Debating 2024 Honda CR-V Hybrid Sport-L

LDB

I'm thinking about buying this car. It is a beautiful red color and is a stock vehicle. My dealer never adds anything to their vehicles. City MPG goes from 26 to 43 and about 95% of my driving is local city driving. Highway MPG only increases from 32 to 36 but that's still an improvement and no more than 5% of my total driving, if that much.

My family is coming up on 30,000 miles on the last generation CR-V Hybrid (2022). Averaging about 34-35 MPG, with a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. New Michelin CrossClimate2 tires in the past two weeks seem to have knocked off about 1 MPG, but that was expected and worth the increase in traction/comfort.

As you mentioned, gas mileage on the hybrid is significantly better with local city driving. We lose about 2-3 MPG during winter.

The CR-V Hybrid has been super reliable. We had one recall to add a fuse to the battery cable. The Honda OLM calls for maintenance every 9,000-10,000 miles based on driving habits. The second maintenance will call for replacing the rear diff fluid if you purchase an AWD model. (That particular maintenance catches a number of owners off-guard)

It's a great vehicle and my wife's favorite of all the ones we have owned.

I drive about 400 miles a month, benefit of retirement, so I'm an annual oil change guy due to time not miles. I might wind up driving a bit more with it since it would be nice driving and more economical. I'm looking at FWD. I'm Houston adjacent, on the south side, and our once a decade blizzards of 0.5" snow don't quite demand AWD. :) And as a slight bonus my insurance would actually go down enough to buy two Chick-Fil-A meals every 6 month policy term in addition to fuel savings.

I drive about 400 miles a month, benefit of retirement, so I'm an annual oil change guy due to time not miles. I might wind up driving a bit more with it since it would be nice driving and more economical. I'm looking at FWD. I'm Houston adjacent, on the south side, and our once a decade blizzards of 0.5" snow don't quite demand AWD. :) And as a slight bonus my insurance would actually go down enough to buy two Chick-Fil-A meals every 6 month policy term in addition to fuel savings.
Just find some You Tube videos to get to know how the system works and enjoy it.

What would be your estimate of the price premium for the HEV?
If you're only doing 5K miles a year and you live in one of the cheapest gas markets in the country, a HEV may not make economic sense for you.
OTOH, if the hybrid aspect is more a want than a rational need, go for it.
The hybrid CRV appears to use the same powertrain as the hybrid Accord, so in local driving it shouldn't be hard to milk 50+ mpg out of it, although the CRV weighs a few hundred pounds more than the Accord.
My Accord is rated 47/47/47 EPA but routinely gets into the mid fifties during the warmer half of the year here.

Trading in the 2023? With your miles driven per year the cost of purchase is likely not saving you anything if that is all you care about. If you want a new vehicle and the bonus is better mpg then that's different.

400 miles a month is not a lot of mileage. I know saving gas on paper sounds good, but the reality is that you won’t be saving much.
What about your current car, are you trading that in?
Lost money on the trade in, plus the hybrid premium and your ROI is likely near a decade given your mileage.
I’m not a math genius but it doesn’t make sense.

I'm not considering it for the MPG, although that's a nice bonus. I like the red color a lot more and I think long term the Honda would be a better and less expensive ownership experience. And I'm just dumb and like getting new cars. :) It's between that and the blue on the EX-L which is $2000 less than the hybrid.

I’ve test driven both the hybrid and conventional versions. Right now I’m leaning toward buying the hybrid.

The hybrid has the expected electric car, quiet, high torque characteristics that make it pleasant to drive around town. It also reportedly has some structural enhancements that make for a more rigid platform than the conventional CRV. Hybrids are also the top model of the CRV lineup and have feature upgrades.

Here are the downsides (IMO at least):

No spare tire as the space is used by the hybrid battery
Only interior color is black (Houston?)
Alloy wheels are black, which may or may not be to your taste
The ICE itself has only 140 hp. On long upgrades (e.g. Denver to Eisenhower tunnel) it’s likely the HV battery will be depleted and the ICE alone may struggle to climb at Interstate speeds.

Good luck with your decision.

I'm thinking about buying this car. It is a beautiful red color and is a stock vehicle. My dealer never adds anything to their vehicles. City MPG goes from 26 to 43 and about 95% of my driving is local city driving. Highway MPG only increases from 32 to 36 but that's still an improvement and no more than 5% of my total driving, if that much.

I just helped my daughter purchase a 2024 CRV sport Touring in March... There are deals out there. She loves it getting about 36mpg. The Sport Touring has heated wheel, different wheels I think 20 vs 19 and Bose if those are important it might be worth the $$$ but in Texas the heated steering wheel not so much. Below is our purchase experience

Doc fee in Texas, which is bogus and just add'l profit, is $150, up from $50 50 years ago. It's insane what some places are charging for that.

Back