Wondering about manufacturer Oil requirements VS dealer practices

A 2024 KIA Soul 2.0L MPI iVT, the subject vehicle's owner's manual suggest a brand "KIAENERGIES" and requires "Full Synthetic 0W-20, API SN PLUS/ SP or ILSAC GF-6". The brand "KIAENERGIES" is also printed under the hood in large letters. I am not concerned much about the Brand Name not being available anywhere, not even at the dealerships. But I wonder why KIA would continue to print labels and affix them under the hood and suggest it in the Owner's Manual knowing the Brand isn't available or in use by the dealers. I am concerned however, why when asked, the dealers say they use 0W-20 Pennzoil but cannot comment on the "Full Synthetic 0W-20, API SN PLUS/ SP or ILSAC GF-6" because they say it comes in bulk containers and they don't know. I also wonder what Bob and some of you think about this.
It sounds like you do not trust what is in the Containers, so do not wonder what Bob thinks here, wondering and and being concerned tells me just use Mobil 1 or HPL!

I had a bike from Kia back in 1976, 3 speed, a Schwinn would have been better.

Anything in a Bulk Container will be cheap oil, how much does this 2024 KIA Soul cost?

My next bike was a Sante Fe Huffy, heavy bike, my friend had a Schwinn Le Tour, he let me have it, nice low weight bike.

Nice trip down Memory Lane!

Most, if not all of these KIA/Hyundai dealerships won't say or don't know what kind of bulk oil they're selling. Just walk into one of their service departments and ask, and you'll see.

We knew, and said it.

But the bulk is coming out of a tanker truck into our bulk tank, so no labels to show.

It sounds like you do not trust what is in the Containers, so do not wonder what Bob thinks here, wondering and and being concerned tells me just use Mobil 1 or HPL!

I had a bike from Kia back in 1976, 3 speed, a Schwinn would have been better.

Anything in a Bulk Container will be cheap oil, how much does this 2024 KIA Soul cost?

My next bike was a Sante Fe Huffy, heavy bike, my friend had a Schwinn Le Tour, he let me have it, nice low weight bike.

Nice trip down Memory Lane!
I like to talk bikes too. I've got many ranging from a 1976 Schwinn Paramount to a 2023 Specialized Creo SL - a fantastic bike. but requires no oil.

So after the fact no one knows what was delivered nor what is being used on customer vehicles. Not a clue?

It's always the same product. I'm sure there's an invoice aswell, and we have our tank labeled. The driver isn't supposed to fill a different product.

If there's however a mistake made when filling the truck, we wouldn't know.

The castrol magnatec 5W-40 OE was green though...

When I was a parts manager at a Hyundai dealership, we would get bulk oil from a local distributor. Hyundai also had/has a deal with quaker state. The local distributor was able to get the discounted quaker state but we would only use it on the new hyundais since they have the complimentary maintenance. We also got a bunch of drums of VW spec oil. The dealership decided to sell a bunch of the recall diesel cars back in 2019 or so.

So after the fact no one knows what was delivered nor what is being used on customer vehicles. Not a clue?
No liability there...

5ad6ca95101947299681dfa46838a1db.jpg

Welcome to the forum
As for being 100% sure, only you going and seeing the bottle/bulk delivery would clarify it 100%

A neighbor just took a Hyundai into our joint H/K service department, and this is all the R.O gives for specifics
View attachment 200086
Thank you for the welcome! The attachment is interesting. Looks like they're using 26350-2J001 oil at that dealership. And that pretty much sums up what I think...best thing to do is to take it in to the dealer for oil changes unless you want to do them yourself. In this way, no warranty claim can be deigned based on improper oil.

Thank you for the welcome! The attachment is interesting. Looks like they're using 26350-2J001 oil at that dealership. And that pretty much sums up what I think...best thing to do is to take it in to the dealer for oil changes unless you want to do them yourself. In this way, no warranty claim can be deigned based on improper oil.
If you wish to be overly cautious that is the safe route, but make no mistake the dealer will be at fault if they deviate from the Total Quartz - Kia marketing hype partnership. My company used to hawk a tattle tale program against dealers deviating from marketing programs, but guess what, there wasnt much money to make on our end because it was always "exceptions" exceptions". whatever haha

I like to talk bikes too. I've got many ranging from a 1976 Schwinn Paramount to a 2023 Specialized Creo SL - a fantastic bike. but requires no oil.

Lets talk bikes as if they were Motor Oil!

Kia is Bulk Oil
Schwinn is HPL Oil

I have not used HPL Oil yet, so I should call Schwinn Mobil 1 ESP! I am having a feeling that HPL might be a tad better than Mobil1 1 ESP, guess I have ta use the HPL oil and come back 2 this Thread!

I am having a feeling that HPL might be a tad better than Mobil1 1 ESP, guess I have ta use the HPL oil and come back 2 this Thread!
I waffled a bit (only a slight amount) about using an oil like HPL versus M1 ESP. In the end, the value was not there because:

1. M1 ESP performs very well--stays in grade, resists fuel dilution, low wear metals in UOAs
2. M1 ESP is (more or less) available over the counter versus having to order it
3. Fuel dilution kills long OCIs so it does not make economic sense to use HPL
3. HPL (at least that I see) does not offer a 0W-30 which having one viscosity makes it easier to run year round
4. HPL costs more overall despite the potential for longer OCIs.

For the average Joe like myself, I would be hard pressed to find a better "overall" oil than M1 ESP.
YMMV!

I waffled a bit (only a slight amount) about using an oil like HPL versus M1 ESP. In the end, the value was not there because:

1. M1 ESP performs very well--stays in grade, resists fuel dilution, low wear metals in UOAs
2. M1 ESP is (more or less) available over the counter versus having to order it
3. Fuel dilution kills long OCIs so it does not make economic sense to use HPL
3. HPL (at least that I see) does not offer a 0W-30 which having one viscosity makes it easier to run year round
4. HPL costs more overall despite the potential for longer OCIs.

For the average Joe like myself, I would be hard pressed to find a better "overall" oil than M1 ESP.
YMMV!

1. Both oils will do well!
2. Nice having a Motor Oil delivered to your door
3. Look at Wayne Wilson's Thread, then again his car was Fuel Injected not Direct Injection
3. You did 2 3's LOL, HPL does offer a 0W-30
4. You have to realize why HPL costs more, and this has been discussed here on this Forum.

I can see what you are saying about finding a better overall oil than Mobil 1 ESP, like you I thought Pennzoil Platinum was the GOAT until I used Mobil 1 ESP. The Mobil 1 ESP is going up in price which makes the HPL Motor Oil more interesting.

You also have to realize and you know this from being on this Forum that we have had Motor Oil's that have started out like the Cats Meow. What I am saying is that they started out good via VOA's and then they were cheapened to a certain extent and fell out of favor. I am hoping that the ESP line from Mobil will continue to be great, at least with HPL they are not going cheap on there oil.

Bob tapped out a long time ago.

Welcome. You opened up the forbidden door on here by asking a question ;)

I almost thought I figured out what you were asking, then I tapped out.

FWIW - my 2018 F150 calls for coolant that is no longer made, another F150 that I owned called for 5W-20 oil, then Ford said (a few years later) to put 5w-30 in it. The cap still said 5w-20, as did the owners manual.

Would you be shocked to hear someone say that in the vast majority of cases, oil is oil? If you can buy it at Wal Mart or TSC or Rural King or Bi-Mart or AAP or just about anywhere that isn't Jort Jeankle's Gas and Go, then it's good enough for your Kia. Because I'm saying it. I know this because there are thousands* of Kia Souls in my area and I'm betting 90% of them get oiled up at Quickie-Lube or the dealership, yet I don't really see hundreds of them lined up on the interstate with grenaded engines. I see a lot of them with people with strange hair colors and pierced foreheads and bumper stickers that say "I love my amoeba" and whatnot, but they are all running.

*maybe 10's of thousands, and some of them are pretty old

Back