Colorado rack and rack tent...

Mods, please move if this is not where the subject belongs, as I was not sure.

My bride and I have been going to the Colorado mountains since shortly after we met about 15 years ago. We have become more and more intense, with our expeditions, with this last summer of 2022 having conquered two 14'ers back to back with our 11 year old son. We also do a ton of off roading, starting with my old Silverado 4x4 I had lifted, then a more extreme Nissan Xterra OFFROAD that was also lifted and modified. Now we have a 2021 ZR2, that will be traded in for a 2023 ZR2 in a day or two. We could not think of a better way to break it in, than to take it camping in the high elevations of CO. Our son will be at church camp, and we plan to take the week+ to explore detached from civilization. We have both done a ton of "primitive camping", and don't really need too much advice here, but what I am looking for is suggestions on an affordable bed rack where I can have a "roof tent". I will post a few pics to help...but some highlights...

-ideally multi-purpose as we also carry kayaks, and lumber
-can use a bed cover that is mostly water proof to carry gear while rack and tent is mounted
-tent water proofness and robustness is important
-I would like a solid shell tent cover to help with aero and fuel economy
-my bride would like a changing room (extension off to the side)

Examples to help explain...we plan on driving to a high elevation to work as a basecamp...on trails that don't really allow trailers, and we prefer not to have an on the ground tent.

Pics are for examples only, not what we are currently preferring. My bride likes the style of the second one with the area to stand up to change. I am more interested in the hard top, and a quality material and mattress.

1685552785715.jpg
1685552878732.jpg

To clarify...

Looking for a bed rack, bed cover and tent...all three (I have found combo bed racks and covers that work together)

Total budget is $5k for all three components.

Look up a company called Rack n Road. They have stores in Colorado for sure, other states too. They can help you nail down your options and purchases.

Back