Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
quote:

Daylight-Saving Expansion Plan Is Ripped by Airlines, Churches
The Wall Street Journal 07/20/05
author: John J. Fialka
(Copyright (c) 2005, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)

Facing objections from the Bush administration, church groups and others opposed to extending daylight-saving time, House and Senate conferees on the energy bill postponed a decision on the proposal until tomorrow.

Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D., N.M.), the ranking Democrat on the Senate Energy Committee, said yesterday that he wants further talks with the House sponsors of the measure before any vote is taken. "The senator has concerns," said Bill Wicker, a spokesman for the senator, who said committee members have been fielding protests from several other groups, including airlines, utilities and farm groups opposed to the proposal, which would extend daylight-saving time one month in the spring and fall.

In a letter to the chairman of the House Energy Committee, Joe Barton, Energy Secretary Samuel W. Bodman said the Bush administration "strongly urges" the House and Senate conferees to drop the proposal. Mr. Bodman said that expanding daylight-saving time "would raise serious international harmonization problems for the transportation industry."

The Air Transport Association has asserted that its members, long-distance American airlines, could lose millions of dollars because of schedule disruptions that the proposal would cause by throwing U.S. arrivals at foreign airports out of synchronization with European schedules and Europe's system of awarding "slots," or landing rights at airports.

Some large church groups also oppose extending daylight-saving time into the early spring and late fall, because it would require children to wait for school buses in the dark. "Without the light of day, they are more susceptible to accidents with school buses, or other motorists, and the darkness also provides cover for individuals who prey on children," said the Rev. William F. Davis, deputy secretary of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, in a letter written to the House sponsors of the measure.

Dr. John Holmes, a spokesman for the Association of Christian Schools International, which, he said, represents nearly one million students in evangelical schools, said he agreed with the Catholic bishops' statement. "Please oppose this ill-advised change of the American clock," he wrote House members.

ben franklin's take on dst

personally, dst sucks. the best thing to do would be to eliminate it altogether. you want more daylight, either get up earlier or move to alaska for 6 months a year.

i grew up in indiana, which didn't have it at the time. now the governor of indiana is trying to implement dst, with the promise of more jobs and a better economy. right.....

****, it's light at 10:00 up here?!

We hated it in cable TV. Pay-per-view had to be turned off since the hour in Fall never existed throwing all hardware (set-tops) and software (billing) into confusion.

I say split it down the middle. Shift it half an hour and leave it year round the same. I am sick of twice a year running around resetting all the clocks and forgetting how to do it because each one has a different routine.

Where I work, we use Pacific Prevaling Time.

You use our time or you can kiss off.

Myself, I could care less what the clock says. I get up, go to work, go home, sleep, eat, drink, do stuff as my work schedule allows.

I don't mow the grass at 2am but everything else is open.

I wonder how reverse DST would work? Adding time in winter and subtracting in summer would equal out the seasonal variations.

Not only do I think DST is ridiculous (change your work/play hours as needed), I think we should do away with time zones. Does it really matter to you if the middle of the night is 4:00 or 11:00 or whatever? With no time zones there would be no confusion over what time it is in another part of the world. Or when traveling, you don't have to figure out when or by how much you need to adjust your watch.

Remember, the clock view of time is strictly a human invention. We can easily modify it to our needs.

China is bigger than the USA. No time zones, no DST. 'nuff said.

If it's about saving energy, safety, etc make the "best" choice and go with it for the whole country!

"If it's about saving energy, safety, etc make the "best" choice and go with it for the whole country! "
----------------------------------------------------------

I don't know P, I look forward to a 4 AM sunrise in the summer.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by tweeker43:
...personally, dst sucks. the best thing to do would be to eliminate it altogether. you want more daylight, either get up earlier or move to alaska for 6 months a year.

I second that.

I deal with time issues in programming all the time, it's a major pain the the rear. I wish we'd just use UTC. I mean really, does it have to be light out at 8am?

DST is lame; it's all about "fooling" people into getting up earlier so there's more natural light around for their evening chores.

If we had a workday of 7-3:30 it'd have the same effect. Shoot, my office is 8-4:30 which beats Dolly Parton's 9-5.

I get the suspicion it really is all about TV. On the east coast network prime doesn't start till 8 and the "good" shows at 10. The "family shows" go 8-9 so the grade school kids get to drag themselves to school the next day if they stay up to watch.

Most if not all the affiliates in the central time zone take the NY network feed "live" at the more practical 7pm CT.

Yes there are other things people do between getting home from work, dinner... but they usually finish with a tv show or two before bed.

Not sure on this but here in the Northeast 'THEY' claim DST. is for the safety of the kids getting on the schoolbus. {didn't have these in my day as I walked to school up-hill both ways}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back