Depression after show ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you like driving there are lots of courier type jobs.

I know a guy who worked for a nursing home chain that had one pharamcist and a bunch of satellite locations; He had to deliver drugs every single day to everyone.

Make sure your insurance covers this if you do it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I know a guy who worked for a nursing home chain that had one pharamcist and a bunch of satellite locations; He had to deliver drugs every single day to everyone.

I've been looking into this with uship. Problem is most things that need moved are much bigger than anything I can fit in my car, lol.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Donate some Plasma - quick $50!!!

Needles, no thanks. I can handle shots and getting blood draw, but anything more than that and I wouldn't be able to handle it.

The outfit that delivers our parts takes a bit of the pay of the delivery drivers if they don't have a certain commercial endorsement on their insurance. It's something like $5-$10/week.

So if you would go this route, it may be insurance offered by the courier company. After all, if one would have an accident while on a delivery, some lawyer would go after the courier outfit.

Either way, the generic advice to check with your insurance agent is good advice.

Our local folks cover the drivers for a fee if the driver can't provide proof of this particular coverage.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
With Best Buy profits down 30% and they don't want to lower prices...
they have no choice than to cut their payroll. Circuit City did the same about two years before they went out of business.

These companies always did lay off employees to rehire new ones at lower pay even when the economy and their business was booming. Walmart does the same thing. The only difference is now it is much easier to find workers who will accept part-time, minimum wage with no benefits. And now this business practice has seemed to spread to professional and formerly career positions.

Nick were you full-time? Did you file for unemployment? I know someone who was layed off and got unemployment and the state unemployment agency referred him to a job that was a really good one that he got. He was an engineer though.

Here's one......

Deliver medical devices, organs, etc.

Not only by car, but by plane! I know a guy who is on call to hand courier special items! Big money + you get the FF miles!
thumbsup2.gif

Here's one......

Not only by car, but by plane! I know a guy who is on call to hnd courier special items! Big money + you get the FF miles!
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds fun, i like travelling, where do I sign up? Lol

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Maybe doing a "advisor" for lack of a better word. If they need a new computer setup, figure out what they need and providing it... Sounds fun to me, dunno how well it'd work, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

BINGO! Though I don't know much about you, one thing stands out: Your knowledge of computers: Details, specs, Problem-solving, Advising, Troubleshooting, Comparing, etc. Notice all those action words end in "ing". They're strengths. No doubt you have many more. So go with what you know, build on your strengths.

Use your head instead of following "the herd". Filling out aps on line is what all your peers (and others) are doing. It's easy & remote, but likely not too effective. Think about what happens on the other end: They get 1000's of aps for a job notice! Who has time to go through all those? How do you cull them out? (As fast as possible).

Ever been on a public fishing pier and seen most of the people fishing in one spot? Don't join 'em. Fish where others aren't. It'll increase your odds. If they're all using similiar bait, use something unique.

So who uses computers in business these days? Nearly everyone. How many contract out their support? Lots of small businesses do. So do non-profits! Perhaps one of these contractors would be interested in you. So what non-profit do you know of in your area that could use some competent advice on solving their computer problems? Do they have a back-up strategy? Is their network secure? Reliable? Have their HD's been checked for errors? Defrag'd lately? (Substitute small business for non-profit).

So if you volunteer at some non-profit, you'll get to meet various people associated with it and you'll be known as the problem-solver. However, before you run in PRESCRIBING first you need to DIAGNOSE. That means asking a few questions and LISTENING. Begin With The End in Mind as Steve Covey says.

If you have a laptop, you could go around to local businesses that advertise free wifi and test their signal strength & coverage. You could also check their security. You may be able to help them improve it, in exchange for cash or a service/product they offer (barter).

If you're in school, inquire there. Where could your talents be of use?

Go to a community library or your city library or college library and introduce yourself to a reference librarian. Tell them your interested in doing some research on the job market, and ask them about the databases they've subscribed to and paid for that consumer search engines don't reach. (Libraries all subscribe to these and most people don't even know they exist.) Ask them to show you how to search these. And don't just talk to ONE reference librarian, talk to at least 6. As many as necessary until you find one you click with and shows you something new. This will help you practice interviewing.

While at the library, see if they have a copy of "What Color is Your Parachute?" by Richard Bolles. If not, ask to borrow it from another library (libraries do this all the time via ILS: Inter library loan system). Or check another library in your area. Borrowing books will save you money. If you really like it, THEN you can buy it. (Later). Also read "Guerrilla Tactics in the Job Market" by Tom Jackson.

If you DO qualify for unemployment, then take advantage of it. Even if you don't, go find the center, walk around and see what classes are available. Go to all of them. Pickup flyers. Ask questions. Listen. Make Notes. Meet people. Keep a daily log. Write down names, numbers, www-addresses, email-addresses, etc.

These are a few examples of doing things different and doing different things most (if not all) of your peers no nothing about. Heck, many adults don't know this either. This is fishing where others aren't.

Do ALL of the exercises in the Parachute book. Many of what I've described I learned from that book. It'll teach you to mine your experiences for obvious & hidden talents & skills and how to package (market & sell) them.

Finally, a course in all of this should be Mandatory in high-school! It's a key life-skill. It would be a great term/semester-long project for each individual and benefit them for the rest of their life.

Know your Tools and Learn to Sharpen Them! Good Luck!

Nick, how far did you get in school? If your parents will back you, get as much education as you can.
One more thing that nobody has mentioned yet (I don't think) is an apprenticeship.... plumber, electrician, carpenter.... any of these trades are always in demand and pay well if you do a good job.
Trades are always interesting and you're seldom doing the same thing twice (like bolting doors on a Ford on the line). No disrespect to any assy. personnel here at BITOG but it was a lot better day when I was a Plumber at Chrysler than a welder in body-in-white.

Have you considered moving? We live in Western New York, and absolutely can not wait until my fiance gets her master's from UB, we are moving to Texas ASAP!

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Here's one......

Not only by car, but by plane! I know a guy who is on call to hnd courier special items! Big money + you get the FF miles!
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds fun, i like travelling, where do I sign up? Lol

Ok, go for it! Go to hospitals, universities, etc. The guy I know goes all over - New Zealand, everywhere!

Fall cleanups can be a good way to make some money.

Are you a full time student currently?

Nick R - Sorry to hear this news. You're getting lots of good ideas in this thread. I want to 2nd or 3rd the notion of volunteering, if you do not immediately get a job-for-pay position.

If you put in 20-30 hours per week, many future employers will consider it 'work experience.' I bet there are lots of nonprofit organizations that need help from a computer guy. A few years ago I updated several machines for United Way and some of their agencies. My 'old' parts were much better than what they had.

But whatever the organization may need - it's better for you to be helping them out rather than siting in front of a screen vegging.

Some places you might try: hospitals, United Way, Salvation Army, Goodwill, local crisis hotline, food pantries/soup kitchens, and local governments many times have unpaid internship programs.

Lots of opportunities if you take a hard look.

I'll be willing my good karma your way.

Nick, sorry to hear about being laid off. this is a time for reflection as well. Since your in college, be sure to major in something you know you will get a job in. I would avoid any type of bachelor of arts degrees right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back