1500 Miles on GR86(BRZ)

The rear subframe is not E90 problem, it is E46, and not really hard to fix.
But, I was specifically mentioning E90, which was recommended above. N52 does not have those issues.
Imo, best used fun car currently is E82 128. That thing is small, can use a bunch of M3 parts, and depending on know-how, one can bump power from 230ho easily to 260, and with some gymnastics, to 300-310hp.
I'm not sure Accu sump is practical unless he tracks it, which I don't think he will do.
Had a buddy last year almost flip his E46 when the r. subframe broke free.

Well you can find anything negative on the internet. But the FA24 is capable of well over 500HP with turbo. So with no turbo I seriously doubt the validity of bearing/oil Failure. And with a 60K warranty and not tracking the vehicle.

I would find it hard to buy a used vehicle. Used BMW "could" be a huge money pit.
If you track it, you might want to do some research on what they do in Australia for their FRS/BRZ spec racing series. Whatever they do, it seems to make oil starvation not even mentioned?
I've been in a few at autocross and they are nice agile cars, good fun!

BRZ is a great car to cruise and enjoy shifting gears on a nice road.

It’s not the type of car for aggressive road course driving.

Second gen BRZ should have been turbocharged from the factory and have wider tires, high 12’s in the quarter mile.

Run oil always atMAX, and run Euro 5W40 to maintain bit more pressure. It is Toyota, somewhere in the manual must say: if you are driving hard or heavy duty use heavier grade.

I've toyed with the idea of a GR86/BRZ or MX-5…relatively affordable, uncompromised fun cars that don't require being on a track to come alive, but still convey their joyous traits on a trip to the grocery store.

There is a place, if not necessity, in the market for such vehicles, even if they're a very small niche. Look up their sales figures, which naturally follow a downsloping ramp for such models; their peaks are always early in the graph. And little inventory in the local dealers.

But, since BMW has been brought up, it's a painful reminder that they don't make cars like that any longer, with "Freude am Fahren" more a marketing slogan than the truth now. As nice as the E90 was, they stopped making them more than a decade ago, and it's impossible to buy a new one, even if willing to pay the higher price. The ones you can buy now…well, they're not like the old ones, and are harder to tell apart from the typical luxobarge. Plus…brilliant models like the XM (cough).

The company is clearly playing a different game.

And if one can afford to claw some of the old traits back by buying an M, well, then, the elephant in the room enters, in the form of a used P-car. See where this can lead?

Nor are BMWs free of foibles; track usage exposed the rear subframe weaknesses of the E36 and E46, but street-only cars could also suffer, and the S50US didn't get the fancier oiling system of the S50, so it could suffer oil pickup deficiencies on track as well. You get the picture…

OP could have done themselves a favor by leaving out the troll bait bit about the safety rating (not really germane to the class, and not everyone cares), but still, the intended spirit of topics like this is to celebrate new cars, and their acquistions, no?

Google "GR86 oil pressure"....
So, it loses pressure on right turns? HAHAHA.

In a car made or inspired by autocross? HAHAHA

I guess made for Nascar fans.

Of course I have no experiences with this vehicle, just what I read. Hilarious, kind of.

Yep, if not reinforced, it will do it.
Said vehicle....haha

Screenshot 2024-06-08 165502.jpg

So, it loses pressure on right turns? HAHAHA.

In a car made or inspired by autocross? HAHAHA

I guess made for Nascar fans.

Of course I have no experiences with this vehicle, just what I read. Hilarious, kind of.
All engines have G limits. On BMW M3 it is between 1.6 and 1.7, but that is way pass possibility on track for vehicle like that.
Problem with GR86 is that limit is way down, around 1.1G from what I have seen. And in the vehicle like GR86, that is easy to pull.

All engines have G limits. On BMW M3 it is between 1.6 and 1.7, but that is way pass possibility on track for vehicle like that.
Problem with GR86 is that limit is way down, around 1.1G from what I have seen. And in the vehicle like GR86, that is easy to pull.
I can pull more G's than that (1.1) in my wagon with 200tw tires.

Run oil always atMAX, and run Euro 5W40 to maintain bit more pressure. It is Toyota, somewhere in the manual must say: if you are driving hard or heavy duty use heavier grade.
I immediately got the factory 0W-20 out and put in 5W-30. I intend to go with the Euro 5W-40 as you suggested!!

All engines have G limits.
1717931310923.jpeg

Thanks for that useful info.

All penguins have a temperature limit also, but if they cant live in the "cold", then they are not much of a penguin are they?

Dry sump oil system is usually found on exotic high horsepower sports cars, not a 228 horsepower Subaru engine.

99% of all normal driven Boxer engines will not see oil starvation.

Back