Fun read on Buca De Beppo

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I may get banned and shunned from the food forum, but thought this article was a fun read on Buca De Beppo. I hope you have the time to read the article, pretty fascinating.

Of note- I have only been to Buca De Beppo once, just a few months ago in Albuquerque, NM- and was very underwhelmed. But that doesn't take away from this read. Sadly, the likely current downward spiral I experienced at Bucca De Beppo is likely going on at many like restaurants in the US.

And have to ask- do you have any local old school great food reasonably priced Italian places in your area? Last one I ate in was in downtown Shreveport, LA. Can't recall the name, but it was a cool experience.

Some quotes from the article:
But unlike the checked-tablecloth joints opened by immigrants of Sicily or Naples, Buca di Beppo was not founded by an Italian. It had no roots in Italy and no connection to the Italian-American immigrant experience. Yes, a place showcasing enough pope paraphernalia to border on evangelistic was founded by a Lutheran from central Illinois who told me that the best Italian restaurant in his hometown growing up was a Pizza Hut.

In 1993, Phil Roberts was an outgoing Minneapolis restaurateur with a successful steakhouse and a sleek, bistro-style Northern Italian restaurant. But he was obsessed with the red sauce joints he frequented when he’d visit his sons in college in the Northeast. “The way they displayed wealth was in the food they served,” he explained. “They kept the Christmas lights on all year-round. They hung up velvet paintings of Mount Vesuvius.” But he noticed that as the owners were aging, and Italian-Americans became more assimilated into mainstream American culture, these red sauce spots were closing—and there were certainly none like them in Minneapolis.

He wanted the decor to be tacky, the portions to be enormous, the atmosphere to be boisterous. He figured it didn’t matter that he wasn’t Italian in the slightest. There were also almost no red sauce joints in Minneapolis at the time, so diners wouldn’t have anything to compare it to. This was a restaurant, he says, “that was intentionally in bad taste, but good-natured bad taste.” The kind of place where the average diner could feel superior, and not feel bad about being puzzled over a wine list, or not knowing what kind of fork is used for a salad.
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...ed-sauce-chain?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

Interesting article.
Another chain place comes to mind that is similar is Maggiano's...more expensive and with a more upscale atmosphere...but large, family style portions of Southern Italian cuisine. Owned by the outfit that also owns Chili's.
I wouldn't eat in either...but I grew up in NJ and live outside of Philly and a second home at the Jersey shore. Small Italian places everywhere in these parts.

I went to their original Minneapolis location about 20 years ago a couple of times. It was definitely a unique experience. They always gave you way more food than you could possibly eat and then a grocery bag with several containers to take the leftovers home in. I remember it was really good food too. This was back when the entire chain had I think 2 or 3 locations.

Does anyone have an Old Spaghetti Factory near them? We used to have one of those in Minneapolis too, but sadly it closed down a few years ago. It was a neat place in a historic warehouse building filled with antique lamps and chandeliers and furniture. The food was basically a bunch of different varieties of spaghetti, so nothing real fancy, but the prices were very reasonable, and if I remember correctly they gave you a choice of either milk, iced tea or coffee to go with your meal for free. If you wanted Coke or something else to drink it would cost you extra. Oh, and free spumoni or chocolate ice cream when you were done. It came in basically an oversized thimble, so not very much of it, but it was good and a nice little touch. I wish they were still around.

Didn't realize it was a chain. There one at a mall not far away and have been there a few times years ago when they had coupons, since prices are pretty high. $27 for ONE meatball, $24 for a Caesar salad. No thanks. I know the portions are big, but still, that's a lot for a 1/2 pound of ground beef and a bowl of lettuce.

And have to ask- do you have any local old school great food reasonably priced Italian places in your area?
I live in a town known for great restaurants. Yes, more than I can count. In fact, so many good options that when another restaurant is going to open, folks in tow say “I hope it’s not another Italian place”.

There was a Buca de Beppo not too far, but it closed many years ago.

Does anyone have an Old Spaghetti Factory near them?
Not close, but the one in Pittsburgh was a place we often went if in the city. It has been closed a number of years now if I’m not mistaken. Always enjoyed it there.

Have one in Louisville and the food is very good...no problems at all..

So long as you accept and understand what it is, they are good at what they do. Fine dining it is not. Mom and Pop it is not.

Good destination for large groups - they have handled multiple sporting teams in our family easily, and the kids always enjoy it.

Have an Old Spaghetti Factory close by. I had a hard time hearing what others were saying in that restaurant when I was younger, I can’t imagine how bad it would be today.
Seems most chain restaurants started with good food, got numerous investment firms to saddle them with debt, quality goes South, then file for bankruptcy and sell off most of the locations.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Interesting article.
Another chain place comes to mind that is similar is Maggiano's...more expensive and with a more upscale atmosphere...but large, family style portions of Southern Italian cuisine. Owned by the outfit that also owns Chili's.
I wouldn't eat in either...but I grew up in NJ and live outside of Philly and a second home at the Jersey shore. Small Italian places everywhere in these parts.
Maggiano's is very good. Similar to Carmine's.

My go to corner Italian place is Kitchen Consigliere in Collingswood. The owner, Fat Ange, did a few years in the big house for Mafia related crimes. He's an interesting guy. Similar to Bobby Baccalieri on the Sopranos. Real good food there. They play Mafia movies on the TVs there and have 9mm sconces for lights.

I cannot imagine living in a city with a choice of good italian restraraunts. Here in STL Rich and Charlies is famous along with many others that are located on "the hill" neigborhood.

• Love
Good mom & pop Italian restaurants in Racine, WI. There’s not much where I live now in Central Texas.

Infusino’s, DeRango’s, Wells Bros., Nonna’s (related to/recipes from Wells Bros., but there was some kind of family disagreement). There’s also Tenuta’s in Kenosha.

In Austin, TX, there’s Via 313, which does a good Detroit style pizza.

Don’t know that much about it, but there is one in Palo Alto, California. The original Gordon Biersch location (last operating as Dan Gordon’s was across the street. Now that was a chain ruined by investors. But for a while it was possible get their original garlic fries until they closed.

There is a place named Mama D's in Calvert City Kentucky that has real Italian food. My investment guy says his Italian wife will only go there for her Italian food. It is very good and the prices are very reasonable too.

• Love
Good mom & pop Italian restaurants in Racine, WI. There’s not much where I live now in Central Texas.

Infusino’s, DeRango’s, Wells Bros., Nonna’s (related to/recipes from Wells Bros., but there was some kind of family disagreement). There’s also Tenuta’s in Kenosha.

In Austin, TX, there’s Via 313, which does a good Detroit style pizza.
Years ago when I was working in Chicago I was invited to a private Italian American club in Racine or Kenosha (can't recall).

On Saturday nights they had a wonderful Italian dinner. What a experience.

Many years ago I was invited to the PRCU in Wyndotte, MI. PRCU stands for polish roman Catholic union. Not much food, but a lot of drinking going on and a very happy crowd.

All great experiences. Never returned to either - but super grateful to have the chance to experience both.

I ate at Buca De Beppo only once, many years ago. I thought it was terrible, but living in Chicago I have many Mom and Pop Italian restaurants to choose from so it paled in comparison. I did not realize it was a chain when I ate there.

Our local one just closed. No one even noticed. They were running five or six ghost kitchens out of it just to survive until the lease was up. The concept of sharable dinners in a dark restaurant that looks the same as it did twenty years ago just isn't a hit any more. People like to be able to read the menu (without a phone light) and order what they want, how they want it.

There are any number of Italian-American themed chain restaurants. Someone mentioned Maggiano's Little Italy which is more a checkered tablecloth restaurant, albeit bigger. Been to a couple of locations. There was one in LA near the Original Farmers Market, and across the street from CBS Television City where several game shows and programs are recorded.

Around here there's this chain that used to be part of Brinker (along with On the Border, Chili's, and Maggiano's) but they divested themselves of it over a decade ago. There are still a few places advertising them on Brinker gift cards but I don't think that's correct. I rather like Romano's Macaroni Grill, although the name is kind of odd. But it's named after the founder, so at least they can claim to be Italian-American. But the locations I've been to try and exude a Tuscan villa vibe - kind of like Olive Garden.

db37330eac0679f065c214ba54f766503d974ea989a78077138eb2d91cb73ca9

Obviously there are a bunch of independent Italian and Italian-American eateries around here. The one area that's pretty good is the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco, although Chinatown is encroaching on it to some extent.

I worked in an office with a lot of Italian expats. I think once our company Christmas dinner was at an Italian restaurant in Oakland where the owner was Italian and came over to our table and chatted in Italian. Or another time when we had this big lunch at a Sicilian trattoria. There's no shortage around here of regional Italian restaurants, although not all are owned by ethnic Italians.

Someone mentioned investors and how they ruin things. There was a restaurant chain in California (maybe a bit beyond) called Pasta Pomodoro. It was founded by an Italian expat named Adriano Paganini. His goal was simple food similar to what he would have eaten. It had a modern vibe with simple looking menus without pictures other than maybe on the cover of the menu. I remember going there a few times with my Italian coworkers and they liked it because it wasn't expensive and it was really more like a modern Italian restaurant might be. Eventually the founder got tired (he also started other restaurant chains including the burger chain Super Duper) and sold it to a couple of Silicon Valley tech entrepreneurs who just changed up everything and closed it within a couple of years.

Back