Defence spending in Canada coming closer to 2% of GDP

I can’t explain why it took so long but finally Canada is closer to meeting the 2% of GDP NATO commitment. New spending was just announced.

FF12C1AE-031E-4480-815C-DA5B5341D885.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.

Navigation of the Artic, Cananda's natural resources, and an advisory that has been setting up colonies and running information operation campaigns specifically targeted at First Nation (aboriginal) citizens in Canada is quite possibly the sense of urgency with defence spending in Canada.

The only way Canada is gonna get any meaningful weapons is to be another proxy and a sacrifice against Russia and China. Canadian Army isn't at the level or big enough thou.
Spending big doesn't mean big return, all military contracts are extremely over inflated.

The only way Canada is gonna get any meaningful weapons is to be another proxy and a sacrifice against Russia and China. Canadian Army isn't at the level or big enough thou.
Spending big doesn't mean big return, all military contracts are extremely over inflated.

Hmm. Interesting Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Japan, Australia et al have a different view.

Current government is spending like drunken sailors, and my apologies for the comparison to sailors.
This extra government spending will just add to inflation, as have the recently announced gov't programs.
Interesting that a lot of this extra spending kicks in after the next election, Oct 2025.

It is unfortunate that an increase in defence spending is a good investment. It would be good to have most of the money spent here though, as then it becomes more of a tech sector investment, than just money down the drain.

Just a few months ago they announced a budget decrease for the CAF so I am very skeptical.

As far as I know there is still no plan to reach 2%.

There is also a recruitment crisis, which is liked to the housing/cost of living crisis in Canada, and there is no plans to address that.

I can’t explain why it took so long but finally Canada is closer to meeting the 2% of GDP NATO commitment. New spending was just announced.

View attachment 213180
2% is the minimum they should spend.

When a country neglects its military for a long time, 2% isn’t enough.

Just read the other day, we no longer train our own airforce pilots ( initial wings ).

RCAF sends them to Texas, Italy, or Finland for initial training.

“The Royal Canadian Air Force announced earlier this month that it will retire its fleet of pilot training jets and put the program on hiatus”.

Last edited:
One of Russia’s nearest neighbours is the USA, measured across the Bering Strait. It’s second nearest neighbour in that direction is Canada.

China has also declared itself a near-arctic nation and has plans to establish a polar silk road.

China is using Russia to establish a presence in the arctic. They have co-operated on Arctic exploration and resource extraction. Russia has also granted China access to Vladivostok as a domestic Chinese port.

China has also declared itself a near-arctic nation and has plans to establish a polar silk road.

China is using Russia to establish a presence in the arctic. They have co-operated on Arctic exploration and resource extraction. Russia has also granted China access to Vladivostok as a domestic Chinese port.
China clearly is the adversary to Canada in this situation, not Russia.

Does Canada really need a military with USA connected to it ?
Any country that wants to be part of NATO needs to have a military or else they are freeloading which is what Canada has been doing.

It’s not just about self defence, it’s about having your own military that can help out around the world.

Most Canadians in polls support increased military spending.

Also, I just want to point out that Canada has nothing whatsoever to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of when it comes to military valor. They've answered the call and sent their men and boys to fight and die in every major conflict from WWI to Desert Storm.

Also, I just want to point out that Canada has nothing whatsoever to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of when it comes to military valor. They've answered the call and sent their men and boys to fight and die in every major conflict from WWI to Desert Storm.
Very true.

My previous comment wasn’t about the people who serve in our military.

Not having a properly funded military is also very wrong for the members who serve.

Last edited:
Back