Craftsman tractor oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a newer Craftsman 26hp 52" lawn tractor that needs service. All the part numbers are Craftsman and I have not been able to convert to anything. I would like to get readily available oil filters and plugs from Walmart, autozone, etc.. Does anybody know what filter on plug that engine takes?

I used the old used filters on my Ranger for mower applications.
Always got a little more out of filters doing this

Always exact match to any craftsman Briggs I've found, and cost effective (16$ for a small B&S filter versus 5$ for any filter x3 the size.

05 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L engine filters always worked.

20195, fl-400s, 3600, 51516 and so on...

Always ran used 10w30/40 out of the truck too BTW, I'd change it seasonally in the truck, and the mower would get the dump out of the Truck.

Mowers going on 10 years running and the trucks at 250K
The mower has since been replaced as the ignition switch (now a screwdriver and two wires) and the deck has rotted.

Dad still uses it for hauling a dump trailer behind, simpler than the zero turn they replaced it with.
Still runs the same oil and filter that I ever did.

Fwiw, I've seen rider style and push style B&S engines in the army get worn to [censored] and back. With everything from Turboshaft Aircraft Turbine oil, to dumped 15w40 transmission and engine oils, to regular weapon CLP in the oil sump.

I use a NAPA/Wix 1348 filter and Champion RC12YC plugs from NAPA on my older Kohler powered Craftsman. The plugs and filter numbers in my owner's manual cross to those numbers on Wix and Champion's sites, but double check yours. A good auto parts place should be able to cross reference the numbers too.

GumbyJarvis said:
I used the old used filters on my Ranger for mower applications.
Always got a little more out of filters doing this

I thought I was cheap.

I look at it like this. A moderately priced car is multiples of the cost of a mower. Why should the oil filter for the much more expensive car engine cost 1/4 of the filter for a lawn mower? Use any car filter that will fit on your mower and don't give it another thought.

If you refer to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1230692/2 it seems that the bypass setting should be 8-11 psi. That's a perfect match for the Wix 51348, but the Fram PH3614 comes in at 12 PSI and the synthetic filters come in even higher.

Not knowing what the range of oil pressures are in these engines, I feel safer staying with the lower bypass setting. Hopefully someone with a better working knowledge of these engines will chime in here. In my case it's a Briggs and Stratton 724cc V-Twin.

Spend $1,600 or more on a nice lawn tractor and then spend hours trying to save $2.00 by not using an OEM filter. Same person will get into a nasty verbal argument when something happens to the engine and manufacture suspects that the WORNG oil filter may be the cause. Where is the common sense here? Ed

The issue is paying $12 for a garden variety filter just because the manufacturers name is on it...I do agree if the unit is fairly new or in warranty then put an oe filter on it..after that use what you want....OPE engines are not hard on oil filters and dont require a high end $$$ filter...just my opinion..

I use a B&S filter from Home Depot on my 20HP B&S engine. I cross referenced it on the Fram site and found that Fram at Walmarts for $1.69 less. So for $1.69 cents savings, I would use a orange can Fram? I don't think so. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Spend $1,600 or more on a nice lawn tractor and then spend hours trying to save $2.00 by not using an OEM filter. Same person will get into a nasty verbal argument when something happens to the engine and manufacture suspects that the WORNG oil filter may be the cause. Where is the common sense here? Ed

Going aftermarket to save a few bucks doesn't compare to using an old filter from your truck as earlier suggested, to save a few dollars. I've got a bald spot now scratching my head over that one.

Last edited:
I've been using automotive filters on OPE engines for over 2 decades now ... and will continue to do so. I haven't lost an engine in my entire life. With automotive filters you get a filter of equal-or-better quality, larger size with greater oil capacity which increases your sump's total capacity and will allow your oil to run a bit cooler.

I just looked up a B&S brand filter on Northerntool.com and found it for $12.99 + S&H. If you search, you might find this thing for $10 all-in ... maybe. An automotive equivalent will typically go for $2-$5.

Thanks, but I'll stick with using quality, high-capacity, lower-cost filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back