Dang it Mazda!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my sights set on a 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT (soul red), with the tech package. But for 2018 Mazda is equipping the 2.5 litre with cylinder deactivation. To counteract the vibration created by running the 4 cyl on only 2 cylinders, a pendulum weight is activated. SIGH. I don't care about the claimed 1 mpg more when it is gained by running an SUV on 2 cylinders. I admit I have trust issues with new technologies (i.e. engine start/stop), but 2 cylinders? I've been scanning the Mazda dealers' web sites for inventory, the remaining 2017s are not the trim/color/options I want. The deals aren't that great anyway, for new vehicles already 1 model year old. Rant over...

I’ll wait for the last production year of the current model, that’s to say in 4 years while they work all bugs out

Did not know that but it seems to be the case. Let's see if Mazda can avoid the cylinder deactivation problems that have afflicted pretty much everyone that introduced the technology. Especially in the first year I agree you're wise to take a pass.

My son and DIL were looking at a 2018 CX-5 and passed because of limited interior room. Knowing this, I'm glad they did. Cripes, is Toyota the only manufacturer left that hasn't gone deeply into DI, turbocharging, CVTs, cylinder deactivation, et al?

My better half and I are thinking of joining the SUV/crossover swarm this time around. The CX-5 (and others like it) are so nice and easy to get in and out of (I'm in my mid 50's, things like that are starting to matter).

The cylinder deactivation system has been available in Europe and reports are that it is undetectable while driving. While I am not a fan of these systems myself it won’t be a new system with bugs.

"Cripes, is Toyota the only manufacturer left that hasn't gone deeply into DI, turbocharging, CVTs, cylinder deactivation, et al?"
But Toyota's styling lately just leaves me cold.

Harleys run on two cylinders, what's the problem?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
My better half and I are thinking of joining the SUV/crossover swarm this time around. The CX-5 (and others like it) are so nice and easy to get in and out of (I'm in my mid 50's, things like that are starting to matter).

I hear ya. I’m in my 60’s and comfort is a much more important issue than it ever was before. I found the CX-5 to be very comfortable and felt no pain after 5-6 hours of driving the other day.

Interestingly, this technology implementation has something to do with adding the weight in the latest model perhaps, gaining it around 200lb and reducing its oil efficiency down 2mpg in comparison to the previous model

Needless to say, in 2018 model there is no apple play available yet

"Harleys run on two cylinders, what's the problem?"
Maybe I could paint some flames on the sides, plus Mrs. and I could wear bandanas whenever driving the 2 cyl CX-5
grin.gif

"I hear ya. I’m in my 60’s and comfort is a much more important issue than it ever was before. I found the CX-5 to be very comfortable and felt no pain after 5-6 hours of driving the other day."
I found the CX-5 seating position very good, the new Honda Accord felt like I was sitting on the ground in comparison.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Harleys run on two cylinders, what's the problem?
laugh.gif

They do sound broken, though, even when they're not.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'm kind of surprised deactivating 2 cyl in a inline 4 affects the balance at all? Or makes it any worse atleast.

A four cylinder running on two cylinders will be hugely out of balance.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The cylinder deactivation system has been available in Europe and reports are that it is undetectable while driving. While I am not a fan of these systems myself it won’t be a new system with bugs.

Encouraging, but European driving conditions aren't exactly the same as in the US and Canada. I'd expect Mazdas here to spend a much bigger part of their lives in cylinder deactivation mode here than in Europe, which could make a difference. Not that this wouldn't be obvious to Mazda as well, but OEMs do miss the mark on occasion. Letting others be the Beta Testers seems a good strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back