Decarbonising rings

2005 Touareg R5 TDI.

I've got some blowby smoke, rebuilding the turbo didn't reduce it as much as hoped.
I want to decarbonise the oil rings, does anyone have a suggestion as to what the best product would be.

One thing I'm a bit nervous about is the Nikasil bore lining.

It's done 295,000 kms and there's no sludge or varnish in the oil.

4 + yrs ago I purchased a used vehicle that had stuck rings on all cylinders (defective pvc design). I fixed the pvc problem and did a piston/combustion chamber soak for 48 hrs with Gunk brand "Motor Medic",

Since then, consumption has decreased from 1/2 or more qts per 1000 miles to 1/2 qt per 5k miles.

4 + yrs ago I purchased a used vehicle that had stuck rings on all cylinders (defective pvc design). I fixed the pvc problem and did a piston/combustion chamber soak for 48 hrs with Gunk brand "Motor Medic",

Since then, consumption has decreased from 1/2 or more qts per 1000 miles to 1/2 qt per 5k miles.
I have to take the a/c pump out soon and I thought I could take the inlet manifold off and inject the cylinders with some xylene.

Start a new thread, you are confusing this one answering questions meant for the OP.

2005 Touareg R5 TDI.

I've got some blowby smoke, rebuilding the turbo didn't reduce it as much as hoped.
I want to decarbonise the oil rings, does anyone have a suggestion as to what the best product would be.

One thing I'm a bit nervous about is the Nikasil bore lining.

It's done 295,000 kms and there's no sludge or varnish in the oil.
I’ve had success with “Kreen” from Kano labs……don’t know if they have a Distributor in Oz.

some people i know have used automatic transmission oil in the cylinder and let it soak, it will not fix it the first time
it will take a few tries

what ever you try please report back your results after each try

Reactions: Arc
some people i know have used automatic transmission oil in the cylinder and let it soak, it will not fix it the first time
it will take a few tries

what ever you try please report back your results after each try
ATF is far from a good cleaner engine cleaner, that method carried over from old time mechanics from several decades ago. There are much better choices for piston soaks and cleaning up an engine. ATF would be my last choice.

ATF is far from a good cleaner engine cleaner, that method carried over from old time mechanics from several decades ago. There are much better choices for piston soaks and cleaning up an engine. ATF would be my last choice.
Thats what I thought about ATF until I tried it on a small motor and saw how good it worked. After that I started hot soaking all my vehicles at least once a year and also running it in the fuel. I had a head gasket blow on my jeep at about 275k miles and heads, pistons etc were clean as could be after all those years of running a quart per tank full of gas each fill up. I will look for some pics on my old phone.

Thats what I thought about ATF until I tried it on a small motor and saw how good it worked. After that I started hot soaking all my vehicles at least once a year and also running it in the fuel. I had a head gasket blow on my jeep at about 275k miles and heads, pistons etc were clean as could be after all those years of running a quart per tank full of gas each fill up. I will look for some pics on my old phone.
Search the forum, ATF as a engine cleaner has been beaten to death. FTR our resident industry experts chimed in, there are much, much better choices.

Back