Dealership screwed up oil change

1) if I understand correctly, the dealership only failed to install the last quart of supplied oil; so the engine was running on 5.8 qrts rather than 6.8 qrts. That's not likely to be a problem.
They used 5qt (one bottle) instead of 6.87. So almost 1.9 qt less than the required. Given the low oil pressure light didn't come on, I'm hoping things are fine as you pointed out. Lesson learned to always check oil after getting it serviced and every couple of weeks or so. Incidentally, I'm at the dealership now and someone was asking about the oil level light popping up every once in a while, and the person at the service reception said that even if the oil does not show up on the dipstick does not mean that there is no oil left.

I'm intending to do a UOA just to see how things are going. I've been doing some reading on these GDI engines and oil dilution, so I want to make sure that things look good given my driving conditions.

Recenlty took the Subaru to Valvoline for an overdue oil change as I haven't been keeping up with it or felt the urge to do so. Combination of weather, kidney stone surgery and just not wanting to do it. What a disaster. Guy is under the car and says it can't be done the previous person who did the change (Subaru dealer) stripped the drain bolt. He then asked me if I wanted to still have it done as he could extract it through the top of the engine. Well, for some reason I agreed to it. Took an hour and I'm not even sure he fully extracted all the oil. To make matters worse he put the oil filter way too tight. I'll never go back again. And I have no way of proving whether he or Subaru stripped it. I suspect he did and was playing it off that Subaru did. Guy was a complete moron.

I've gone to Valvoline probably 4 times over the last 5 years or so and this is the first time they screwed up. I'm going to take over doing the changes going forward or at the very least take it to Subaru.

Last edited:
Recenlty took the Subaru to Valvoline for an overdue oil change as I haven't been keeping up with it or felt the urge to do. Combination of weather, kidney stone surgery and just not wanting to do it. What a disaster. Guy is under the car and says it can't be done the previous person who did the change (Subaru dealer) stripped the drain bolt. He then asked me if I wanted to still have it done as he could extract it through the top of the engine. Well, for some reason I agreed to it. Took an hour and I'm not even sure he fully extracted all the oil. To make matters worse he put the oil filter way too tight. I'll never go back again. And I have no way of proving whether he or Subaru stripped it. I suspect he did and was playing it off that Subaru did. Guy was a complete moron.

I've gone to Valvoline probably 4 times over the last 5 years or so and this is the first time they screwed up. I'm going to take over doing the changes going forward or at the very least take it to Subaru.
I've had a very similar scenario take place. Last week I went to a Valvoline to change the oil, and they could not undo the underside cover as they said that the previous person damaged one of the bolts and/or made it too tight (all service was done at the same dealership up to that point). I left and they didn't charge me. I'm now at this very moment at a different dealership and I mentioned this issue to them, waiting to see what they say once the service is done.

I've had a very similar scenario take place. Last week I went to a Valvoline to change the oil, and they could not undo the underside cover as they said that the previous person damaged one of the bolts and/or made it too tight (all service was done at the same dealership up to that point). I left and they didn't charge me. I'm now at this very moment at a different dealership and I mentioned this issue to them, waiting to see what they say once the service is done.
You made the right call, I didn't. I should have left and just gone to Subaru.

They ain't having geniuses in the grease pit. This is exact;y why some small indie shops are better - you will have the master tech changing your oil. I've done thousands over a Half-Century myself. Nice to shut the brain down for a bit.

- Ken
Or at least aware of what's going on in the garage. As a business owner who makes my living based on my reputation, I may have staff doing certain things but I'm always watching and I'm always aware of what they are doing and any issues.

You made the right call, I didn't. I should have left and just gone to Subaru.
I took hold of the car. The service at the dealership said they were able to get the job done just fine. Soooo there's that I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Not ideal by any stretch, but 5 quarts in a 6.8-capacity system for a short drive won’t do any harm.
Agree 100%. Still I am curious what the dipstick would read after adding 5 quarts to a 6.8-quart system. Guessing slightly below the ADD mark...? Still not a big deal for a short drive.

Agree 100%. Still I am curious what the dipstick would read after adding 5 quarts to a 6.8-quart system. Guessing slightly below the ADD mark...? Still not a big deal for a short drive.
It didn't even register on it as far as I recall.

I took hold of the car. The service at the dealership said they were able to get the job done just fine. Soooo there's that I suppose 🤷‍♂️
@buster The story deepens o_O They didn't complete all the services I needed at the dealership yesterday, so I went back today to wrap things up. They gave me the invoice for the work done in both days, and it mentioned replacing a couple of underside bolts. So I guess the Valvoline folks were correct!

There is a really good chance the lube "tech" took your 5qt jug of M1 home with him and filled you car up with the dealer's bulk dino oil.

All Subaru I've serviced have a drain plug port through the undertray. There is no need to need to remove the tray. What model is this?

Recenlty took the Subaru to Valvoline for an overdue oil change as I haven't been keeping up with it or felt the urge to do so. ....

Sorry for the kidney stone health issue man. Not defending Valvoline, but maybe they didn't screw up.
I had a Subaru with a "soft" bolt for a drain plug that @Al chided me for not using proper tool or procedure. I think it was the first FB25 in a Forester a decade ago. They kept the huge bolt but went to a small head instead of the meaty 17mm.

This was change #2 after the Dealer "freebie"OC. I used a 6 point box end wrench as usual. Threads rounded right off. Went to parts counter, guy wouldn't give me a free one(!) Even though I claimed it was made of mild steel or pot metal.

I Kept the plug as a memento on my desk for ages. And photographed it.

Get well, feel well! - Ken

FB engine 14mm head drain plug

FB14mmdrainplug_100211.JPG

Sorry for the kidney stone health issue man. Not defending Valvoline, but maybe they didn't screw up.
I had a Subaru with a "soft" bolt for a drain plug that @Al chided me for not using proper tool or procedure. I think it was the first FB25 in a Forester a decade ago. They kept the huge bolt but went to a small head instead of the meaty 17mm.

This was change #2 after the Dealer "freebie"OC. I used a 6 point box end wrench as usual. Threads rounded right off. Went to parts counter, guy wouldn't give me a free one(!) Even though I claimed it was made of mild steel or pot metal.

I Kept the plug as a memento on my desk for ages. And photographed it.

Get well, feel well! - Ken

FB engine 14mm head drain plug

View attachment 142670
You could be right. I have no way of knowing bc the guy was under the car while I was in it. I took a chance going there for the convenience factor only and got burned. Oh well.

Back