Deposts on DI engine valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
*sigh*

DI is NOT wonderful and it is not great. It is STUPID to have a "non perfected" system on the market(DI) a system you have to buy cleaning kits, increased warranties and maintenance, this is not great. Just a tech pushed on the market because (at the time) fuel prices were outrageous.

Why don't they use TWO injectors? a main DI injector, and a secondary traditional injector. (used in conjunction or as a maintenance instrument.!

I know I'm late to the party but this is a technology Toyota is using in the 2GR. Traditional injector is primarily used during initial start, but should help to reduce the I take valve deposits to some degree.

Reactions: pbm
VW/Audi started using port injection in addition to DI in Europe to improve emissions during start/warm up, but it keeps intake valves clean as a side effect. We will catch up to the technology in a decade...

Do some reading on Ford EcoBoost problems. I'd say those are probably the worst. After talking to guys that've had them and the horror stories they've told me, I would never go near one. Not to mention, they really aren't that much more impressive gas mileage wise than the V8 used in the trucks. The 3.5 EcoBoost gets about a whopping 1 mpg better than the 5.0 naturally aspirated V8.

Only thing I like about them is they sound really sweet when driving with those turbos whistling!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My old 2007 CX7 Mazda with DI and turbo was running great, like new at 81,000 miles when I traded it for a new Mazda DI. With few exceptions, I think the bad mouthing of DI is way overrated. Ed

Agreed. My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 never suffered from any driveability or performance issues over the 8.5 years and 158,000 miles I owned it. I replaced it with another DI turbo and fully expect to drive it for at least 7-10 years.

My 2012 Hyundai veloster is a mess with carbon issues. I use top tier fuel.I change my oil every 3,500 miles with top syn oil. I use techtron two times per oci. Even tried the CRC intake stuff and the gumout version. Hyundai did an intake service but nothing helps. Now I got grey stuff always on my dip stick. I've changed the oil three times in three weeks. Pp and fram ultra and still grey stuff on the stick. Car runs like [censored]. Don't ever buy a hyundai or a di engine .

Carguy21 said:
My question is, what is the best way to avoid the carbon formation on the DI engines? if there is something the owner can do. [/quotue]

To buy TURBO DI engine (TFSI...TGDi...)...

Then valves will be washed due to turbo blast...

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
My 2012 Hyundai veloster is a mess with carbon issues. I use top tier fuel.I change my oil every 3,500 miles with top syn oil. I use techtron two times per oci. Even tried the CRC intake stuff and the gumout version. Hyundai did an intake service but nothing helps. Now I got grey stuff always on my dip stick. I've changed the oil three times in three weeks. Pp and fram ultra and still grey stuff on the stick. Car runs like [censored]. Don't ever buy a hyundai or a di engine .

I have to agree, unsure why DI engines are a thing.

That said, now I know why I don't see many Velosters on the road.

Originally Posted By: KevinP
I'm sure the DI issue will eventually get resolved. In the meantime, I'm happy to not have one.

That's exactly how I feel.

I have had a turbo DI BMW for over 4 years, own it outright and plan to keep it. I only change the oil 1 time a year and so far on use the BMW branded 5w30 in it. Problem is overblown.

Originally Posted By: KevinP
I'm sure the DI issue will eventually get resolved. In the meantime, I'm happy to not have one.

Me to! This DI thing seems to be technology in reverse. I am going to try and keep both Fords for as long as I can.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Eddie
My old 2007 CX7 Mazda with DI and turbo was running great, like new at 81,000 miles when I traded it for a new Mazda DI. With few exceptions, I think the bad mouthing of DI is way overrated. Ed

Agreed. My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 never suffered from any driveability or performance issues over the 8.5 years and 158,000 miles I owned it. I replaced it with another DI turbo and fully expect to drive it for at least 7-10 years.

100% agreed.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt

Sorry to hear about your troubles and i can understand the dislike of the brand after your experience... My Veloster was owned for 76,000 trouble free miles but i do know a few first year Veloster Turbos suffered from LSPI. The Thetta II 2.0T in our Santa Fe Turbo has been incredibly solid and reliable. When my wife runs it into the ground, we will have Hyundai on the shopping list again.

I haven't had any complaints with our terrain. GM adjusted the OLM to account for the DI issues. I consistently get decent MPGs and the suv runs perfectly. Granted we are lower miles but I use top tier fuel and using the Dexos oil the dealership has (they use actual AC Delco.) It'll get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back