Dealer bulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can of worms. First find out what they use then compare to your veh specs. Then come back here.

7500 really is not that long. Any oil will due, I have a 01 Silverado with 360k miles and the original motor that's seen nothing but the cheapest of oils at 7500 OCI's.

Originally Posted By: fscarano
I asked, the parts dept or the service writer had no clue which kind of bothered me.

What about the Service Manager? Sounds like you need to get a UOA, find another dealer, or start doing it yourself!

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
7500 really is not that long. Any oil will due, I have a 01 Silverado with 360k miles and the original motor that's seen nothing but the cheapest of oils at 7500 OCI's.

+1 If they are using any SN or even SM motor oil you could get 7,500 without issue.

That is concerning that the parts guy can't tell you what oil they use. Ouch

I asked, the parts dept or the service writer had no clue which kind of bothered me.

Any oil will be fine as long as it has the correct spec for your veh.

If I asked a dealer what brand of fluid they used for any component of my car and i was given an "i dont know", I would have taken the keys right back and gone elsewhere. I have dealt with countless dealers (different manufacturers as well) throughout my years and i have never had a dealer say that to me regarding their fluids.

This dealer has been doing my OC's since I purchased the car. However, I do bring my own oil. I was just wondering if I could trust the bulk oil at the dealership.

If the dealer doesnt know what brand they use, they probably dont know what specs it has. With that limited info we have I would have to say, No. This sounds like a dealer that would put conventional oil in a veh that requires synthetic. Crazy.

Is this the Hyundai dealer? I'd keep bringing your own oil. Same price if you get a good deal on it plus probably much better quality than generic bulk. Esp on a DI engine if this is for the 2012 Hyundai.

Last edited:
You can trust the bulk oil at the Stealer to be the cheapest oil they can buy at the time they purchased it in most cases..And even if you ask them who knows if they even know what kind of oil they use or if they are telling the truth..I know there are a few really good dealers but most of them are not on the up and up and some of their workers are brain dead.. Again this is not all of them sometimes you find a good one.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Is this the Hyundai dealer? I'd keep bringing your own oil. Same price if you get a good deal on it plus probably much better quality than generic bulk. Esp on a DI engine if this is for the 2012 Hyundai.

Yes it's a Hyundai dealership. yes, it's a 2012 Hyundai Sonata.

Last edited:
If its the car in your sig then it would be fine. I would still try to find out the brand just because youre entitled to know what youre buying.

No offense to your dealer, i like hyundai's and i have a lot of friends who own them and love them, but customer service at Hyundai dealers has been a sore topic for everyone I know. Some have left the brand just because of lack of dealer support.

Originally Posted By: stower17
If its the car in your sig then it would be fine. I would still try to find out the brand just because youre entitled to know what youre buying.

No offense to your dealer, i like hyundai's and i have a lot of friends who own them and love them, but customer service at Hyundai dealers has been a sore topic for everyone I know. Some have left the brand just because of lack of dealer support.

I've been lucky. I'm on a first name basis with the service dept writers and tech's. They have treated me well and don't up sell believe it or not. I just find it troubling they don't know what brand of oil they use.

GM was the same way with customer service at dealers. Ever since the new CEO Mary Barra has been in charge I have noticed a huge improvement in customer service. I frequent 3 Chevy dealers for parts and all have had a 180 degree turnaround. In fact, they all have at least one female employee working the parts counter now, that never used to be the case. A lot of the negativity has been removed, I think its something Hyundai needs to look into.

The car in my sig had the dreaded ignition switch debacle so idk if my experience is different but I get a ph call from some GM cust service center like twice a year now asking how my veh is doing and if there are any services i need and they offer to schedule it with a dealer of my choosing if i need a service. They basically call to chat for a minute.

The oil they're using may not really even have a brand name. It's probably just whatever is provided in bulk from their oil distributor. Hyundai's only oil requirements are SM/GF-4 or higher, so I'm sure they have that covered.

As an example, I've delivered lots of this stuff to dealers. It's also what we use in our fleet at my work. They really don't know or care what "brand" it is, they just call their sales rep and say "I need some more 5W-30" (or whatever grade they need)

Originally Posted By: stower17

I've been lucky. I'm on a first name basis with the service dept writers and tech's. They have treated me well and don't up sell believe it or not. I just find it troubling they don't know what brand of oil they use.

Ask him if he could find out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back