Debating a Mazda 6 or CX-7

Far too many Ford parts in there
Stay away.

I guess the question is, what Ford parts are good and what are bad? I understand they shared platforms throughout the years but Mazda has been a decent vehicle for the most part.

I did find a 2009 Mazda 6, 4 cyl/auto, looks to be in great condition, but has 200K miles. If I knew these transmissions are a solid 300K unit I may consider it, but was trying to stay at 125K miles max if poss.

I guess the question is, what Ford parts are good and what are bad? I understand they shared platforms throughout the years but Mazda has been a decent vehicle for the most part.

I did find a 2009 Mazda 6, 4 cyl/auto, looks to be in great condition, but has 200K miles. If I knew these transmissions are a solid 300K unit I may consider it, but was trying to stay at 125K miles max if poss.
I'd stay away.
That trans is on borrowed time.
Even if it's maintained.

A lot of talk about "too much Ford in that Mazda" but I'm going to go ahead and say if you're looking at Mazda 6s, go ahead and expand your scope to Fusions and Milans of that era too.

You can find 2008-2009 Fusions and Milans with under 125k for $6k all day long. Both the Duratec 2.3 and 3.0 are stout. Interiors are pretty rugged and consumables are dirt cheap.

Pay attention to the 6 speed auto in the 3 liter which can be iffy. The 2.3 gets the Mazda 5 speed. Find a rare 2.3 with a manual and you've got a gem.

I have a friend who bought a lightly used 2007 3 liter Fusion back in 2010 with 30k miles on it. He still drives it- with 205k miles and counting. No major issues. Very good car.

Speaking with the wifey, we might up the budget so I may extend this search to the 2012-ish Skyactive models....maybe even the CX-5.

So....please, all input appreciated. I'm well versed with vehicles, but the tech specs and what is reliable Mazda-related I'm lacking.

Update on this, I've shifted my search to a 2013+ CX5 Touring or GT.

Trying to stay under 18K which seems very feasible, even lower the better, just not sure where the mileage becomes a problem even with proper maintenance, most are under 100K miles.

You’ve now moved on up but fyi we had an 09 Mazda6 with the 2.5 automatic in the family. Purchased at 112k and run up to 240k before being totaled. Abused and neglected by teens/young adults the entire time. Amazingly resilient and reliable, transmission never serviced ever.

Only thing that ever happened was the neglected serpentine belt broke at 160k or so.

Back