Swapping a seat power switch unit

Is it easily possible to swap a complete seat power switch unit (the electronic part inside the trim), of one model car with another model, of the same make? Say for example swap a mustang's unit to a Taurus, wherein both are obviously made by Ford.

This can be useful for cars whose parts are being discontinued, or will be discontinued. Anyone done it? Thanks

This question, lacking an actual make & model, is so vague as to be stupid.

The answer is "it depends". It's definitely plausible.

Last edited:
This question, lacking an actual make & model, is so vague as to be stupid.

The answer is "it depends". It's definitely plausible.
The post mentions Taurus and Mustang, both Ford.

Are there any other clarifying questions your intelligence (as in, your intelligent majesty) may ask, to help us stupid people?

Edit: Pro tip- next time make sure you have your reading glasses on, or your attention intact.

Last edited:
Most likely not. Calling a parts department, all we can tell you is if they are the same part number. We don't have parts interchanges for figuring out what parts from one vehicle will work in another. Even going same model to same model we can't tell you if something will work. The general rule is you buy the part, pay for it, and it is not returnable under any circumstances.

Most likely not. Calling a parts department, all we can tell you is if they are the same part number. We don't have parts interchanges for figuring out what parts from one vehicle will work in another. Even going same model to same model we can't tell you if something will work. The general rule is you buy the part, pay for it, and it is not returnable under any circumstances.
That's why "we" won't call any parts dept. Usually they will say they don't know much of anything other than looking up a part number and ringing you up for it. Thanks for the reminder though.

Last edited:
Is it easily possible to swap a complete seat power switch unit (the electronic part inside the trim), of one model car with another model, of the same make? Say for example swap a mustang's unit to a Taurus, wherein both are obviously made by Ford.

This can be useful for cars whose parts are being discontinued, or will be discontinued. Anyone done it? Thanks
Theoretically yes, many manufacturers have a generic switch pack housed in a model/trim specific bezel or panel
But you have to engage in some in depth study of wiring harnesses and pattern recognition
Or trial and error in the salvage yard 🤷‍♂️
Take this seat switch in particular
1706138841267.png

It fits a wide variety of 2000s FoMoCo products
FORD EXPEDITION 2003-2006
FORD EXPLORER 2001-2005
FORD EXPLORER SPORT 2001-2003
FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 2001-2005
FORD F-150 2001-2008
FORD F-150 HERITAGE 2004
FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 2001-2007
FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 2002-2007
FORD F-450 SUPER DUTY 2001-2007
FORD F-550 SUPER DUTY 2005-2006
FORD TAURUS 2000-2005
FORD THUNDERBIRD 2002-2005
LINCOLN BLACKWOOD 2002
LINCOLN MARK LT 2006-2008
LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 2000-2002
MERCURY MOUNTAINEER 2002-2005

Now in reality, the T Bird, Blackwood, and Sport Trac are probably the rarest of that list, whereas the F series are probably still plentiful in the U Pull It yard 🤷‍♂️

Theoretically yes, many manufacturers have a generic switch pack housed in a model/trim specific bezel or panel
But you have to engage in some in depth study of wiring harnesses and pattern recognition
Or trial and error in the salvage yard 🤷‍♂️
Take this seat switch in particular
View attachment 200106

It fits a wide variety of 2000s FoMoCo products
FORD EXPEDITION 2003-2006
FORD EXPLORER 2001-2005
FORD EXPLORER SPORT 2001-2003
FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 2001-2005
FORD F-150 2001-2008
FORD F-150 HERITAGE 2004
FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY 2001-2007
FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY 2002-2007
FORD F-450 SUPER DUTY 2001-2007
FORD F-550 SUPER DUTY 2005-2006
FORD TAURUS 2000-2005
FORD THUNDERBIRD 2002-2005
LINCOLN BLACKWOOD 2002
LINCOLN MARK LT 2006-2008
LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 2000-2002
MERCURY MOUNTAINEER 2002-2005

Now in reality, the T Bird, Blackwood, and Sport Trac are probably the rarest of that list, whereas the F series are probably still plentiful in the U Pull It yard 🤷‍♂️
Finally a normal reply from a seemingly normal person! Thanks. Would you happen to have a similar list and picture for a 2003 Windstar driver side pwr switch?

Mucho appreciate.

Finally a normal reply from a seemingly normal person! Thanks. Would you happen to have a similar list and picture for a 2003 Windstar?

Mucho appreciate.
RockAuto is your friend in the art of cross referencing
However for an '03 Windstar I'm coming up blank

There's three part numbers, with or without Memory Package and with or without power lumbar/6 way

Put your VIN into FordPartsGiant, or perhaps see if our resident Motorcraft catalog guru can pinpoint what you need

I see some NOS and used on eBay, but you've seemed to find just the right case of no interchange

RockAuto is your friend in the art of cross referencing
However for an '03 Windstar I'm coming up blank

There's three part numbers, with or without Memory Package and with or without power lumbar/6 way

Put your VIN into FordPartsGiant, or perhaps see if our resident Motorcraft catalog guru can pinpoint what you need

I see some NOS and used on eBay, but you've seemed to find just the right case of no interchange
just FYI, the seat has lumbar support.

Do a good visual comparison and cross your fingers those rearcounter people have it
They've bailed me out a few times with my orphan Ford (Villager)
You found it sir! The second link has the visual cue.

Do you know if this website only sells new parts or also include used ones?

As far as i know, in my very limited awareness of these things, sometimes the manufacturers make so many changes with each succeeding trims that its almost impossible to find oem. I am glad you can still find parts for the Villager.

You found it sir! The second link has the visual cue.

Do you know if this website only sells new parts or also include used ones?

As far as i know, in my very limited awareness of these things, sometimes the manufacturers make so many changes with each succeeding trims that its almost impossible to find oem. I am glad you can still find parts for the Villager.
NOS means New Old Stock
Basically stuff floating around in the warehouse that's long past it's relevance
But throw it online, see if you can get a few $$ back for it
Dealers closing, parts department consolidation, etc
I can only assume @bdcardinal knows much more about RearCounter and NOS parts liquidation than myself

The application of that switch lists
Ford
Contour 1999-2000
Windstar 1999-2003

The Contour/Mystique is even more obscure at this point than a Windstar, but it's another vehicle to check at the Pick n Pull 🤷‍♂️

Good hunting...

Back