Depression after show ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting laid off sucks, but its only been a few weeks you will find another job. Pound the pavement and network!

If you haven't already sink your teeth into Monstor or FMA Brotherhood, the new Last Exile is also just around the corner.

Lots of anime to kill some time with! LOL.

Last edited:
to OP:

Sorry to hear that bud. YEah, being laidoff sucks big time.

Please keep your heads up and stay positive. Go outside and find something to work on/at, instead of staying indoors and watch TeeVee (or go online).

Q.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Alright, time to come out with it. I was actually laid off about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and have not had ANY luck finding a job. Other than cleaning, and mowing the lawn, the only things I've had to do are watch TV shows online. I'm running out of stuff to watch. I've watched many different variety of shows lately, including a few anime shows for lack of anything else. (Hey now, I'm a major nerd as well as gearhead, and no comments from the peanut gallery are required on this)

Anyway, I've noticed this lately. I've watched about 10 different series in the past 2 1/2 weeks (Most are between 13-26 episodes long, half hour usually) At the end, I feel depressed. In addition to the "Man I wish _my_ life was as exciting as this", I just feel depressed at the end. It's always been this way for me with books as well.

Does anyone else experience this? It's difficult to describe. Reason I'm posting this is because I just finished a series and now I'm feeling depressed again. -_-

I hope you get a better job soon.

Was the show named 'The Wire' by any chance? I am finished watching all seasons of this show within a month.

Sorry to hear about the lost of a job (been there recently)

If you are producing sales is $2-3 an hour really going to matter to the store? Interesting...

Get out there and get something else. Seems these days people want to ____ and moan about how there are not jobs. There ARE jobs just may be something else doing something different.

Any job is better than no job. Esp when you have things to pay for.

TV is the LAST thing you should be looking at. Esp the "news".

Bill

Sorry to hear about your job. Instead of watching TV, go get some excerise, there must be lots of mountain bike trails in your area. Zipping down a nice curvy downhill section seems pretty exciting and lets your mind focus 100% on just going fast without crashing. Simple cheap fun.

Any ski areas hiring? That would be a blast, low key. The customers are generally pretty happy.

If you can still tolerate retail, Xmas season is coming up.

Get some applications out there, it will feel like you're doing something. You don't even have to pound the pavement; do some online.

The depression is underlying, TV is keeping you from confronting it.

I don't know if this still applies, but it's worth a shot.

Go see a temp agency. Sometimes you can get your foot in the door with a temp job. If nothing else, it gets you out there networking.

I did that for a few months in '92 when I left the Army to take an offer I had, only to have the offer pulled AFTER I moved.

I worked a couple of months temping in low level IT jobs for various banks until I found a full time gig.

Nothing wrong with just hanging out your shingle and offering to do what the Geek Squad does. Or even be a consultant to shoppers who would go shopping at Best Buy or any other store.

Think of it, for $50, a customer would get an hour of your time going with them to make sure they get what they really need and don't pay for stuff they don't. For a bit more, you can do the services that the Geek Squad does, installing AV, or whatever.

You can probably set up wireless networks, get gaming systems on the network, hook up HD TVs and simple home theater components. (I'm not talking about purpose built rooms, just putting stacked components together and make them work.)

You might even be able to build systems for folks who don't feel confident doing that themselves.

Not to mention the yardwork and other things. Folks will be raking leaves and what not for fall. Christmas lights will go up soon. Decorations for the fall and winter holidays have to come out of storage, go up and come down.

Even if those are not your desired professions, it's called networking. You just might be working for someone who knows of a great job.

Think about it, you get to do a stealth interview. If you demonstrate a good worth ethic, etc, you'll be seen as someone an employer can count on. You will NOT be seen as a teen slacker playing video games and watching TV hoping a job will fall in your lap.

Finding a job is a full time job. So if you are not out there 8-10 hours a day, dressed ready to work, looking for job, then you are not looking for a job.

Nick, that feeling will not go away if you keep doing what you're doing, and in fact you will feel depresses more and more as time goes by. You have to find something to do, quickly.

I would fire off some resumes, fill out some job applications and in the mean time I would try to do something productive around the house, I'm sure your parents would really appreciate it. I bet that you would not feel depressed after doing some house chores
wink.gif

How are you going to make the payments on that new car you just bought?

If I were you I would focus most of my time going to college and be looking for a job on my free time. If you ever read DailyJobCuts.com you will see that all industries are laying off people. Have considered joining the military?

Lots of people in the USA are working a 'survival' type jobs just to get by in this tuff economy.

And aren't you still in school? Raking leaves etc goes over much better with homeowners if you're taking classes.

Nick, are there any car dealers in your area? With your 'vehicular interest' something like that might be right up your alley. Even if you could get in as a car washer or kwiky loob tech could be a start of something good for you.

Too bad you're not closer to the Buffalo area. I just noticed our "job finder" went from 2-4 pages to about 6! This thing used to be 12-16pgs easy.

In regards to the blues; A great job, marriage, 4 kids and a household doesn't always keep it away either! You just have to take on your issues one at a time and always focus on the positive.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Nick R
When I say "Laid-off" I mean "terminated because they can hire new people and pay them $7.50 an hour instead of my $10.50.

AAH, another reason to boycott Worst Buy, this time on behalf of Nick R.

Why not go look for a job at the Apple Store? Or re-apply at another Best Buy with the basis of having experience?

The worst thing you can do is watch ANY TV. It does nothing for you. At best it wastes time on worthless stuff, and at worst it makes you depressed because you just "made friends" with the TV characters and now have to see them go.

You need to get outside. Figure out how to get exercise, start walking, running, lifting weights. Gym memberships can be $$$ when unemployed, so get creative. But keep moving, keep active and keep healthy. Also keep a schedule. It is easy to stay in bed way too long when you don't have a pressing requirement to get up. Im employed but guilty of this on the weekends. It wastes a LOT of time.

What are your skills and capabilities? The way to land meaningful jobs is not to go to the faceless online application and put your info into a website. You need to be making contacts, connections, being social and professional. It is no time for "character". Funky hair, piercings and tattoos need not apply. Look your sharpest, but not overly out of place for the environment that you're attacking, and get out there.

Again, what are your skills and capabilities? What can you do? What do you want to do? If money wasnt an issue, what would you do? Remember, every regular person is going to put in apps before you at all those jobs that your skills, capabilities and interests match... so you need to figure out an alternate way to get your foot in the door and start doing what you like. You might want to go to some of these places and offer to work for free for a time, if youre living at home and have minimal expenses (if so, make sure your parents are onboard with this and understand why). But dont just become slave labor.

What about schooling? Get a scholarship, get into some classes, take on a work study, etc.

Anything and everything will be helpful. Shovel snow when it snows, rake leaves when they fall, find other means of making money, many of these things can pay at a very nice rate.

And remember that any dollar that comes in is NOT for beer money or to blow. You need to be especially careful right now.

I'd recommend picking up one of the Dave Ramsey books to get you on a budget, the book "48 days to the work you love" to help with direction, and go for a run this morning to make sure youre getting exercise.

Good luck!

With Best Buy profits down 30% and they don't want to lower prices...
they have no choice than to cut their payroll. Circuit City did the same about two years before they went out of business.

I agree 100% that watching TV or playing video games is a complete waste of time and brain power. To find a job you have to be out there and looking in person and not wasting time on job websites that most of the time the position has been filled.

hmmm. this seams to have turned into a heres how to get a job thread rather than the original question.
At any rate good luck to you, I am gratefull every day that me and my entire family are gainfully employed.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
With Best Buy profits down 30% and they don't want to lower prices...
they have no choice than to cut their payroll. Circuit City did the same about two years before they went out of business.

But circuit city would do things like pricematch Amazon, which BB refuses to do.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
hmmm. this seams to have turned into a heres how to get a job thread rather than the original question.
At any rate good luck to you, I am gratefull every day that me and my entire family are gainfully employed.

Why? It's one and the same. Sitting around watching TV leads to a depressed state with wasted brainpower. It is what it is. The key is to stay active doing stuff, keeping in shape, pushing to better onesself.

Its no different for a laid off kid or a retiree. Use it or lose it!

Stop spending so much time staring at a screen. When I've been laid-off I start an exercise program with goals...that keeps me focused on something positive AND keeps my mental state high. next.....start figuring out what jobs in your area are obtainable and put a resume together. You can also start cutting any and all services/expenses that you partake in that really aren't needed. Then start applying at every single place you can....online and in person. Sooner or later something will turn up.
Otherwise??? Consider relocating to North Dakota (lowest unemployment rate, jobs far easier to get, lower cost of living).

hmmm. this seams to have turned into a heres how to get a job

Maybe Nick needs to spend less time making videos of his new car and more time focusing on school and where he wants to be in 5-10 years..... not to mention looking for work and wasting time on TV. That's the cold hard truth.

Wow... Thanks, everyone. Yeah I know I need to get off my rear end and do something. I'm considering ski areas, they should be hiring this time of the year.

I was also considering putting an ad in the paper or online, basically what Javacontour was talking about. Maybe doing a "advisor" for lack of a better word. If they need a new computer setup, figure out what they need and providing it. Offer custom built computers and the like. Sounds fun to me, dunno how well it'd work, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Need to get excercising, my dad is navy so we get free membership at the local YMCA. Also, luckily since I still live with my parents, it's not as though I'm in danger of starving to death. My parents still help me a lot, and I have 3 months of car/credit card payment sitting in the bank, and if that runs out... Well, my dad will be in washington state, but my mom told me she'll help me. HOPEFULLY I'll have some sort of income by then though.

I've certainly been doing a lot of work around the house. Just go the snowblower fixed so maybe come winter I'll do some of that as well.

Military is an option, but at this point it's last resort as it would have me moving likely far away from my family, and I don't really want to have to do that if I can help it.

I think we are "assuming" it's situational depression, not a clinical depression.

Change the situation and the depression goes away.

If a change in situation doesn't change the depression, then perhaps professional help is needed.

Perhaps it's naive to think it's situational, but you have to start somewhere. So I, like many others, are offering suggestions to change the situation in hopes it will alleviate the depression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back