Mazda CX-3 Road Test :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Mazda CX-3 Touring AWD-2.0L 4 cyl w/6spd auto & 215-60-16 wheels/tires(not the Grand Tourings 215-50-18s)$25,500

Well, I finally got around to actually road testing a new 2016 Mazda CX-3! The sales consultant was reluctant to let me test as they're only letting customers who are seriously interested in a CX-3 purchase, road test this new vehicle. I assured him that I am interested!?!?...what ever that means!

So, he get the FOB and unlocks the doors and hands me the FOB. I first check out the interior of the car(back seat/hatch area). Both kind'a small but, usable for sure. I won't give any dimensions on either.

I jump into the driver seat and start'er up. Adjusting the seat, mirror and steering wheel, I can tell you right now that this already has me liking the CX-3 over the Honda HR-V. The HR-V is comfortable for sure and it's rear seat area and cargo room are plenty but, the CX-3 already has soul and I haven't even put the shift lever in gear yet!
laugh.gif

The CX-3 doors close with a positive thunk(HR-V feels kind'a tinny) and the steering wheel is niiiiice and THICK! I was able to get a comfortable driving position without much fuss and this isn't something I could say about many of the mid size family sedans that I test drove in Mar-Apr(prior to buying my Altima).

Heading out on the busy highway of car dealerships(auto blvd), I took it easy at first(never really beating the car), the 2.0 feels waaaaay more responsive than the gutless HR-V. With less noise too! This road starts out bumpy but, smooths out nicely.

Driving up hill to the first signal light, the brakes feel positive. And another takeoff from the light, I gun it and this little Mazda pulls nicely(especially in SPORT mode).

Handling is what you'd expect from Mazda but, the 16" 60 series tires helped with the road imperfections. It definitely has a better everyday ride than the Mazda3 that I recently test drove from the same dealership on the same loop.

Turning down a road that had some twisties, the little CX-3 felt secure and solid. On this test drive, I didn't feel anything cheap about the car...with the HR-V, almost everything felt cheap!

Hopping on the hiwy, the Mazda picks up speed nicely to merge with traffic and tracks wonderfully straight. You'd never know that this car is built on the Mazda2 chassis as it feels more like a Mazda3 but, BETTER everydayness, IMHO! Better ride, better comfort. I only drove the CX-3 for about 30 minutes and this only tells me so much!

Driving back to the dealership, I was able to WOT the engine and I can tell you it's quick! It even has it's sweet spot where it actually feels powerful! This was in Normal mode. SPORT mode hangs on to the REVs longer and I really like that!

I could[could] buy this car for it's good looks, nicely done interior & nimbleness. This is a car is done well, IMHO! Outward view was good except through the rear hatch as are all vehicles today but, not bad just the same! Rear seat room(sitting behind my own driving position(5'10") was decent. I wouldn't want to sit in the rear for 5 hours but, I could definitely go out to lunch sitting back there, maybe sit there for an hour!

Hatchback space is "hatchback space" and not CUV space!
This is a "Personal" vehicle for young adults and empty nesters as, I believe Mazda is marketing it!

Things that I don't like are:
*the lack of bins & cubbies
*the "raised up HUD glass
*the center analog Tach w/digital speedometer. I'd rather have a center analog speedometer & tach and other guages off to the side
*the black cladding around the wheel wells and lower rockers as I can't wait to see how fast it all fades in the sun!
*PRICE!!

Other things escape me for now as I was only driving the car for about 30 minutes and looked it over for another 30 min. I really liked driving this car!
laugh.gif

This would be a really nice Personal Vehicle in 2WD($ave the money on AWD) and put the extra money into the Grand Touring model with some extras Pkgs. Chrome strips & trim pieces! My .02 cents!

Last edited:
I also don't care for Mazda's Tablet style Infotainment screen sticking up. I much prefer the closed-in unit in the Mazda CX-5 CUV.

Indeed! And the CX-3 feels more substantial than it underpinnings from the mazda2 would suggest. But, the price reflects this!

Last edited:
Nice review and I'm really surprised it is based on the Mazda 2 platform. When I was getting the alignment done at my local Mazda dealer I had a look at the CX-3 I honestly thought it was just a jacked up Mazda 3.
I didn't bother asking more details about it, but my impression is similar to yours that the car is aimed at single young people, college students.

Does it have the skyactive engine in it?

Yes, it is based off of the mazda2 chassis, not the mazda3!
And, it has the SkyActiv 2.0L w/ 146 hp/146 tq instead of the mazda3's 155 hp/150 tq. But, the CX-3 has it's torque lower at 2800 rpm instead of the mazda3 & CX-5 4000 rpm.

So, it maintains it's offline feel being a slightly heavier vehicle, though not much heavier than the mazda3. Though the CX-3 does run out of breath at the higher speeds/RPMs as expected but, it isn't a problem IMHO as throttle tip in is excellent while cruising!

What I don't understand is why didn't Mazda just design the CX-3 to use the Mazda3's exhaust manifold from the beginning since it's a clean sheet design???

6 speed automatic is the only transmission available at this time and AWD is optional across the board. Trimlines are as such:

*Sport
*Touring
*Grand Touring

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I also don't care for Mazda's Tablet style Infotainment screen sticking up. I much prefer the closed-in unit in the Mazda CX-5 CUV.

Yep. I hate that now most Mazdas have that feature.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Mazda has long cared more about driving dynamics more so than other auto makers in competing segments.

Agree however never translated to sales/financial success. Nice products though.

That is because Mazda doesn't try to appeal to everyone by building dull to drive Mom & Pop vehicles. My Mazda CX7 and CX5 has brought back some enjoyment to my driving after having several Honda and Toyota SUVs.

Just an FYI!

I don't know if Mazda is marketing the CX-3 as a CUV/SUV but, the EPA doesn't classify the CX-3 as a CUV/SUV. Therefore, the CX-3 DOES NOT have "Privacy Glass(tinted windows) from the rear doors, in the rear corner window & hatch, in any trim level though, the Honda HR-V does have the tinted glass on the 2 upper trim lines.

IDK what meaning this has. Maybe someone will chime in with some info/EPA ruling!

Mazda's have a real issue with body rust, it's so bad I have to believe finish longevity isn't even on their radar screen.

The Mazda CX3 Owners Manual says about break-in (among other things): "Avoid full-throttle starts". Especially given you're not evidently a serious buyer it was nice of you to perhaps compromise the car for its eventual owner with your WOT antics. Or maybe you confirmed this example was past the break-in period?

I really like Mazda's style, nowadays the 6. Then the last years of the RX-7 whoa...wish you would see more of those these days but almost never.

Is that $25.5k MSRP or OTD for the Touring w/ AWD?

Have you test-driven the Subaru Crosstrek for comparison? Not quite the same features, but similar demographic, if I'm not mistaken.

Originally Posted By: Danh
The Mazda CX3 Owners Manual says about break-in (among other things): "Avoid full-throttle starts". Especially given you're not evidently a serious buyer it was nice of you to perhaps compromise the car for its eventual owner with your WOT antics. Or maybe you confirmed this example was past the break-in period?

Don't respond to anymore of my posts!

But, for anyone else that is curious...Any hard driving that I did with this Mazda CX-3 isn't going to hurt it a single bit. This was a 30 min test drive and mostly slow cruising. All owners manuals state to avoid WOT starts and constant single speeds on the highway! I have done this with every car that I have ever owned and never an issue!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Is that $25.5k MSRP or OTD for the Touring w/ AWD?

Have you test-driven the Subaru Crosstrek for comparison? Not quite the same features, but similar demographic, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes AWD, as stated in the first line of my post!
smile.gif

No, I have not driven a Subie Xtrek!

Last edited:

Any hard driving that I did with this Mazda CX-3 isn't going to hurt it a single bit. This was a 30 min test drive and mostly slow cruising. All owners manuals state to avoid WOT starts and constant single speeds on the highway! I have done this with every car that I have ever owned and never an issue!

Well then, I guess Mazda is just messin' with new owners. After all, what would they know?

Any hard driving that I did with this Mazda CX-3 isn't going to hurt it a single bit. This was a 30 min test drive and mostly slow cruising. All owners manuals state to avoid WOT starts and constant single speeds on the highway! I have done this with every car that I have ever owned and never an issue!

Well then, I guess Mazda is just messin' with new owners. After all, what would they know?

As I stated above in my EDIT, don't respond to anymore of my posts! Your just the kind of person here at BITOG that likes to start arguments while offering nothing to the subject.

You're not welcome in my threads!

Last edited:
I

As I stated above in my EDIT, don't respond to anymore of my posts! Your just the kind of person here at BITOG that likes to start arguments while offering nothing to the subject.

You're not welcome in my threads!

Well, that generalization is just not so: take a look at my posts if you wish. BITOGers are generally big on personal responsibility, commenting about uncaring service people, oil filter carton swappers and the like and comment about it a lot. But I can tell I've struck a nerve so will bow out of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back