DeWalt - rip off

Ingersoll Rand used to require this and guys would just get a prepaid credit card. Not sure if that still works, I mean I know they can tell now if it's a "real" credit account or not.

I'll say, I've warrantied many things through Milwaukee. Only once was it denied and it was out of warranty and I knew it. They give the option of destroy the tool or return it to you (or pay for the repair). I've never selected the return as-is option, so I don't know if they try to charge return postage.

I've never given TTI any financial info and they've never asked for it.....between myself and friends and my non-profit I probably warranty 2 things per year on average.

That is annoying, for sure. However, consider the option to dispute the CC charge, "IF" Dewalt does not cover the repair.

That's what I'd do. And I'd stick to my convictions on it.
If you agree to the charge, then it’s pretty lousy to dispute it just because they found a difference in cause. Disputing that and asking for objective evidence I’d do…

How 'bout a GPS dog collar company which wants your credit card info for AUTO-RENEWAL service provision and there's no way to cancel?

My brother got me this dog collar but there's no way I'm sending these lying bar stewards any credit card info. I just hope he doesn't ask me about it as I hate telling people they bought something stupid as thoughtful as it may be.
Next time use a one time credit card number, many banks offer this service

I would honestly pay the $89.00 deposit. A lot of people aren't very reputable - see the current walmart used oil return thread on this board. They likely get stuff back that has been run over by a truck and people expect a free repair. Take photos with their RMA before you send it. My guess is they will honor the warranty if its legit.

Worst case I suppose is you pay $89.00 and get a new drill. But my guess is you will likely not pay if its a legit warranty.

There is also magnusson moss warranty act - and while its probably not worth it to try to enforce yourself, if they were doing it as a matter of policy, they would end up in an expensive class action.

I never send anything back (or to a service center) that I can fix myself for a reasonable amount. A lot of things are easily fixed.

Hmm my experience was opposite, had a bad battery and no receipt, battery date within 3 years... e-mailed them new battery on door step after a while.

Also that particular drill seems to be mostly out of stock, is there a newer model? I think that is the one i have and its a really solid piece, it has taken a beating and still goes and goes..

I ended it up sending it in, I feel like it's 50/50 on if it'll be free or not. I looked around and thought if I could get the same drill with an extra battery or two for like $150 I'd be better off just getting a new one, but couldn't find any great deals now.
Hmm my experience was opposite, had a bad battery and no receipt, battery date within 3 years... e-mailed them new battery on door step after a while.

Also that particular drill seems to be mostly out of stock, is there a newer model? I think that is the one i have and its a really solid piece, it has taken a beating and still goes and goes..
I think that's because they don't want people sending in batteries, they were pretty clear not to send any in with it. I think there is a new one coming out, the DCD800.

And at some point they won’t make them any more and then what?
My rigid 1/2" hammer drill came with nicads, so its 12+ years old, I used it to pump a few hundred gallons of water to flood the pond for skating, so a full battery down to dead in 10 minutes, and then another one, basically just WO with a high load. One nicad battery died after years of this, about 6-7 years ago, so they sent me a pair of big Li-ions and a new charger... Can't beat that really for a homeowner.
Yes I had to send the battery away and it took a couple weeks to get the new set of batteries and charger, but compared to the other guys just telling you to spend 80% of cost of a new kit for new batteries, I can wait.

Never needed a repair on my Milwaukee tools. Wish they were made in the USA.
That's why I got Dewalt stuff in the first place, the core stuff (drill/driver/impacts) is USA made and at least they're American owned. This is my first Dewalt I've ever had issues with.

I have a DeWalt DCD791 drill that the clutch went bad in - in second speed, the clutch has no resistance and it just grinds. Very light use - it honestly goes a few months without being used. I bought it in October of 2020 - it has a 3 year warranty so I thought it would be good to go. I called DeWalt (very hard to get ahold of someone) and they redirected to me the nearest factory service center. I created an account online as directed and noticed that to get the label to return it, I'd have to pre-authorize an $89 charge. I called and asked about that, basically if you send it in and they deem it's not a warranty issue, you are billed the $89 without a chance to decline it. And basically if it's not a recall, then they will say it's not a warranty issue and you will be charged. If you are 1 year or under, then you don't need to pay, that's the "full service" warranty. $89 is most of the way to a new drill. I think it's ridiculous they want you to send it in without giving the option to decline an out of warranty repair. I've spent a couple grand on Dewalt stuff in the past few years but I'm ready to switch to another brand. Would do Milwaukee but not a fan of them being both Chinese owned and made.

TLDR: DeWalt's warranty is basically 1 year not 3 year like they advertise.
This is great news since all of my 20V cordless tools are made by DeWalt lol

That's why I feel extremely pleased when I run into people that express humanity and do nice things for no reason at all.

Many people find the above happening when they have a car that is CPO with an extended warranty. Well yeah, the car did overheat and you need a new engine for $8500. The engine would be covered, but it was a hose that caused the overheat, which is only covered with the original factory warranty, not the CPO warranty.

Or on my wife's GM, had a factory extended warranty and the RF strut leaked. It was replaced, only on the right side, and they did a 1 wheel alignment that was also covered. It's stupid actually. The left failed out of extended warranty, which is why we went Bilstein B6.

many companies have this return policy cost. many times people send in items that there is nothing wrong with them other than user error. if they paid for every trip back and forth it adds up.

Sig firearms had me pay a deposit when i sent back my X5 for service. they fixed it and did not charge me. when you have skin in the game, one is not as quickly to send something back because its free .

Thank goodness my DeWalt 20V and 120V corded have been solid!

Years ago (2010?) early in the 20VMax timeline I brutalized my 20VMax Drill and killed it. No charge. Got a replacement. Maybe too many abused this policy. Dunno.

I killed a large HD 3/4" Hole hog Milwaukee. Fried way early in life. Milwaukee told me to take a leap. Sour. That said I LOVE their 12V and use them the most these days.

Meh not brand loyal...........just don't want too many battery types!

I’ve heard of these stores before, I stick to ridgid for a free lifetime service agreement or Ryobi so I’d just buy a new one given how cheap they’re

Milwaukee is unfortunately a Chicom owned company. Some of their stuff is made in China too.

Dewalt is still an American company. Some is made here. Some is made in China.
The DCD791 is made in USA with “global parts” I think it’s just Dewalt not standing behind their product

Though that drill is only for DIY projects

I stopped using DeWalt 15yrs ago when the battery life was a year max. Been using Milwaukee but they even have issues so its a global issue with every good/service in the world. I actually been buying the HF Bauer tools and they seem to last and function every bit as well as more expensive name brands but when they die I won't feel so bad tossing it in the trash.

Back