How many people prefer to use the dealer for services while under factory warranty?

I know most people here prefer to do their own basic maintenance, but I was just curious who uses the dealer while still under factory warranty and why. Thanks.

I did for the last vehicle I purchased. They were nice, they let me furnish the oil and they installed the an OEM filter.

Am doing that on two Subarus currently. Cost of oil change isn't that much more than my independent, and Saturday service is a plus. So far, so good.

I used the dealer for warranty work when the van was still under warranty (2012-2015). They also offered $12.95 OC because I bought the van there, but I eventually grew tired of spending 1+ hours waiting for them to finish; I then started doing all the maintenance and saved a whole lotta time.

What is a warranty?

At 50, I have still never bought a new car. I went to the BMW dealer a few years ago to have the airbag recall performed on my wife’s wagon. The steering wheel locked because the wheels were turned and the young service rep couldn’t figure out to wiggle it so the ignition key would turn. At that moment I felt old.

I have two new cars under warranty and do my own oil changes. OEM oil filters. Keep pictures of receipts and pictures of the oil changes in progress in case any questions come up down the road. Also I do them before OEM recommended intervals.

The dealer, as little as possible, you have to pay the warranty and the manufacturer is obliged to honor it, do your maintenance according to schedule with the right parts and keep your invoices, I had 2 oil changes done on my car by the dealer and 2 times the oil change was not done, if your oil is not dark it remains in the engine, but invoiced, I have been a mechanic for 42 years, I am able to see if the work is good done, it's for you for your money that's all, now I do all my maintenance myself, there are good garages and bad ones.

Last edited:
I know most people here prefer to do their own basic maintenance, but I was just curious who uses the dealer while still under factory warranty and why. Thanks.
'Queenie Blue' here (traded in my 2015 F150 for a new 2024 Honda Odyssey EX-L hence the name change).

Yeah - I have all my maintenance performed at a local Honda dealership (yeah I know the oem filters are Fram orange cans and the 0w-20 'full synthetic' is likely a semi-blend by Phillips 66, or Kendall).

Maintenance is 'free' for the 1st two years, or 24K miles https://automobiles.honda.com/news-and-events/honda-service-pass

However they want you to go down to 15% on the oil life and I'm not gonna wait to get to that point (approx 7.5K miles) for the 'free' service. Instead I got my 1st oil change at 3.5K and the service writer gave me a $25 discount (awfully nice of her to do so). I continue to go with the oci every 5K miles (hopefully I'll get the discount too).

So yeah - long story short - my new ride is under warranty, got the 8 years/120K miles extended warranty (purchased from Saccucci Honda), all Honda dealerships here in 'Murica are linked, and did I mention that I'm too lazy and living in a condo I don't have all the space/tools for auto maintenance?

I typically only used dealer warranty when something under warranty needs fix. My car was into the dealer a few weeks ago for it's free oil change, tire rotation and inspection. They did not rotate the tires though the invoice showed tires rotated.

I just did a 40k fluid change on the AWD Haldex system on Atlas. My Atlas has 120k warranty. However, the 5th generation Haldex, which was developed by Borg-Warner (they acquired Haldex I think in 2016) does not have regular filter, but some screen that catches flakes.
VW dealership will just change the fluid and call it a day. Super easy. However, the critical thing is to remove the pump and clean the screen, and VW won't do that. There are numerous reports of Buck Regal's and Opel's having issues, but GM does not recommend any type of service on Haldex 5th gen.
So, I do not want to take the car to VW and then end up again under the car doing work, but just short a few hundred $.

One thing to consider is dealerships use bulk oil and under warranty would only change that bulk oil at 10k OCI.
Not the kind of thing you want to happen to a new car that you just paid a lot of money for.

I do, to avoid issues about whether the maintenance was sufficient to maintain the warranty. The only exception, and its a minor one, is that I take the Lexus to a Toyota dealer for routine maintenance because the nearest Lexus dealer is 90 miles away, and a Lexus is just a fancy Toyota.

Nope. Not unless it's a warranty item. Even then I don't like it. Missing flash shield screws, stripped oil drain plug, etc.

Short of pulling an engine or transmission, I do it myself.

I realize not everyone can do that. My advice is find a good INDY to do it for you. Dealership maintenance in my area is not great. YMMV.

One thing to consider is dealerships use bulk oil and under warranty would only change that bulk oil at 10k OCI.
Not the kind of thing you want to happen to a new car that you just paid a lot of money for.
Depends on who’s paying for it. If you bought a service package through the manufacturer then they will only pay for it for the miles/time interval on the contract. My local Ford dealership does 19.95 oil changes and as long as you’re paying for it you can get your oil changed every day.

First free oil change on the 2021 Sierra the invoice said they put in 0W-20. I asked the service writer if that was correct, he said yes, I then told him the 6.6 gas calls for 5W-30. Another service writer overheard and came over and said the tech put in the right oil and entered it wrong in the computer. Service manager wouldn't change it. Went home drained it into clean jugs to use in other vehicles and put in 5W-30. Had it in for one warranty thing and that's it. No they won't get my business.

Back