a 1911 anyway)

That's what I think you should get.

Is there a particular reason you WANT a 1911? I have had 2 for plinking. I still have a WWII Remington as a trophy gun. But as as for "practical" firearms- they are not.

And yes I am intimately familiar with them. I used to take them down to all but a half dozen pieces just for "sh...ts and giggles". I felt if my life depended on it, I could do it blindfolded if I had a day or two to do it.

Is there a particular reason you WANT a 1911? I have had 2 for plinking. I still have a WWII Remington as a trophy gun. But as as for "practical" firearms- they are not.

And yes I am intimately familiar with them. I used to take them down to all but a half dozen pieces just for "sh...ts and giggles". I felt if my life depended on it, I could do it blindfolded if I had a day or two to do it.

You are a salty dog for sure.

I like to shoot and I shoot a lot. I like to tinker with various firearms to learn how they function. I own a lot of rifles, handguns, and shotguns. I have hunted and I do enjoy it but I don't do it much. I was lucky enough to be one of the first non-resident "aliens" in Northwest Territories Canada to get a black bear tag. My guide was one of the people who supported the Ice Road Truckers show. Great trip (thank you to my RCMP buddies for setting this up for me). The result was a 7ft bear I have as a rug. Amazing people, great trip, but the kill so to speak does not do anything for me. There was no "rush" as many hunters feel. Purely utilitarian. Now, taking a Stiller precision action and mating it to a Hart barrel and developing handloads to shoot the smallest groups imaginable -- that is something I enjoy. It is often a drawn out process and it includes YOU being able to shoot well also. I spent almost a year working on a Browning BAR 30-06 before I was able to get it consistently under MOA. I couldn't give up because it was beautiful and had excellent walnut to die for. It's a hobby.

I give you credit for the correct word "WANT." It truly is a want not a need. I have always had a great appreciation for fine craftsmanship in many fields. Woodworking and machining especially. I don't have a background in machining or woodworking but my grandfather (instrumental in my life) was a master machinist for Worthington Compressors and Atlas Copco for over 30 years. He was a perfectionist. I'd say the influence was strong.

To the reasoning. I grew up on a small farm. I've been around firearms for 35+ years. From farmer joe bang around 870's in the back of a tractor to nice over unders for fun time at the clay shoots. Each weapon has a purpose and a category of expectations. Glock's are frankly on the ugly side. After over 100k rounds down a slew of Glock pistols they grow on you and before you know it you find some beauty in them for the durability, ease of maintenance, and reliability. I realize things didn't work out for you and the Glock platform. I love Sig 226, 229, 220, and the GSR 1911 I own. I also love the H&K USP and USP Compact. BUT if you told me hey old man tomorrow you are headed to war!! It would be an LMT/Noveske/Colt M16 and a Glock 21 or 17 on my tac vest. Hands down.

The high end custom 1911 is one of those things that if you have to ask you won't understand. It's akin to the way a high end Mercedes door sounds and feels when you close it. To hold a finely crafted, hand fitted, forged receiver and slide is like holding "MERICA" herself. Shooting is a bonus! I'm not talking about anything like some of the more tactical 1911's. A Springfield TRP can take care of that at half the cost.

Now to the "practical" commentary. I can't wholeheartedly agree. I could agree that for me anyway, daily carry of a 1911, even a Commander size just isn't my cup of tea. I've carried Kahr PM9, Kahr PM40, S&W M&P 340, Ruger LCR, Glock 26, Glock 27, Glock 19, Glock 23, Ruger LCPII. I feel like I've spent a lifetime finding the "right" carry pistol for me. I'm quirky; I don't like things in my pockets. To compound matters I have XXL size hands. Glock 43X was ideal for me. My bedside SD is a G22 I carried at work for years. It's an extension of my body at this point. But it is meant to get me to the Rem 870 Police 12GA in the closet. I would have no issue with a reliable 1911 bedside with the right SD ammo loaded. That's practical.

I think this long drawn out response makes me almost as salty as you.

Congrats (or condolences- whichever is appropriate) on your retirement.

Based on your posts and my estimation of your skill, I think "your" 1911 would best be an 80% where "you" literally build it the way you want it to be. ( buy whatever makes your collection happy but this one would be the culmination of everything you know, have learned or figure out during the process of building). If you go that route, we can help you get going. ( on a 1911 anyway)

That's what I think you should get.

Overall congrats! I was blessed with an amazing career unlike most cops are able have. It is bittersweet at the same time and it's a transition for sure. A few sayings I'll never forget...

Old timer NYPD boss told me when I was a rookie...."This job is a joke! Just don't get caught laughing." That saying is a very old one handed down for decades.

My personal favorite...."Best job in the world. Worst job in the world. Depends on the day."

You have a great idea here. I was thinking of taking my V12 and doing some more work as a practice run. And then picking up a Springfield TRP Stainless and replacing the MIM parts (not because they need to be but for a project). I think the firearms world is over the previous Kimber MIM disaster. I believe there are many 1911 manufacturers that have good quality (no air bubbles for one) MIM parts that have been proven to hold up. Sure not the same a hand fitted forged part though.

You had me thinking on this enough I was browsing narrow pillar files :LOL:

Hi
You sir need an Aston Martin. All other Cars are uncouth.

For obvious reasons i am out of touch with Pistols but Caspian Arms and STI were always on my list.

Hi
You sir need an Aston Martin. All other Cars are uncouth.

For obvious reasons i am out of touch with Pistols but Caspian Arms and STI were always on my list.

STI is defunct, more or less, changed their name to Staccato or something and most of the old guard is gone I think. Caspian doesn't sell complete pistols AFAIK...

Back