Mazda CX-3 first view

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, on Sunday, I drove over to my closest Mazda Dealership to see if any Mazda CX-3's had arrived and, they did. 7 of them! Mid level "Touring" and High end "Grand Touring"...no Low line SPORT(the least expensive).

The dealer was closed and I am sure they'll be closed today(Labor Day).

Well, these "NEW" CX-3's(based on the Mazda2 chassis) may in fact be the best looking Mazda on the dealer's lots(IMHO). Although Mazda cars are quite good looking, the CX-3 may even tie the Mazda6 in the looks department. You pick!

All the doors were locked on the CX-3's although, I was hoping for a straggler that may have been left open. Didn't happen!

The CX-3(larger than I expected considering it's chassis) looks to be more than just a Mazda3 on stilts in terms of it's style(again, based on the Mazda2). It does more resemble the Mazda3 just with a bit more rounded shape, especially around the canopy. This is a very good looking car and I can't wait to test drive one.

This CX-3 makes the Honda HR-V look very bland(vanilla). Although the HR-V will definitely have a more accommodating interior, the CX-3 is the styling champ here.

The seven CX-3 examples on the dealer's lot ranged from $25K+ to between $27K+ to >$29K in Touring & Grand Touring(w/pkg). These mini CUV's, as I call'em MUV's...micro or mini utility vehicles, can be quite pricy in the trim levels that most people may/will want! Making other vehicles a more compelling argument, due to their prices!

But, let me say again, the CX-3 is a very good looking vehicle!
smile.gif

I will report back with a test drive, ride/handling/noise levels and interior quality/room/function!

Last edited:
In profile there looks to be very little difference from the Mazda3 5 door but a bit of ground clearance. They didn't raise the greenhouse. Cargo volume is actually more in the 5 door ?! My daughter has a '15 CX-5 and it's a nice car although the interior is a black hole (of plastic). Prefer our 14 RAV interior but the CX-5 has more tech for the money.

Looking at your sig line, WHO gets to pick you wife's new car??

She does!
smirk.gif

Here is the CR discussion on the MUV's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOp3r5sYRQY

My view on this category of MUV's is that they're really not that good! Though I haven't driven the CX-3 yet! Which may be OK but, kind'a pricey making the CR-V/CX-5 a much better value and better vehicle in general with very close EPA figures!

Last edited:
Quote:
All the doors were locked on the CX-3's although, I was hoping for a straggler that may have been left open. Didn't happen!
Did you mean all the doors of all the CX-3 were locked? Were you hoping to find one with one door unlocked? Do CX-3 have manual door lock where one has to lock each one of the door them from inside? :)

No, no manual door locks. Just often a vehicle is completely missed when the dealership closes for the evening! I see this at every dealership!

Yes, all of the CX-3's on the lot were LOCKED!

I often cruise(closed on Sunday's)dealer lots to eliminate approaching sales consultants. And often, there are a number of vehicles that have been left unlocked. This allows me to climb in and get a better feel of the car and the cargo space, when possible.

Last edited:
Subaru Forester a much better value and much more versatile. Forester XT turbo in premium trim is below $30K and smokes most of the CUV competition in every single way. Especially off-road.

I too love the looks of the CX-3 and I'm also sure the driving experience will be at the top of the heap.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Subaru Forester a much better value and much more versatile. Forester XT turbo in premium trim is below $30K and smokes most of the CUV competition in every single way. Especially off-road.

Forester styling is better now than it's been but still is a bit on the frumpy side, IMO. Then there's the CVT... we test drove a Forester last year and really didn't like the CVT, just not buying a car that you gotta "get used to", and I really wanted to like the Forester.

LoneRanger said:

/quote]

Right! As CR mentions in the link I posted above, the next segment up in CUVs(for the money) are much better for the same or a bit more money depending on options/pkgs. Sure, you may forgo the moonroof and extra speakers, infotainment extras but, much better in terms of refinement.

saw one for the first time sunday on the highway... stayed close for awhile to get a good look at it!! i agree with you sharp looking car, did seem small though.

Yes, definitely compact but, larger than I thought it'd be considering that it's built on the subcompact mazda2 chassis!

I/we really need to give this car a test drive, even if it's to eliminate it from our list of CUV/SUVs that my wife is looking for. I didn't particularly like the Honda HR-V but, my wife certainly does, for its "littleness"!

Last edited:
Are you not worried that you could get hauled in or worse when trying to open doors on a closed new car lot? I am sure they have security cameras monitoring and all signs posted. If the guy drops a dime, over eager gun totting persons could quickly descend on you.

All in all, it seems very dangerous practice just to avoid dealing with salesdroids.

Quite a few dealers out here in Colorado intentionally leave the doors open on Sundays just for those potential customers that show up on Sundays just so that they don't have to be around salespeople.

I also pop by dealerships on Sundays every now and again for the same reason.
It allows us to get a good look at the car.
There have been times where there were 10 or so other people cruising the dealer's lot when I've popped onto one.

If someone's looking for exactly the car they want, it gives them all the time they need to examine all the window stickers to find the car with the right option list that they are looking for.

And yes, the dealers usually park the car right under a good camera spot, but it's to ensure that no one maliciously damages the vehicle, rather than to catch every single person who sits in it.

BC.

it is big then if its built on the mazada 2 platform!!
i just took for granted it was based more on the 3 series sedan and coupe..

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Are you not worried that you could get hauled in or worse when trying to open doors on a closed new car lot? I am sure they have security cameras monitoring and all signs posted. If the guy drops a dime, over eager gun totting persons could quickly descend on you.

All in all, it seems very dangerous practice just to avoid dealing with salesdroids.

No, not at all! It's never happened of over 40 years of looking at cars on a Sunday! NO, I don't go every Sunday!
laugh.gif
Sure, there are security cameras but, I'm not stealing cars, just looking at them like many folks do!

Lots of folks do this, I'm not the only one! People like to look at cars at a more relaxed pace without being approached. When I am ready, I'll talk to a sales consultant.

In my area, there is lots of sales pressure during the workweek on mass market cars. You gotta prepare yourself for the barrage of sales pitches and consistency of the sales person. Instead of telling the sales rep to "take a leap", I prefer to view on a Sunday and when I'm ready, I'll talk!

Last edited:
Saw a CX-3 on the road yesterday. Nice looking vehicle, and a little bigger than I expected. But wow, those prices are way over the top. My brother paid significantly less than that for a well-equipped CX-5, which is a much more substantial vehicle. There seems to be a point where a decrease in size stops leading to a decrease in price and actually raises the MSRP. My wife paid a LOT more for her Fit than I did for my Civic. I'd rather forego the very top-equipped smaller vehicle, for a well-equipped next sized up at a cheaper price. Resale will be better too. I don't quite see the need for these micro-crossovers. They're not much different than a conventional sub- or compact hatchback with maybe slightly more ground clearance, although the availability of AWD may be a plus, but then they encroach on the next vehicle up, price-wise.

As for Sunday lot-gazers, its very common where I live, and if anything I thin the dealers encourage it. Don't think any of the vehicles are ever unlocked though, that doesn't seem like a good idea, somebody could get it dirty or scuffed. Why risk it when there is no chance of a sale that day.

Indeed, these new sub compact CUVs make a compelling argument for the next category upward such as a CX-5 or CR-V! And lately, I have been(even more so) in a "compelling argument" stage of my life when it comes to expensive purchases.

For $27K-$30K, you can definitely buy(with some negotiating), a new mid size CUV or a pre owned(CPO) CUV with more options and a larger more upscale feel!

These new sub compact CUVs will be very difficult to negotiate on as they're not only new but scarce. Dealers are only getting about 4-7 at at time and they're selling as soon as the dealer gets them in!
Maybe in time the sub compact CUVs will make good used car purchases but, I doubt it! I expect the resale value to be high...making the new version the better value!

OR, as the sub compact CUVs become more available on dealer lots,(like the CX-5's & CR-V's are "right now" at my local Mazda & Honda dealerships), only then will the dealerships be willing to deal/negotiate on the sub compact CUVs!!!

^^^ That's when you go on the Attack! When the dealers have more than they can sell in a reasonable timeframe. Then, they'll deal!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

These new sub compact CUVs will be very difficult to negotiate on as they're not only new but scarce.

OR, as the sub compact CUVs become more available on dealer lots,(like the CX-5's & CR-V's are "right now" at my local Mazda & Honda dealerships), only then will the dealerships be willing to deal/negotiate on the sub compact CUVs!!!

^^^ That's when you go on the Attack! When the dealers have more than they can sell in a reasonable timeframe. Then, they'll deal!
smile.gif

Just wait until December, plenty more cars will be on the lots, not many customers buying during the holidays, dealers will want to make their end of year sales goals, and any additional bonus' that they can get from the manufacturers.

BC.

As of now with low gas price SUV, CUV, PU ... are hot selling, hard to get much discount from MSRP. If someone is in market for a sedan of any size, he/she can get very deep discount from MSRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back