Counterfeit Tool Batteries

Look at the yellow bar on the front of the package that contains the word "Dewalt". On the real package, it goes all the way to the right. On the counterfeit, it stops short of going to the edge.

I hope he let the seller know. I wonder if they were purchased on Amazon? Second back in the day Microsoft was actually running counterfeit versions of Windows xp. The counterfeiters in China were able to get Microsoft's website and laptops to authorize the software. The only way Microsoft figured it out was it had software bugs that were identical.

Compare the "XR" and the label (in general) on each battery.

Untitled_178.jpg

I hope he let the seller know. I wonder if they were purchased on Amazon? Second back in the day Microsoft was actually running counterfeit versions of Windows xp. The counterfeiters in China were able to get Microsoft's website and laptops to authorize the software. The only way Microsoft figured it out was it had software bugs that were identical.
Each of the purchase screens he showed were on eBay.

So, want counterfeit parts?

Buy on eBay!

IMO that is painting with too broad a brush, sure there may be seller on Amazon selling fakes but if it comes from Amazon there is a good chance it is genuine, if not they will take care of it with no trouble.
I should clarify.

*If you bought it on amazon, it's fake

I bought a package of Makita batteries on ebay last year. They appeared to be the genuine article... but I got suspicious, did some research and found a couple of very subtle "tells". They were very, very good fakes and were not that cheap. The seller took them back (I had to pay the shipping). I learned my lesson. Don't buy anything like that on ebay. The sad thing is, most people would never know they were buying counterfeit batteries. I'm sure they just sold them to some other patsy.

IMO that is painting with too broad a brush, sure there may be seller on Amazon selling fakes but if it comes from Amazon there is a good chance it is genuine, if not they will take care of it with no trouble.
There was a guy that worked at one of the amazon warehouses that said that 75 percent of the name brand auto parts they were shipping were counterfeit. Amazon knew about the issue too. Might have been this forum he posted on but I can't remember now. But if 75 percent of the auto parts were counterfeit who is to say it doesn't apply to other things as well?

I recently bought a two pack of Dewalt 5A Powerstack batteries from HD for $222, they have singles for $199 ea, the 2 pack is a steal. No way I would buy from ebay.
Batteries are a tremendous cash cow for power tool manufacturers. Just as ink cartridges are a cash cow for printer manufacturers.

The 2 powerstacks mentioned in the guys article at lowes are for the small 1.7A not the better 5A. The 1.7A in general are not a great deal but they are good batteries.

In the past, I've bought several generic power tool batteries from Amazon with good results. More recently, the exact opposite. 12V Makita batteries and 18V Dewalt. For the Makita, I bought three different batteries before finding a decent one. For Dewalt, after the second fail, I quit. All these cheap junk batteries were much lighter than the older batteries they replaced. Mind you, the old batteries were just generic cheapies themselves.

Back