Decarbonising rings

some people i know have used automatic transmission oil in the cylinder and let it soak, it will not fix it the first time
it will take a few tries

what ever you try please report back your results after each try
Works good for sticking fuel injectors too. If I remember correctly hot soaking the valves with ATF was listed in the owners manual of an old BMW I had.

could be the friction modifiers in ATF are polar enough to replace carbon on metal surfaces, but that's just a guess on my part. But then what happens with that carbon? If the rest of the oil doesn't have enough dispersancy there could be some pretty big chucks floating around

Star tron has an additive that claims to clean rings.

Might be worth a shot.

Reactions: wlk
some people i know have used automatic transmission oil in the cylinder and let it soak, it will not fix it the first time
it will take a few tries

what ever you try please report back your results after each try
I'll try that. I have used ATF and xylene in a petrol engine with success.

I try to do multiple methods to get parts clean at the same time. I like to do the GDI valve cleaning alone with a PEA fuel cleaner and usually within that day or next I like to use the Gumout Multitune at 1 ounce per quart and run in the crankcase for 10 minutes.

I would like to try adding a moisture angle to the cleaning up carbon. Maybe running at 2k RPM while going through the automatic car wash or hitting the highway and throwing on a steel mesh racing filter from Blitz or something and drive when the moisture/humidity is high.

I try to do multiple methods to get parts clean at the same time. I like to do the GDI valve cleaning alone with a PEA fuel cleaner and usually within that day or next I like to use the Gumout Multitune at 1 ounce per quart and run in the crankcase for 10 minutes.

I would like to try adding a moisture angle to the cleaning up carbon. Maybe running at 2k RPM while going through the automatic car wash or hitting the highway and throwing on a steel mesh racing filter from Blitz or something and drive when the moisture/humidity is high.

I've got to keep the moisture out. Diesels don't like water but can tolerate some especially at low engine speeds but I've got ceramic piezoelectric fuel,injectors: when water hit the combustion chamber it explodes and can crack the ceramic.

Penrite Enviro C2. It's the only Penrite that is 506.01.
HPR5 is close with more zinc and less boron.
This one?

If so, it appears it's not actually approved by VW, which is suggested by the language "Product Performance Levels" noted in the PDS and it doesn't appear on the VW list:
https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/downloadStaticFile/volkswagen/files/oil/step_50601.pdf

This one?

If so, it appears it's not actually approved by VW, which is suggested by the language "Product Performance Levels" noted in the PDS and it doesn't appear on the VW list:
https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/downloadStaticFile/volkswagen/files/oil/step_50601.pdf

Click the red link, it says VW 506.01.
  • Key Specifications: ACEA C2, API SP. See all specifications

Click the red link, it says VW 506.01.
  • Key Specifications: ACEA C2, API SP. See all specifications
This is unfortunately a very commonly confusing thing.

You'll note it does not say "Approvals", just "performance levels":
Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 2.15.35 AM.png

For example, it claims MB 229.61, however, if I go to the Mercedes BEVO list:

These are the products that are approved by Mercedes for MB 229.61 (it's not on there):
Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 2.18.11 AM.png

If I go to the Ravenol site and find the oil that's listed there:

you can see it is formally approved by both BMW and Mercedes, as this is under the Approvals section:
Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 2.22.07 AM.png

They put the applications they recommend the product for, but for which it is not formally approved under the Recommendation section.

Follow?

Last edited:
Back