The ultimate detail & maintenance with part numbers on Kohler V-Twin Nikki Carb Craftsman GT5000 6 H/L

I finally had a day off and wanted to give the Craftsman GT some attention and kinda "document" the part numbers in post 2 that will work with this 25 HP Kohler V-Twin CV730s, 1 barrel Nikki carburetor with accelerator pump / electronic fuel shut off solenoid, installed on a 917 series Craftsman GT5000 with a high low 6 speed manual.

I started with a full carburetor rebuild and used OEM Kohler parts. I had major sticker shock at $197 total for the two rebuild kits I needed. One had the float, bowl gasket, needle and misc other gaskets, the other kit was the accelerator pump gasket, spring, fuel delivery hoses, and a couple of the same gaskets at kit one. to note you can get them a little cheaper online.

After cleaning the carburetor thoroughly and reassembly, replaced the fuel filter, oil filter, air filter/pre cleaner, spark plugs and oil. I used VP Synthetic 10W30/SEA30. I did have a $19,99 Kohler Pro oil filter in my cart... Until I walked down the automotive aisle at Tractor supply. A quick google search later I had a much better made Purolator in an awesome red, for $5.99.

Last year I replaced both ignition coils and both head gaskets (Kohler OEM) can post part numbers if interested, with other misc other gaskets while I had it torn apart. Also did a manual transmission drain and fill... Twice. Replaced all belts, but did not replace the front tires that worn out because of a really bad alignment (now fixed) so while a TS they had the correct size Carlisle 16x6.50-8 turf pro tires. The tires were pretty reasonable priced imho at $59.99 each plus tax.

After all the maintenance, i followed up with a foam cannon hand wash, degreasing and a Chemical Guys Ceramic Hydro wax treatment. I learned my lesson with the tire wax and cutting the lawn so I skipped that this time.

The "icing on the cake" was to give all linkages throttle cables ect the dry lubrication treatment..

IMG_2834.jpeg
IMG_2835.jpeg
IMG_2832.jpeg
IMG_2836.jpeg

IMG_2823.jpeg
IMG_2819.jpeg
IMG_2837.jpeg
IMG_2818.jpeg

IMG_2822.jpeg

IMG_2830.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are the part numbers for some things, If any one needs anything specific please post and I will post the part numbers for you.

IMG_0691.jpeg
IMG_2845.jpeg
IMG_2831.jpeg

IMG_0616.jpeg
IMG_0615.jpeg
IMG_2833.jpeg

IMG_2839.jpeg

IMG_2844.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 9.11.03 AM.png
IMG_2843.jpeg

How many hours on it before the rebuild?
I posted another thread on the backstory of this GT when I picked it up a couple years ago but it was non-running for about 15 years because mice chewed the wires. When I picked it up the hour meter read about 25, and the owners confirmed they only used it “for a season or two“ and changed the oil once.

It was stored in an outside barn for those 15 years with gas in the tank, it looked like this the day I picked it up.
IMG_2846.jpeg

IMG_2847.jpeg

I would say the head gaskets blew as soon as I started using it regularly maybe around the 50 hour mark. Another gasket behind a plate on the front of the engine also gave out a couple hours later. I replaced the governor oil shaft seal also.

Back