How many people prefer to use the dealer for services while under factory warranty?

I begrudgingly had the dealer service my Toyotas under the free service plan while under warranty. Wanted it on paper. Wasted time but not money, LOL.

I have used the dealer for all of our new cars for service while under warranty simply out of convenience. Most of the time there is a recall or warranty issue and I just combine the visit. I still DIY under warranty too.

First free oil change on the 2021 Sierra the invoice said they put in 0W-20. I asked the service writer if that was correct, he said yes, I then told him the 6.6 gas calls for 5W-30. Another service writer overheard and came over and said the tech put in the right oil and entered it wrong in the computer. Service manager wouldn't change it. Went home drained it into clean jugs to use in other vehicles and put in 5W-30. Had it in for one warranty thing and that's it. No they won't get my business.
There is a huge financial incentive for dealerships to use the cheapest bulk oil they can get. The companies that make the bulk oil also know that "lowest price" is the way to make the sale. So bulk oil is likely the worst oil with most "group I" percentage base stocks.

I honestly think it's cheaper to buy the low priced 5 quart jugs and high efficiency filters from Walmart and either do the oil change yourself, or find a shop that charges a small labor charge and let you bring your own oil and filter.

Prefer, yes. Do, no.

Time out of my day. Would rather do at my leisure. Some concerns about how well it's done. That said, I know they can do reflashes or whatever in the background, and it's not like I'm infallible either.

My 2018 Subaru went to the dealer for service for the first 2 years IIRC, whatever was included with the purchase of the car. Serviced by me after that until I sold it recently.

No, unless the oil changes are free (already paid for). My current 2017 vehicle has never been back to the dealer but I know there is a recall coming, so that will be its first time back.

Oil and filter changes, basic AF and CAF changes, no. Under warranty or not, no difference for me. Diy, at least as long as physically able. Now if it was free/included with purchase, likely consider using it.

The local Ram dealers here are terrible. I only have one warranty issue approaching 60k miles. A leaky CV boot. Tried to get it in before PT warranty expires and everyone is too booked and difficult to deal with so I’ll just open it up and re grease/re clamp myself. Not worth the effort.

Conversely, the Honda dealers here have been great. We had an AC issue on my girlfriends Civic that ended up being extended warranty. Completed and informed us it was repaired free of charge and days before it was due to be finished. I also had them do the 6 year coolant flush because for 105 dollars it wasn’t worth my time especially considering the parts cost I’d have paid + my labor.

I do the basic maintenance on her car like belts/plugs/fluids/brakes.

Brought my lease VW to selling bc the lift is tied up with $$$ classic car repairs. I Can't do the belly shield with the car on the ground. Plus it was a lease. They still installed the incorrect oil spec. LOL. Cost me over $130- to make that one OC correct.

Wife's subarus get a mixture of me doing an OC and the dealer gets the next one for a tire rotation. Got to throw them a bone if you want the time of day when things go sour.

I have done all the OCI on my Ford as I was monitoring fuel dilution plus it's an easy one. selling dealer gets tire rotations and Safety and Emission inspections. I may give them an OCI this spring as the engine making a racket. - Ken

Oil and filter changes, basic AF and CAF changes, no. Under warranty or not, no difference for me. Diy, at least as long as physically able. Now if it was free/included with purchase, likely consider using it.
This is what I usually do. I've done some transmission services/coolant changes in the past, now I prefer not too. Oil changes, air filters, cabin filters, tire rotations, are about all I do now.

This is what I usually do. I've done some transmission services/coolant changes in the past, now I prefer not too. Oil changes, air filters, cabin filters, tire rotations, are about all I do now.
Simple trans d&f can be an iffy call for diy under warranty. But, as many/most OM/MM(Honda) "recommended" intervals on the long side, I think diy works for doing a shorter then recommended interval. So perhaps, none needed to maintain warranty through dealer. But, I get the reluctance with that one. Tire rotations FOC at Discount Tire.

I like to do my own maintenance and I know for sure what oil goes into my cars. I also don't worry about the drain plug and filter being over tightened and difficult to work with the next time I work on it. I also do other routine maintenance work on my cars and I know for sure tires are rotated and other needed things are done correctly. Actually, I enjoy doing these things myself.

As I have mentioned before-I have had dozens upon dozens of dealer visits for oil changes and warranty work without any issues. Some of us over 60 do not consider crawling underneath a vehicle a recreational sport or hobby.

I know most people here prefer to do their own basic maintenance, but I was just curious who uses the dealer while still under factory warranty and why. Thanks.

Depends on your location I would think. I have 2 years of legal warranty on a new car, and the rest is contractual. The contract says all maintenance has to be done by an authorised dealer. Don't go there and they WILL tell you to pound sand in case of a substantial repair.

I do the absolute minimal maintenance through the dealer, and additional myself. They don't know there's been extra oil changes though

I do, to avoid issues about whether the maintenance was sufficient to maintain the warranty. The only exception, and its a minor one, is that I take the Lexus to a Toyota dealer for routine maintenance because the nearest Lexus dealer is 90 miles away, and a Lexus is just a fancy Toyota.
I’ve done that with wife’s Lexus. The first time I did the Toyota dealer acted like they couldn’t or didn’t (more likely didn’t want to) wanna touch it. I pointed out it was just a fancy Camry and shouldn’t be any trouble to change oil.

I pass. It’s a waste of time heading to dealer and wait. Especially on Hondas. Filter gets changed every other time…I don’t think so.

I pass. It’s a waste of time heading to dealer and wait. Especially on Hondas. Filter gets changed every other time…I don’t think so.
While I've only very rarely had Honda dealer oil and filter change, personally never seen a dealer follow the every other OC fci recommendation. I'm doubtful many a Honda "service advisor" even knows meaning what A vs B means on the MM display.

Back