Defence spending in Canada coming closer to 2% of GDP

Annual US military budget $850 B
Annual US budget deficit $1.2 T

You can’t afford a military.

Actually, we can’t afford Social Security and Medicare. We could afford an accountant in the White House, tho.

Just read a news story showing the US is spending more on servicing our debt than on defense spending. $440B for debt vs. $412B for defense. How much longer is this going to be sustainable? Note: These numbers I believe were for the last half fiscal year.

Thought CA was getting some F35’s - did that change ?
I think the plan is still to get 88 of them, eventually... It seems the procurement process for the CAF is quite slow, political somehow? and terrible... My navy buddy says now they just buy stuff first, put it in their budget and ask forgiveness later, although not for not for big ticket items.

I wonder if something with a much longer range would be better? Or if these can operate on a kind of smooth strip of gravel, as their limited range doesn't cover too much area in the north from the concrete runways?
Maybe Astro can answer these types of questions. I don’t know that much about fighters and I don’t follow it very much.

2% is the minimum they should spend.

When a country neglects its military for a long time, 2% isn’t enough.

Just read the other day, we no longer train our own airforce pilots ( initial wings ).

RCAF sends them to Texas, Italy, or Finland for initial training.

“The Royal Canadian Air Force announced earlier this month that it will retire its fleet of pilot training jets and put the program on hiatus”.
I think much of the reason is when the F-35’s arrive, we need to train the pilots. No way are we ready for that, but after watching some You Tube videos which should be able to get the hang of it. ;)

I wonder if something with a much longer range would be better? Or if these can operate on a kind of smooth strip of gravel, as their limited range doesn't cover too much area in the north from the concrete runways?
Dawson City, Yellowknife and Iqaluit all have paved runways of sufficient length to land fighter jets. I recall the F-18’s were looked upon favourably back in 1980 because they were twin engined, but I guess that’s not an issue anymore.

8F2E5FAC-799A-4ABB-B040-0F314CE19E75.jpg
7844A879-F53C-4CF9-A650-D64C475794F8.jpeg

Dawson City, Yellowknife and Iqaluit all have paved runways of sufficient length to land fighter jets. I recall the F-18’s were looked upon favourably back in 1980 because they were twin engined, but I guess that’s not an issue anymore.

View attachment 213435View attachment 213436
I used to see CF18's ( Baffin island ) when I used to fly up there ( First Air ).

Back