de Havilland Beaver in AK

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Just got back from Alaska for a project/client I have there. A remote exploration camp on the SE AK coast. Last 2 years flown a charter out of Cordova in this de Havilland Beaver. Great flights both ways this year.

20230613_170841.jpg

Nice! I didn't know that there were any of those still flying. They used to be common several decades ago. What year was that one built?

Amusing fact: some Beavers have been upgraded with turbine engines, but many still run the original piston radial engine. You can tell which ones because they sound like flying Harley Davidsons. These are so thirsty - not only for fuel, but also for oil, that the panel has a spout for adding oil during flight.

I recall flying in a Beaver in 1973 in Northern Saskatchewan. The pilot spotted a black bear and did a steep bank to have a better look. That was my first experience to get the feel of a real plane.
Done the same!

Amusing fact: some Beavers have been upgraded with turbine engines, but many still run the original piston radial engine. You can tell which ones because they sound like flying Harley Davidsons. These are so thirsty - not only for fuel, but also for oil, that the panel has a spout for adding oil during flight.
Yep! This one was radial. So loud. Can confirm oil spout by my feet.

The other charter I've used has an Otter.
Another favourite is the de Haviland Twin Otter. I did a lot of flying on them in the 80’s in the Canadian Arctic between Inuvik and Tuktoyuktuk.
Here’s one in the Ken Borek colours. They flew one from South America to the Antarctic on a rescue mission.

CF00B489-F162-4C54-8AED-6AECE3C85F28.jpeg

Last edited:
Back