Any tips on deep frying duros (chicharrones de harina)?

I've seen these before sold on carts or at Mexican restaurants or some convenience stores. I had no idea what they were until I tried some. Then I found they were actually quite cheap and supposedly easy to make at home. I found some bagged pinwheel duros for about $1 for a 6 oz bag, but then I found a place that sold them in a bulk bin for $1.19 a pound. Which is super cheap because a pound seems to sell for about $10 on Amazon.

91Dibj3oKiL._SL1500_.jpg

I tried to fry up some recently. First I wanted to use as little oil as possible but then I had to turn it over. Then I had success early with more oil, but later on I'm not sure why they didn't puff up as much and also looked rather dark, like they were burnt (I had problems with that earlier when I didn't pull them out in time, although they were fully puffed up). I was thinking the oil was getting too hot.

Not sure what to put on them, although I heard lime and some hot sauce is typical. I tried some Creole seasoning which worked pretty well.

Try some Tajin seasoning (chili peppers, sea salt and lime), a while back there was some guys talking about this seasoning so I gave it a try and since then I've been through a half dozen bottles. It's good on about anything I've put it on.

Your oil is too hot. It needs to be at 350 or less. These need to be made in a deep fryer or at least a 6qt pan. Use canola oil and place the finished ones on paper towels to drain. A wire fry ladle will be useful to and a thermometer for the oil is essential. I used to make these when I was in Mexico but quickly discovered that they where cheaper and easier to buy at the market. I used to have the instructions in spanish, let me find them and translate them. These are best with fresh lime juice and salsa Buffalo or Valentina.

Your oil is too hot. It needs to be at 350 or less. These need to be made in a deep fryer or at least a 6qt pan. Use canola oil and place the finished ones on paper towels to drain. A wire fry ladle will be useful to and a thermometer for the oil is essential. I used to make these when I was in Mexico but quickly discovered that they where cheaper and easier to buy at the market. I used to have the instructions in spanish, let me find them and translate them. These are best with fresh lime juice and salsa Buffalo or Valentina.

They are most definitely not cheaper here. A 4 oz bag (prepared where oil is part of the weight) is about $2. And I found the ones I prepared were better if consumed quickly, although I had to wait about 15 minutes for them to cool down and for them to absorb the surface oil as well as drain some residual oil.

They do remind me of Chinese shrimp chips, which are tapioca though. They're often served with Peking duck.

peking-duck-skin-with.jpg

Back