Dealership screwed up oil change

What do you expect when you let someone making $14 an hour change the oil in your car.
Minimal competence and being 1.8 quarts short is not minimally competent. It is after all their job so let's stop making excuses for incompetent work. They did agree to that $14 and it's not like paying them $25 would change their attitude of not really caring about their work. The entire scenario is completely unacceptable.

What do you expect when you let someone making $14 an hour change the oil in your car.
It's not the pay, it's the kid.

Some times you get a dud regardless of pay. But then you better notice that and let 'em go. That visibility and feedback can be hard to come by in a big dealership.

I'm sure the service manager (or some farmed-out HR org) doesn't spend to much time vetting the guy (or gal) Heck it may even be the Owner's Daughter's boyfriend.
They gave the dubber a job as a favour.

Pay more and get better is a fallacy. There are smart and motivated at all price points.

Minimal competence and being 1.8 quarts short is not minimally competent. It is after all their job so let's stop making excuses for incompetent work.

These people are working on vehicles that cost tens of thousands of dollars. I've never had a job where I knew my duties going in and I thought to myself I'm not going to do it well because they only pay me $14 per hour or I know this job is worth $20 per hour but all they're going to get from me is $14 per hour worth of effort. If they agree to do the job it's not too much to expect them to do it well.

But all too many people let them off the hook with, "What do you expect for $14/hr?"

My answer is my oil changed with some minimal level of competence.

Always DIY if you can. And for things you can't triple check everything and assume the worst. Don't ask me how I know after a history of "professional" services performed with the many vehicles I and my family have owned.

Sad to say this applies to everything, not only vehicle service these days. Remember we live in a disposable society. Apologies for the cynicism.
I'm intending to do a transmission fluid change next time. How would I even verify that they did the job right? I'm hoping that since the drive train has a 10 year/100K mile warranty, they're on the hook if anything goes wrong.

Last edited:
Back when I acquired my 2017 Chevy SS, I took advantage of the first two freebee’ oil changes. I still had a few more to go, but after multiple screw ups from the Chevrolet dealership in Yuma, Arizona, I decided it wasn’t worth any more headaches with multiple returns to fix what they screw up. From that point forward I started using a local lube pit where they allow me to be near the car and watch all of the work being performed. I bring my own oil, filter, and plug gasket. In and out in 20-minutes or less.; try that at a dealership! 🤨
The SS is a great car! I love my 2016. I didn’t use the 2 free oil serviced. The only guy The only guy who has changed my oil is ME. The oil change at the dealer can involve front to rear tire rotations that ruin two wheels and brake calipers (rear wheels do NOT fit on the front).

The big problem with Dealer. service Departments, is that they take car behind a big wall, you can’t see the car, and you have no idea what was done to it.

I have a nearby Kia dealer service area that I can see everything. I can stand outside the. Bay and watch.
I DONT GO INSIDE unless the tech invites me.
Nearby Buick is the same.

Hyundai dealer I have been using now has outside service area fenced off, so I cant watch anymore This dealer shop Forman will allow me to watch him change oil filter on my 3.5 Genesis G80 (very complicated).

I'm intending to do a transmission fluid change next time. How would I even verify that they did the job right? I'm hoping that since the drive train has a 10 year/100K mile warranty, they're on the hook if anything goes wrong.
If you're asking this question you clearly don't trust them and so I ask why would you bring it back to them for anything? I'd bring it to an indy shop I trust. If you want to get really fancy bring it to an indy transmission shop.

Unless you are physically unable to do so, change it yourself next time if you want it done right.

I'm in my 70s and now do simple, yet important maint myself. Especially oil filters, drain plugs and lug nuts.

1) if I understand correctly, the dealership only failed to install the last quart of supplied oil; so the engine was running on 5.8 qrts rather than 6.8 qrts. That's not likely to be a problem.

2) I'm not familiar with the vehicle, but I have to assume it has some sort of warning light/alarm for a low oil pressure. That is FAR more important to the story than how much oil it had in it. As long as the oil pressure system didn't indicate a problem, there's no reason to fear any damage.

3) single UOAs will give you some info, but the value of a single UOA isn't so much as to tell how things are going well, but rather if they are going wrong. A single UOA could show heavy contamination in the intake tract (high Si). It could show a massive fuel dilution (leaking injector). It could show the wrong oil vis was used (it'd have to be WAY off; like a 20w-50 instead of 5w-30 to be of any real concern). What the single UOA will not show you is anything worthy of praise; you just cannot get that kind of conclusion from a single UOA.

I check under the hood before leaving the shop. More than once I have found tools left under the hood.

Paco
My favorite large and small long handle flat head screwdrivers were gifts from mechanics. One guy forgot to tighten the motor mount he had just installed, and then I started getting more serious about working on my own cars...

If you're asking this question you clearly don't trust them and so I ask why would you bring it back to them for anything? I'd bring it to an indy shop I trust. If you want to get really fancy bring it to an indy transmission shop.
I'm taking it to a different dealership. My question was a more general one regarding any service at any dealership though.

Back