Milwaukee tools worth the hype?

Makita makes great drills. That said, again, the 12v Milwaukee right angle drill is simply the best size for that tool.
image.jpg

milwaukee everything for me. from m18 to m12 my collection is massive. two favorite tools are the M12 impact driver and the M18 cordless inflator. i have only had one issue and it was warrantied and returned in one week.

Reactions: D60
I have a big Makita 18v reciprocating saw at home for carpentry. Here at the shop, this one is great, compact and powerful. The grinder works great. I don’t need it to run for more than several minutes, and it has lots of power. The multi tool is also the best of that type. So, for angle grinder, multi-tool, and reciprocating saw. Makita.

image.jpg

Like mentioned above, you have to hit the deals on them, they are expensive everyday price.
This x1000

If you pay full retail you'll go broke. You have to learn to watch sales, promos and coupons. Kit take-outs on ebay are also a great way to build tools ala carte and batteries.

For sure one disadvantage of Milwaukee is that you have to learn to play some games like this. Hercules is affordable at HF pretty much every day of the week.

If OP is looking at mechanics stuff Milwaukee is great, although some of it will be M12 like ratchets and underhood lights while the best impacts are M18. But since the chargers do both I kinda consider them all the same even though they're clearly two distinct platforms.

I have an M12 Drill that I've used at least 5 days a week for work over the last 10 years that is still going strong. It's beat up but I have no reason to replace it
I replaced the Batteries with some knockoffs a few years back and they have been good too..

I have an M18 Drill that I used to prime a rebuilt Engine with a bad Lifter that didn't have it's oil hole so it never primed. I figured it out after I smoked 2 corded Drills with 1/2" Chucks from Harbor Freight.. The M18 Drill never failed..

It seems the Batteries are the expensive part though..

From what I’ve seen In an automotive environment, if you work on stuff with a lot of rust/ corrosion so the tools work harder, then Milwaukee doesn’t last like DeWalt does. I’ve got friends in other trades that have found the same issues, casings fall apart at joints and bearings get noisy.
I have a couple of Makita impacts and drills that are really good and I just got some Dewalt stuff the DCF921 mini impact, DCF850 driver and the DCD805 drill and 5 power stack batteries 3 5A and 2 1.7A. The DCF921 has no equal at this time, this little pip squeak has some big power for its size, the drill and driver are small but have big power, I really like these.

I have air ratchets but would like a long 3/8 cordless but no way in Hades would I pay $249 for a bare tool from Milwaukee, good lord it cost as much as a high torque impact and by all accounts it is not that good. The ones from Dewalt, Makita and others suck even more.
For high torque impacts I use air but if air is not an option Dewalt is the top dog, the DCF 961 will beat any cordless impact tested up till now, the Milwaukee high torque is not even close.

My Milwaukee angle grinder died one day. It has a 5 year warranty. Opened a ticket on the Milwaukee website, and they provided a free Fedex label to send the tool back. About 10 days later, my repaired tool was delivered back to my house.

Contrast that with a Dewalt string trimmer that stopped working under warranty. I had to drive 30 minutes each way to drop it at an authorized repair center. And I live in LA, with millions of people everywhere. It took about 30 days to fix, because of part availability. And now, two years later, and the machine out of warranty, it died again. As I type, it's sitting in the garbage can waiting for trash day (tomorrow)

I have an M12 Drill that I've used at least 5 days a week for work over the last 10 years that is still going strong. It's beat up but I have no reason to replace it
I replaced the Batteries with some knockoffs a few years back and they have been good too..

I have an M18 Drill that I used to prime a rebuilt Engine with a bad Lifter that didn't have it's oil hole so it never primed. I figured it out after I smoked 2 corded Drills with 1/2" Chucks from Harbor Freight.. The M18 Drill never failed..

It seems the Batteries are the expensive part though..
I have an OLD 2407 M12 drill that has deburred literally tens of thousands of holes, albeit in aluminum. One day just inside warranty it died. I sent it in and was surprised they just replaced the trigger and sent it back. Usually the labor isn't worth it and they'll send a new tool. I'm not complaining, just thought it curious.

Anyway with just a new trigger it's still cruising along several years later. It's been pressed down so many times the handle rubber has worn bare:
20240529_184331.jpg

My Milwaukee angle grinder died one day. It has a 5 year warranty. Opened a ticket on the Milwaukee website, and they provided a free Fedex label to send the tool back. About 10 days later, my repaired tool was delivered back to my house.

Contrast that with a Dewalt string trimmer that stopped working under warranty. I had to drive 30 minutes each way to drop it at an authorized repair center. And I live in LA, with millions of people everywhere. It took about 30 days to fix, because of part availability. And now, two years later, and the machine out of warranty, it died again. As I type, it's sitting in the garbage can waiting for trash day (tomorrow)

Look for warranty issues on any make and you will finds plenty, personally Milwaukee accused me of trying to steal a battery from them when I sent it in for warranty well within the warranty period. It was my only tool from them and one of the two batteries the tool came with, bought at HD and had original receipt. When the other battery would not charge the whole thing went in the bin and I have not bought another tool from them since.

Look for warranty issues on any make and you will finds plenty, personally Milwaukee accused me of trying to steal a battery from them when I sent it in for warranty well within the warranty period. It was my only tool from them and one of the two batteries the tool came with, bought at HD and had original receipt. When the other battery would not charge the whole thing went in the bin and I have not bought another tool from them since.

Yeah....that would turn me off to the company for ever for sure!!

I have gone beyond my Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools to M18 OPE. String trimmer, hand held leaf blower, hedge trimmer, inflator and a few LED lights.

I buy mostly bare tools. Batteries on same at HD usually in a two pack.

I bought my first Milwaukee tools back in 2017? M12 kit which included the rachet and the big boy m18 high torque. My favorite two tools, and since then have grown my Milwaukee tools

The benefit of Milwaukee at the moment is huge line of tools.

The Hercules stuff is great for a pro though. I have dewalt Milwaukee and Hercules I like them all. Hercules is easier to warranty if you have a HF with in reasonable distance to home or shop

Milwaukee has great deals throughout the year like buy tool get battery or vise Versa

But overall Hercules is still much less expensive but lack of tools can be an issue if you like to go deep into stuff

This site is heavily Milwaukee biased.

And I will say the M18 tools are strong. I have the M12 for size and for size they are handy and strong. Drills and drivers.

That said the DeWalt 20V saws of all varieties are better. Drivers and drills great for home owner. DeWalt 20V impact drivers were terrible for years, seems like maybe they got the message.

OPE? The 20V stuff is OK, but get an 80V system for those. You need power now. Well I do have the little DeWalt 20VMax extension chainsaw pruner and it's nifty as heck.

I have gone beyond my Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools to M18 OPE. String trimmer, hand held leaf blower, hedge trimmer, inflator and a few LED lights.

I buy mostly bare tools. Batteries on same at HD usually in a two pack.
I'm all in on Makita 18V for OPE and home tools. Home including yard tools (OPE) and my wood shop.

I've got about 28-29 batteries. Some are more than a decade old. I have them all labeled and have yet to take one out of service. Best batteries on the market. Also, Makita makes thoughtful/useful OPE in their 18V system.

At home, for Makita cordless 18V, I've got:
  • Lawnmower
  • Leaf blower
  • String trimmer
  • Hedge trimmer
  • Recip saw (with 12" pruning blade)
  • Leaf vacuum
  • 1/2" impact
  • 1/2" hammer drill
  • Multi-tool
  • Jig Saw
  • Angle grinder
  • Driver
  • Flashlight
Of course, I have other, corded Makita tools, some of which are over 40 years old.

As I mentioned, at the shop (where I work on cars) there are a variety of Makita 18V cordless tools, see photos, including:
  • Leaf Blower (beats sweeping up)
  • 1/2" hammer drill
  • Driver
  • Angle grinder
  • 1/2" impact
  • Multi-tool
  • Small recip saw
At this point, I buy bare tools, though, if the deal is good, I will get a battery/charger kit. I have two double chargers and four single chargers for the Makita 18V.

I still have my first Makita drill. A 12V bought about 30 years ago. Still works great. You cannot beat Makita quality and durability.

For OPE, they make the best range of tools. In fact, they've even launched a line of camping/outdoors equipment, including lights, fans, coolers, and coffee makers/hot pots, all running on the 18V system.

Last edited:
IMO if this site is heavily Milwaukee biased there might be a reason. Maybe they make decent stuff that helps us with our work.

I invite everyone to think back 20 to 25 years. Dewalt was king, esp with their XRP stuff. Milwaukee was like a red-headed step child and not accepted as mainstream. Milwaukee took a risk with li-ion and V18 (total junk) and V28 (later compatible with the improved M28).

If Milwaukee is now popular it's not because they're some evil entity (but they can ALSO be this, if you like) but rather because they decided to try to work hard to take more of the market. Now that they've succeeded, well it's always easy to hate the leader(s).

From what I've seen clinebarger's benches overfloweth with Milwaukee, and FTM (Ford Tech Makuloco) seemed to be an early adopter of their mechanics stuff like underhood light and impacts. These guys are pros who don't care about status -- they just need to get the job done.

That said, it is absolutely true that other brands will also complete the jobs just as well. And competition is good for the consumer.

IMO if this site is heavily Milwaukee biased there might be a reason. Maybe they make decent stuff that helps us with our work.

I invite everyone to think back 20 to 25 years. Dewalt was king, esp with their XRP stuff. Milwaukee was like a red-headed step child and not accepted as mainstream. Milwaukee took a risk with li-ion and V18 (total junk) and V28 (later compatible with the improved M28).

If Milwaukee is now popular it's not because they're some evil entity (but they can ALSO be this, if you like) but rather because they decided to try to work hard to take more of the market. Now that they've succeeded, well it's always easy to hate the leader(s).

From what I've seen clinebarger's benches overfloweth with Milwaukee, and FTM (Ford Tech Makuloco) seemed to be an early adopter of their mechanics stuff like underhood light and impacts. These guys are pros who don't care about status -- they just need to get the job done.

That said, it is absolutely true that other brands will also complete the jobs just as well. And competition is good for the consumer.
If you’re going back 20-25 years - Makita was king of the cordless tools.

In 2003, I built a deck with Ipe’ decking, and only the Makita 14.4v (at the time, state of the art, Ni-Cad batteries) had the grunt to drive screws in that tough hardwood.

Nobody back then had a cordless impact gun.

There were some corded ones, but they were heavy and weak.

Pneumatic was the only way to go. I have a couple pneumatic tools from that era, including a pneumatic 3/8” ratchet.

It was about 2005 that Makita rolled out the 18v Li-ion. The first on the market. And the rest of the tool world took notice and had to catch up. Milwaukee makes good tools - I own several - but they were playing catch up back then.

A lot of consumers recognize the name without realizing they are just another Chinese tool company that bought a good name. I have to wonder would these same buyers purchase these in the amounts they do if they were branded TTI? I have some real corded Milwaukee tools, made in USA very good quality but these are not even related to the new ones that many are now made in Vietnam.

If you’re going back 20-25 years - Makita was king of the cordless tools.

In 2003, I built a deck with Ipe’ decking, and only the Makita 14.4v (at the time, state of the art, Ni-Cad batteries) had the grunt to drive screws in that tough hardwood.

Nobody back then had a cordless impact gun.

There were some corded ones, but they were heavy and weak.

Pneumatic was the only way to go. I have a couple pneumatic tools from that era, including a pneumatic 3/8” ratchet.

It was about 2005 that Makita rolled out the 18v Li-ion. The first on the market. And the rest of the tool world took notice and had to catch up. Milwaukee makes good tools - I own several - but they were playing catch up back then.
Milwaukee introduced V28 in 2005 as well. This is supported by their own site and my personal experience: I moved into my current house in '05. It was a big deal for me and I remember purchasing the V28 drill for my first projects here.

The fade-free performance and the concept of a fuel gauge on the battery were revolutionary. Before that you were left guessing at the state of charge. The V28 drill also came with a really cool belt clip I thought was fantastic, but I imagine it was expensive to produce and didn't play nice with carpenter tool belts

At the time I thought that drill was amazing. In hindsight, it was huge and awkward -- and not because of the giant V28 battery but rather just the length of the body both fore and aft of the handle.

Oh and one site claims Bosch was first w li-ion in 2003 with something called IXO. I'm not familiar with the product line and not sure if IXO was sold domestically

Back