DeWalt - rip off

I have a DeWalt DCD791 drill that the clutch went bad in - in second speed, the clutch has no resistance and it just grinds. Very light use - it honestly goes a few months without being used. I bought it in October of 2020 - it has a 3 year warranty so I thought it would be good to go. I called DeWalt (very hard to get ahold of someone) and they redirected to me the nearest factory service center. I created an account online as directed and noticed that to get the label to return it, I'd have to pre-authorize an $89 charge. I called and asked about that, basically if you send it in and they deem it's not a warranty issue, you are billed the $89 without a chance to decline it. And basically if it's not a recall, then they will say it's not a warranty issue and you will be charged. If you are 1 year or under, then you don't need to pay, that's the "full service" warranty. $89 is most of the way to a new drill. I think it's ridiculous they want you to send it in without giving the option to decline an out of warranty repair. I've spent a couple grand on Dewalt stuff in the past few years but I'm ready to switch to another brand. Would do Milwaukee but not a fan of them being both Chinese owned and made.

TLDR: DeWalt's warranty is basically 1 year not 3 year like they advertise.

How 'bout a GPS dog collar company which wants your credit card info for AUTO-RENEWAL service provision and there's no way to cancel?

My brother got me this dog collar but there's no way I'm sending these lying bar stewards any credit card info. I just hope he doesn't ask me about it as I hate telling people they bought something stupid as thoughtful as it may be.

I have a DeWalt DCD791 drill that the clutch went bad in - in second speed, the clutch has no resistance and it just grinds. Very light use - it honestly goes a few months without being used. I bought it in October of 2020 - it has a 3 year warranty so I thought it would be good to go. I called DeWalt (very hard to get ahold of someone) and they redirected to me the nearest factory service center. I created an account online as directed and noticed that to get the label to return it, I'd have to pre-authorize an $89 charge. I called and asked about that, basically if you send it in and they deem it's not a warranty issue, you are billed the $89 without a chance to decline it. And basically if it's not a recall, then they will say it's not a warranty issue and you will be charged. If you are 1 year or under, then you don't need to pay, that's the "full service" warranty. $89 is most of the way to a new drill. I think it's ridiculous they want you to send it in without giving the option to decline an out of warranty repair. I've spent a couple grand on Dewalt stuff in the past few years but I'm ready to switch to another brand. Would do Milwaukee but not a fan of them being both Chinese owned and made.

Another lower cost option would be to purchase the part and replace it yourself.

I saw that, but wasn't sure of the quality of it. I saw it from other parts places for $90 so the same as sending it in.
It is coming from China which is where the entire drill is manufactured. I suspect that it is an OEM part since it is coming from the Dewalt Service Center Store in a factory box.

How 'bout a GPS dog collar company which wants your credit card info for AUTO-RENEWAL service provision and there's no way to cancel?

My brother got me this dog collar but there's no way I'm sending these lying bar stewards any credit card info. I just hope he doesn't ask me about it as I hate telling people they bought something stupid as thoughtful as it may be.
There’s always a way to cancel, but it generally requires a new CC number.

This time last week I was trying to decide on a new drill driver combo since my 10+ year old Makita batteries could no longer drive one 3.5 inch deck screw, the drill needed new brushes, and had issues with the gearbox, sometimes.

Was waffling between Ridgid and Dewalt. A little experience with a friends Dewalt drill, I liked it, but None with Ridgid.

Went with Ridgid. I saw they had 2 4.0 Ah batteries for 99$, and I like the Ridgid jigsaw I bought a few years back and used pretty heavily.
I like the Ridgid drill, but the gearbox on the 1/4 impact driver seems a bit loud, like it is not meshing right. I guess I now have 23 days to return it.
It Has no issues burying the few 3.5 inch screws I've driven so far.

I have not completed the lifetime service agreement registration, yet, but this thread is a good reminder to do so.

Ridgid has one amazing thing going for it.. lifetime battery warranty.
YOU KNOW those are going to die eventually.. even just sitting there.

We all use Hilti hammer drills

We all use Hilti hammer drills and they've been really good. No idea about warranty but I work for a land surveyor doing construction layout. So my drill has a hard life and it's lasted like 4 years so far.

We all use Hilti hammer drills

We all use Hilti hammer drills and they've been really good. No idea about warranty but I work for a land surveyor doing construction layout. So my drill has a hard life and it's lasted like 4 years so far.

Hilti stand behind their products 100%. Under warranty make the call and a rep will bring you another drill to use until yours is either repaired or replaced.

And at some point they won’t make them any more and then what?

Hilti stand behind their products 100%. Under warranty make the call and a rep will bring you another drill to use until yours is either repaired or replaced.
But they don’t really take part in the race to the bottom for price point leveraging name recognition.

Ridgid warranty does look good on paper but in reality it is not quite as easy as it sounds. At least, my experience was less than acceptable.

I had a corded Ridgid palm sander that became unbalanced after only about 10 uses. I then took it to the local HD to send off for repair (I had to pay $29 deposit to do so, not unlike like process the OP described for Dewalt). Two months went by and they informed me that the repair was done, at which point I picked up the sander and HD refunded the $29. Fast forward several months and about 5 more uses...the GD thing started doing the same thing again! This time I took it to the local dump and went to HD for a Ryobi battery sander. I don't expect the Ryobi to be any more durable but it only cost half as much. And I have several batteries that fit.

Last edited:
My latest adventure was I purchased a $1000 65 inch television from Amazon. It was being shipped from California to Vermont. It got as far as Massachusetts, when it fell off of UPS tracking. Last tracked the Saturday before SuperBowl, then disappeared. Amazon said I am entitled to a refund, but on their web pages, there is no option for refunds for things that never arrived, and therefore cannot be returned. It took some trickery to get a live representative, but I was able to get my refund.

As for tools, because of commonality of batteries, I have standardized on one line of tools. I picked Milwaukee, because their tools always seem to get above average ratings in tool comparisons.

Reactions: D60
It took some trickery to get a live representative, but I was able to get my refund.

Just call the phone number. I had bad screen protector.. only option was to return... but it was in 5pieces after I removed from phone.. so I called.
888 280-4331

It is coming from China which is where the entire drill is manufactured. I suspect that it is an OEM part since it is coming from the Dewalt Service Center Store in a factory box.
Probably is the same thing. I bought DeWalt because this drill was USA made but I'm sure that's just USA assembled.

I don't like buying Chinese stuff if I can help it. I got a Milwaukee drill and impact driver as a present a few years back and I must say that they are of exceptional quality.
Milwaukee is unfortunately a Chicom owned company. Some of their stuff is made in China too.

Dewalt is still an American company. Some is made here. Some is made in China.

That is annoying, for sure. However, consider the option to dispute the CC charge, "IF" Dewalt does not cover the repair.

That's what I'd do. And I'd stick to my convictions on it.

Back