Cuadra family Pro Stock Engine

The Cuadra family runs a buch of mustangs in Pro Stock. Are these Ford powered or GM powered. I understand you can either motor now. Sure hope it is a Ford.

Pro Stockers are NOTHING close to stock!! their engines are custom built + usually leased from a specialty builder. every season technology adds a few HP at a few THOUSAND dollars. you can prolly find detailed info with a search!!. all forms of pro racing uses amasing amounts of $$$$ for small improvements within the constraints of the RULES!!

If they're still powered the same as last season, then it's the legendary engine builder Frank Iaconio supplying their mills. Ford dropped their pro stock program quite a few years back. Dodge no longer provides support or engineering for the class. Chevrolet is the only game in town. As for the engine design and specs, it's heavily regulated by NHRA. As a fan, I'm fairly certain there's very little difference in the power plants, as the rules in place are firm and meant to ensure parity.

The Cuadra family runs a buch of mustangs in Pro Stock. Are these Ford powered or GM powered. I understand you can either motor now. Sure hope it is a Ford.
Site sponsor High Performance Lubricants Dave is very knowledgeable in Pro Stock as many of the top teams run their oils maybe he chime in about it.

I spent the weekend with Fernando and sons. This year Fernando has a triangular partnership with Frank Iaconio and Elite Motorsports. Frank is primarily supplying the engines and Elite is helping with the Chassis. Fernando and Christian had Franks engines. Fernando Jr had an Elite engine. Elite and Cuadra’s occupied an entire row in the pits at Phoenix. Fernando had clutch issues and did not qualify. Fernando Jr is fighting the car. They all have good power and they are all Chevy based. We may even see Fernando Jr in Richard Freeman’s personal red mustang for Gainesville unless they figure out JR’s car.

Fernando is a super guy with a super family. He owns Corral boot company and a tannery in Mexico. He now operates out of Elites shop in Oklahoma. He is a self made guy who now flies himself to the track in his king air.

On the topic Elite is off to a good start. Erica swept Pomona with Teammate Aaron Stanfield in the final. In Phoenix Aaron won with Teammate Troy Coughlin Jr in the final.

1646283359498.jpeg

1646283424452.jpeg

1646283491111.jpeg

1646283554381.jpeg

Congratulations Aaron

1646283647416.jpeg

1646283692473.jpeg

If they're still powered the same as last season, then it's the legendary engine builder Frank Iaconio supplying their mills. Ford dropped their pro stock program quite a few years back. Dodge no longer provides support or engineering for the class. Chevrolet is the only game in town. As for the engine design and specs, it's heavily regulated by NHRA. As a fan, I'm fairly certain there's very little difference in the power plants, as the rules in place are firm and meant to ensure parity.
In Phoenix there was only .060 spread from number 1-16th place car in the qualified field.
Incredibly small gap.

Frank Iaconio is now 76 and has been involved with Pro Stock since 1971. Truly a contribution to the sport.

David

Last edited:
I couldn't imagine the skill needed to drive the cars ! Drag racing is a brutal, can't make up the time on the next lap.

What is stock about the engine in Pro "Stock"?
You can say the same thing bout NASCAR engines. I used to have a rental next to a guy that build dragster and Bonneville type chassis . I would go there and visit. He had a NASCAR engine on a stand I looked at it and it looked like a small block with big block heads on it and it didn't look anything like a Ford, Chevy or Dodge engine we see in passenger cars..

A Chevy engine in a Ford pro stocker. I bet Bob Glidden and Grumpy Jenkins are both spinning 10,000 rpm in their graves over that.
All of the professional classes in drag racing have become so restricted and ultra-specialized that they have lost relevance to the fans.
Pro Stock doesn't even run the full schedule of races anymore. NHRA is having trouble getting 16-car fields for it.
I like seeing different mechanical combinations when I walk through the pits, then see how they run on the track.

DRCE engine was originally an Oldsmobile engine released in ‘83. Now in its 4th iteration

Back