Springfield Armory Emissary

As a fan of 1911's, I had been looking for something a little less traditional and maybe, a little more tactical. Several weeks ago my dealer called and said he had something I needed to look at. Enter the Springfield Emissary. Bull barrel, tritium front sight, VZ G-10 grips with matching main spring housing and front strap checkering, and an accessory rail had me interested. After holding it a few seconds in the store, I told him I'd take it. Only put a few magazines through it thus far but it does shoot extremely well. Not a big surprise that a 40 ounce, full size 1911 is a soft shooting pistol!

I recently ordered a Nelson Wrangler leather OWB holster for it from James Nelson at Nelson Holsters. Going to be about a 8 week turn around but feel it will be worth the wait.

IMG_2136.jpeg

IMG_2138.jpeg

I've stood next to a guy that owned one a couple of times at my local range. He loves it. His is a 9mm. He says that the trigger is very crisp. I don't care for the "grenade style" grips or the squared off trigger guard, but there are a lot of nice upgrades and features in the gun.

I offered to let him shoot my 10mm Razorback, hoping he would let me try his Emissary, but he declined. Said the 10mm was too much for him.

Darn it...

I've stood next to a guy that owned one a couple of times at my local range. He loves it. His is a 9mm. He says that the trigger is very crisp. I don't care for the "grenade style" grips or the squared off trigger guard, but there are a lot of nice upgrades and features in the gun.

I offered to let him shoot my 10mm Razorback, hoping he would let me try his Emissary, but he declined. Said the 10mm was too much for him.

Darn it...

If I lived closer to VA Beach I'd take you up on that offer!

As a fan of 1911's, I had been looking for something a little less traditional and maybe, a little more tactical. Several weeks ago my dealer called and said he had something I needed to look at. Enter the Springfield Emissary. Bull barrel, tritium front sight, VZ G-10 grips with matching main spring housing and front strap checkering, and an accessory rail had me interested. After holding it a few seconds in the store, I told him I'd take it. Only put a few magazines through it thus far but it does shoot extremely well. Not a big surprise that a 40 ounce, full size 1911 is a soft shooting pistol!

I recently ordered a Nelson Wrangler leather OWB holster for it from James Nelson at Nelson Holsters. Going to be about a 8 week turn around but feel it will be worth the wait.

View attachment 82704

View attachment 82705
Very nice gun. I like the automatic pistols with that full frame profile and the exposed hammer. It just feels safer to me to see the position of the hammer. Like the safety position too. Good luck with it and enjoy.

You may want to look at Olight’s 1350 with green laser on Amazon. They are very good quality. I have not bought a streamlight after finding these. The addition of the light makes a great nightstand gun. Very nice gun you have there. A Kimber TLE with a rail and Olight is my nightstand gun.

You may want to look at Olight’s 1350 with green laser on Amazon. They are very good quality. I have not bought a streamlight after finding these. The addition of the light makes a great nightstand gun. Very nice gun you have there. A Kimber TLE with a rail and Olight is my nightstand gun.
Not a fan of lasers but I do like Olight WML's. Another brand I find every bit as good as Streamlight is Nightstick.

Not a fan of lasers but I do like Olight WML's. Another brand I find every bit as good as Streamlight is Nightstick.
There is a Bass Pro Shop near me we used to go in lot. The guns available for sale in there, new - used - hand gun or rifle & shotguns are un countable. You could spend a bundle in there. What we liked was they have an upstairs enclosed / lockable shooting range and only charge $10.00 per person for an hour. Two people can go together and have the place to yourselves / private for an hour. A really nice set up.

Very nice , clean looking 1911 !! Typical Springfield series 70 trigger , forged frame , slide and barrel ooze long term quality and reliability as well . *No barrel bushing for bull barrel - any other internals different versus a traditional 1911 with barrel bushing ?

Very nice , clean looking 1911 !! Typical Springfield series 70 trigger , forged frame , slide and barrel ooze long term quality and reliability as well . *No barrel bushing for bull barrel - any other internals different versus a traditional 1911 with barrel bushing ?

At first I did not care for the square trigger guard but it is has grown on me some now. Biggest issue with the trigger guard is finding a holster that will fit properly. To S/A's credit, they collaborated with holster maker Mitch Rosen to have holsters available for the pistol at a reasonable price.

I don't see any internal differences between this one and other 1911's that utilize a bull barrel.

Curious what SA is using for internals presently? MIM?

Glad you found one you like...! I like that the front step isn't checkered, never been a fan of that, but other patterns seem fine... guess i'm a luddite though because my favorite is a WW1 replica...

Back