Debating a Mazda 6 or CX-7

I've been a fan of Mazdas....but never owned any, knew friends who have.

I like the interior quality, and never really known people that hated them.

That being said, I'm looking outside the Camry/Corolla models for a secondary vehicle and the Mazda 6 keeps getting my attention.

I have found quite a few with 75-125K miles, from 2003-2009ish. The CX-7 is another option, unless I found a unicorn CX-9 at a good price.

Trying to stay under $6K, but I don't know anything about the engines or transmissions with these, so asking for some knowledge on what to avoid or look for in regards to years/powertrain combos.

Thanks.

I think at those years & price ranges you’re looking at Mazdas that have too much Ford going on under the hood to be considered reliable/goor cars or a good buy.

What region? the cars had a rep for rust. not sure on all of the models.

even if you are not in the rustbelt, watch out, hot market like this, who knows what is being shipped where. A proper car inspection starts first by crawling under it.

That era of Mazda you are basically just getting a Ford with a pretty dress on it. The newer ones though like the Cx-5 are actually pretty great.

Gotta love our CX-5 (2019). We loved our Mazda3 (2016).
Our friend (copycat) bought and loves her CX-3 (2017).
Hats off to Sis who bought a Mazda3 in 2012 and started it all.

Tell me, which Ford is to be found beneath the skin of the "3's"?
Which is our CX-5 closely related to?

Our 2012 Mazda5 minivan has lots of Ford but some of their best mixed with Mazda's best. With 144K miles now it runs great with the 2.5 motor and Mazda's transmission. We take it everywhere.

Shift your focus to the SkyActiv model years. You will see a much improved vehicle.
The SkyActiv is practically a quantum leap.
That being said, my 2012 Mazda3 with the largely Ford 2.5L has been drama free for the 100k miles I've owned it. I bought it with 67k miles on it about 5.5 years ago and put another 101k on it with nothing more than routine maintenance.

It's going to be tough to go SkyActiv at the budget. But SkyActiv does come with more power and better fuel economy.
I've averaged just under 30mpg in mixed urban driving in my pre-SkyActiv 3 sedan.

I loved my 2014 Mazda3 - great car. I have friends who are die-hard Mazda fans and they had a last generation CX-9 (basically a Ford) for a long time and they updated to a current generation CX-9. The last generation CX-9 had lots of problems over the years and was pretty crude compared to the current generation. I don't think Mazdas from the Ford years have anything in common with current Mazdas.

Our 2012 Mazda5 minivan has lots of Ford but some of their best mixed with Mazda's best. With 144K miles now it runs great with the 2.5 motor and Mazda's transmission. We take it everywhere.
I also had a Mazda5 and I liked that Ford 2.5 although with the 5-speed auto it spent a lot of time high up in the RPM range including just cruising at 75mph on the highway.

Cool! We have a 2009 (first gen) with The five speed and we are around 148K miles on it. If I’m not mistaken, it is the Ford C3 platform - the C-Max is the stablemate. But I want to say the engine is Mazda, but yeah there are parts that are Ford such as the dampers I swapped just a big ago.

That being said, I'm looking outside the Camry/Corolla models for a secondary vehicle and the Mazda 6 keeps getting my attention.

I have found quite a few with 75-125K miles, from 2003-2009ish. The CX-7 is another option, unless I found a unicorn CX-9 at a good price.

Trying to stay under $6K, but I don't know anything about the engines or transmissions with these, so asking for some knowledge on what to avoid or look for in regards to years/powertrain combos.

Thanks.
I also like Mazdas - have owned eight of them over the years.

Rust was a big problem from about 2000 to 2010.

The CX-7 with the 2.3T suffered from a lot of premature engine failure due to LSPI.

I'd stay away from an older CX-9 - that is, any with the transverse Ford V6 3.5 or 3.7.

A Mazda 3, 5, or 6 (MY2011+) is a good choice.

Thanks.
Far too many Ford parts in there
Stay away

I love how everyone is saying go with a newer Skyactiv model and the OP said he wants to stay under $6k...yeah right.

Stay away from the CX-7, period. Too many known powertrain issues.

I had an '06 Mazda 6 with the 3.0L V6 (Ford block with a Mazda head) and the 5-speed manual so it was a bit of a unicorn and I can't speak to how the autos were. Great to dive, pulled pretty hard, and IMO looked great. I had no issues with it that weren't self-induced (don't ask) and sold it to a buddy at about 125K...he still owns it, loves it, it lives on! I sometimes miss it.

buy the facelift models

FNR5s are very durable transmissions as well as MZR engines

Reactions: pbm
I will second the recommendation for the Mazda 6 and the Mazda 5. I have the two in my signature. Both were bought used with very low miles in 2016. I will say that the 5 is a bit more worn out cuz it is my wife's car. Both have been pretty dang solid runners. Now they are at 140,000+ on each.

Back