Dealership license plate frames

Speaking of which, I applied for a personalized plate and it's likely approved as it no longer shows as available but reserved (imagine if someone beat me to it--I doubt it, they would have had 35 years to think of it), so I do want a frame around it and thin. Again, it astounds me when a frame covers the state's name etc.

If the police have time for that there are too many...
I am a very pro police...anti 'defund' the police guy but I agree with you totally. Where I live we have Village police, Town police, State police and the Sheriff's office all doing 'patrols'. Traffic enforcement (revenue) seems to be the main goal but none are ever around when the rare crime occurs. We could do with less 'policing' here IMO especially since many people are armed (a lot of off duty police and civilians with CC permits live in my area.)

NYC, where I unfortunately have to go often is another story.

Growing up in NYC in the 60s and 70s we had 'beat cops' who walked a beat and were a deterrent to crime. Later on the NYPD went to RMP only (I think it stands for Radio Motor Patrol which means 2 cops in a car riding around). I do realize that a single cop walking a beat in NYC would be in much more danger today than years ago but I feel that a pair of 'foot cops' would do more to deter crime than the RMP strategy.

Because of the current climate in America many police want to avoid pulling over anybody that might cause problems so they often concentrate on 'safe' targets....otherwise law abiding citizens who maybe didn't notice the speed limit dropped to 30 mph a mile outside of town or with an expired inspection. The last thing a cop wants to deal with is a whacko on the train (or street for that matter) who is threatening passengers and is a member of a minority group....that can be a career ender when Al Sharpton and Co. get involved.

Just took mine off, as I did receive the vanity plate mentioned earlier. It is a dealer license plate frame, from CT, and it blocked Pennsylvania on the top, and the Visit pa.com on the bottom. I agree with the OP, why would any dealership in the nation, not have the frame below the screw holes? And yes, in PA, there are bigger fish to fry as there are photocopied fake plates, or, ones that cannot be read at all due to a covering, or bike hitch.

When I went to put the new plate on, both screws were rusted, and I followed a YouTube suggestion which was to rip the old plate off to expose the screws. The right side snapped off--after drilling with left hand bits, the threads still stuck to the weld nut of the trunk. Yesterday, I went to at least buy a new screw and there were no stainless steel ones available. Settled for a M6-1 zinc, and put some anti-seize for if I ever have to remove again. I don't want to rip off a vanity plate, I'd likely keep it and hang it on a wall.....

IMG-5891.jpg

I won't buy a car if the dealer puts their dealer name stickers on the paint. I also order chrome license plate frames immediately with the brand of the car Mercedes, Mazda etc... and toss the dealer frames in the trash.

I won't buy a car if the dealer puts their dealer name stickers on the paint. I also order chrome license plate frames immediately with the brand of the car Mercedes, Mazda etc... and toss the dealer frames in the trash.
It boggles my mind. I believe an employee must work for a BMW dealer near me as his house has 4 brand new BMWs in the driveway at all times and the models change (no dealer tags). There's some sort of fancy SUV maybe electric who cares I know, where the dealer name is glued to the side of the plate, and it's crooked. Why would any dealer allow their name, to be applied crooked? That's simply beyond stupid imho. Lots of cars are like that, and I wonder why the driver would accept that.

I have a friend that was was charged with DUI (well deserved) he was pulled over because one of his tail lights was burned out.
In police work that's called fishing. When you go fishing, most of the time you throw back small fish. I guess this fish was big enough to keep if you know what I mean.

I am a very pro police...anti 'defund' the police guy but I agree with you totally. Where I live we have Village police, Town police, State police and the Sheriff's office all doing 'patrols'. Traffic enforcement (revenue) seems to be the main goal but none are ever around when the rare crime occurs. We could do with less 'policing' here IMO especially since many people are armed (a lot of off duty police and civilians with CC permits live in my area.)

NYC, where I unfortunately have to go often is another story.

Growing up in NYC in the 60s and 70s we had 'beat cops' who walked a beat and were a deterrent to crime. Later on the NYPD went to RMP only (I think it stands for Radio Motor Patrol which means 2 cops in a car riding around). I do realize that a single cop walking a beat in NYC would be in much more danger today than years ago but I feel that a pair of 'foot cops' would do more to deter crime than the RMP strategy.

Because of the current climate in America many police want to avoid pulling over anybody that might cause problems so they often concentrate on 'safe' targets....otherwise law abiding citizens who maybe didn't notice the speed limit dropped to 30 mph a mile outside of town or with an expired inspection. The last thing a cop wants to deal with is a whacko on the train (or street for that matter) who is threatening passengers and is a member of a minority group....that can be a career ender when Al Sharpton and Co. get involved.
I remember driving in NYC even before Spike Lee made films, and it was more precarious than his films depicted. And I had a mouth. One time a cop (passenger) said we made a right on red, illegal in NYC, which it was, so I'm going to go around the block, stop, and wait for the light to change, and they're going to follow us while we do that. Can you sense the meanness?

I saw the driver laughing, so I said, you think it's funny fat ***? I'm not going to drive around the block for no reason. Why don't you write a summons instead?

Then I was told you are going to drive around the block like we said, or get a beatdown. See how they interacted back then? Pre CPR.

My buddy was scared, he said just do what they say.

I wanted to use a Jack Nicholson line from a Roman Polanski film. This was PCT 5. And it was 1986.

edit: I went back and looked and it wasn't Jack Nicholson who used the line, it was Joe Mantell, who played his assistant. But it was the most famous line in the film, other than the salt water bad for glass one

Last edited:
With my wife's previous subaru, the dealer didn't even give us the plate mounting bracket for the front plate. This is a two plate state.

When taking off her paper temp plate and installing her hard plates, I went back and inquired to the floor sales manager about the bracket, and they said, "Oh some cars come with them and some don't. I said, you are selling a car in a state that requires an installed front plate. Does parts have them and can you can give me one? The guy said I don't know - so I went to parts counter, they had nothing in stock, they said they could order me one for ... it think it was 60-70 bucks. I said no way! This should be provided! Then some other sales guy said to bring it back and I"ll put it on for you. And I said how? He said, "I'll just drill a couple holes in the bumper." I stormed out of there.
Funniest thing in this story, I went Walmart, I got out of my car, and there was a polymer license plate bracket lying next to my door in the snow and slush when I stepped got out. It was in good shape. I grabbed it and I used it!

If a cop stopped me for partial blocked plate State lettering, I'd say, the dealer installed it and they were also the inspection station and they passed it. Better go talk to them. And occifer, I only had 4 or 5 beers in a couple hours; I weigh in at over 250, so, I should blow under a point 08. I know I leaned that in State rehab :)

With my wife's previous subaru, the dealer didn't even give us the plate mounting bracket for the front plate. This is a two plate state.

When taking off her paper temp plate and installing her hard plates, I went back and inquired to the floor sales manager about the bracket, and they said, "Oh some cars come with them and some don't. I said, you are selling a car in a state that requires an installed front plate. Does parts have them and can you can give me one? The guy said I don't know - so I went to parts counter, they had nothing in stock, they said they could order me one for ... it think it was 60-70 bucks. I said no way! This should be provided! Then some other sales guy said to bring it back and I"ll put it on for you. And I said how? He said, "I'll just drill a couple holes in the bumper." I stormed out of there.
Funniest thing in this story, I went Walmart, I got out of my car, and there was a polymer license plate bracket lying next to my door in the snow and slush when I stepped got out. It was in good shape. I grabbed it and I used it!

If a cop stopped me for partial blocked plate State lettering, I'd say, the dealer installed it and they were also the inspection station and they passed it. Better go talk to them. And occifer, I only had 4 or 5 beers in a couple hours; I weigh in at over 250, so, I should blow under a point 08. I know I leaned that in State rehab :)
I know that we don't need nor want to, "boil the ocean," but I don't think I would have accepted that Subaru dealer's answer. Not if I spent my hard earned money on a new car from them. Again, I'd be Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces with the Chicken salad sandwich.

I mean what I say. I had a Porsche under warranty and suddenly it became $900+ for the repair. I told the service advisor to give me a call when it's $0. They thought they had me, because certainly I'm going to put vanity (getting my beautiful Porsche back) over principle, but they were dead wrong. 3 days later they called and said the repair was in fact under warranty and $0.

I know that we don't need nor want to, "boil the ocean," but I don't think I would have accepted that Subaru dealer's answer. Not if I spent my hard earned money on a new car from them. Again, I'd be Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces with the Chicken salad sandwich.

I mean what I say. I had a Porsche under warranty and suddenly it became $900+ for the repair. I told the service advisor to give me a call when it's $0. They thought they had me, because certainly I'm going to put vanity (getting my beautiful Porsche back) over principle, but they were dead wrong. 3 days later they called and said the repair was in fact under warranty and $0.
Yeah, I have heart and BP issues. I gave it a good argument with the manager - they have "customer service after the sale" at zero priority. I have to walk away. I don't do business with them anymore - too bad they have some good techs there.

No dealer frames or stickers on my truck . I even removed the cheesey badging off of the tailgate . Much cleaner look .

Weird, usually the salesman will just pull one out of the trunk from another that's on the lot and send you on your way.

Any hardcore drinker will drink more than 12 in one sitting. They still could drink a 6 pack and be over the legal limit, yet not be impaired due to their tolerance. Hardcore drinkers should be able to earn credits that can be taken into consideration if stopped (of course I’m joking 🙂)

Any hardcore drinker will drink more than 12 in one sitting. They still could drink a 6 pack and be over the legal limit, yet not be impaired due to their tolerance. Hardcore drinkers should be able to earn credits that can be taken into consideration if stopped (of course I’m joking 🙂)
All joking aside...I've known several guys who could drink 4, 5 or 6 beers and function fine...I think they are called 'functional alcoholics'....I also knew several guys who became total clowns after 2 beers...we called them "2 beer commandos". I'm not sure the BA level of .08 (which is legally drunk in NY State) is a a true indication of being 'impaired' but I guess it's the best we have.

All joking aside...I've known several guys who could drink 4, 5 or 6 beers and function fine...I think they are called 'functional alcoholics'....I also knew several guys who became total clowns after 2 beers...we called them "2 beer commandos". I'm not sure the BA level of .08 (which is legally drunk in NY State) is a a true indication of being 'impaired' but I guess it's the best we have.
They look like they're fine because they've adapted to performing repetitive (sometimes complex) tasks while drunk. Hit them with a divided attention scenario or something entirely unfamiliar and the wheels start to fall off.

In Ontario never heard of anyone getting a ticket for this. Virtually all new cars have them.

Dealers don't even carry the shorter screws/bolts to install a plate without the frame.

Thats why its better to remove it yourself vs asking them.

They will use the same long screws and potentially damage something. Not all cars can take the extra length.

In Ontario never heard of anyone getting a ticket for this. Virtually all new cars have them.

Dealers don't even carry the shorter screws/bolts to install a plate without the frame.

Thats why its better to remove it yourself vs asking them.

They will use the same long screws and potentially damage something. Not all cars can take the extra length.
I know you're not allowed to cover the state name for state inspection in WV or PA.

Weird, usually the salesman will just pull one out of the trunk from another that's on the lot and send you on your way.
Believe me, I was scanning the lot for another new one. I think they are port installed. It's a big black plastic bump-out. My wife's salesperson wasn't there that day, i was hoping the floor manager would step up this being a Subaru dealer and not a Chevy dealer.

At least they are supposed to feign 'friendly' and then let you down softly.

Back