Milwaukee tools worth the hype?

If Milwaukee didn't buy a battery plant and fix their junk Li ion batteries they would be nothing. They got the batteries right (as good or better than Makita) and hit the trade focused market hard. That is where they succeeded.

Makita has made fine quality tools but got behind and can't catch back up. Price is also holding them back which is odd because they used to be cheaper than DeWalt while being far better quality.

I should have stayed Makita when I bought new cordless stuff to replace my 14.4V Makita stuff in 2012. Milwaukee had an awesome battery and was making good tools at the time and the price was better than Makita.

I think the key difference between Makita and Milwaukee, is that Makita’s design in 2005 was solid.

It remains as their standard 18V battery.

That’s why I’ve got almost 30 of the things. And that first battery from 15+ years ago, is still working, every day, down in my shop.

I’m not against Milwaukee. If you total up the tools, and I have a couple at home too, I’ve got about 10 Milwaukee cordless tools.

Credit where credit is due. Many of the Milwaukee designs are better suited for a mechanic than their Makita counterparts.

Especially the 3/8 and 1/4 inch electric ratchet.

But for woodworking, carpentry, or outdoor power equipment, Makita has the wider variety, and better design.

So, for the original poster, to circle back to his question, I would probably stick with Milwaukee just because of how good those electric ratchets are.

But for most people, especially if they are trying to make the transition to rechargeable outdoor power equipment, then I would go Makita.

Makita has a surprisingly deep product line if you ever take the time to look (I rarely do). Their marketing/ PR just seems behind, so you don't know of stuff unless you go actively seeking it. Milwaukee has done a good job with their annual New Product Symposium

And yeah, deals and promos on Makita just seem a lot less, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places

Makita was far more willing to embrace a dual battery setup, which I thought made a lot of sense. Milwaukee was very resistant and wanted to just push for a huge, single battery.

Milwaukee FINALLY acquiesced on things like their lawnmower and AC power inverter (think battery genny) because they had little choice. And now they offer a dual-batt blower that I'd like to have. I'd like to see a dual-batt chainsaw which was something Makita was not afraid to offer long ago

I just use mine for home improvement and home mechanic work, but the original drill/impact driver M18 kit I bought in 2009 or 10 is still going strong, original 1.5 aH batteries included (batteries showing their age, but still have decent runtime). I've added a few tools along the way. The M18 inflator is just amazing. Got it for $199 w/ 2 5aH batteries during Black Friday. I even use it in the house to dust electronics and stuff. Great for blowing out charging ports.

My OG drill kit is the original brushes version, from before the brushless stuff even came out.

Reactions: D60
Here’s to you Milwaukee men
IMG_8135.jpeg

I have both Milwaukee and Hercules in my power tool drawers.

I use them both depending on the situation. I needed a long reach 3/8 ratchet and it came down to the Milwaukee at $250 or the Hercules at a tad over $100. At that money I got a power 1/4 ratchet as well as the batteries. They worked so well on the Mini rebuild project that I got the Hercules mid-torque and then the Ultra Torque impacts. The Ultra Torque has little trouble removing lug nuts in my use so far, and it curtailed my purchase of the heavy duty version in the Milwaukee line.

Hercules doesn’t have a full line of tools anywhere near as extensive as Milwaukee (like my small grinder that I’ve used many, many times), so I’ll continue to keep both lines. But for what I do right now, I’m probably set for a while.

But I’ll probably look at both if it comes time for me to add something to the tool drawer. 😎

I have both Milwaukee and Hercules in my power tool drawers.

I use them both depending on the situation. I needed a long reach 3/8 ratchet and it came down to the Milwaukee at $250 or the Hercules at a tad over $100. At that money I got a power 1/4 ratchet as well as the batteries. They worked so well on the Mini rebuild project that I got the Hercules mid-torque and then the Ultra Torque impacts. The Ultra Torque has little trouble removing lug nuts in my use so far, and it curtailed my purchase of the heavy duty version in the Milwaukee line.

Hercules doesn’t have a full line of tools anywhere near as extensive as Milwaukee (like my small grinder that I’ve used many, many times), so I’ll continue to keep both lines. But for what I do right now, I’m probably set for a while.

But I’ll probably look at both if it comes time for me to add something to the tool drawer. 😎
At $250 I think people are getting bent over a red barrel with that thing. At $119 bare tool or $149 with battery and charger it may not be a bad deal but as long as people keep paying the over the top prices they will not drop the price.

Torque Test Channel may or may not be biased, but what they do is create category "weightings" that I could often care less about, while missing others completely.

I find his review much like tools themselves - another tool of many in a big online drawer of reviews and tests.

At $250 I think people are getting bent over a red barrel with that thing. At $119 bare tool or $149 with battery and charger it may not be a bad deal but as long as people keep paying the over the top prices they will not drop the price.
Honestly with the performance of the Hercules power ratchets I got, I notice no significant difference.

I find that I reach for that blue and black power ratchet more and more. My Milwaukee 3/8 is a standard length so I have no overlap between these brands, but I’d probably get a Hercules replacement should the Milwaukee ever bite the dust.

I have a set of Hercules battery operated tools that have done a good job. I am considering taking them home and using them for diy stuff and replacing my work stuff with Milwaukee. I bought the extended open ended electric ratchet with the pass through sockets from Milwaukee and really like it so figured I'd get the 1/2in impact and the impact driver at least. What do you guys think of them? Are they worth the money over another Hercules set or any other set in general?
Milwaukee is the most popular professional tools used on jobsites today. They are reliable, powerful, and readily available in nearly everly plumbing/electrical/HVAC supply house. Having used this brand almost exclusively for 20 years, trust that they are overall better tools than the Hercules brand.

With that being said, they are more expensive, and for some who do not use the tool day in and day out, they might not be a great buy, especially in the cordless category.

Their warranty is second to none.

Like nearly everything else in this world, it is not made to the same standards as they used to be, made in Switzerland, USA, Lichtenstein, and Germany. Milwaukee has not been their own company for a long time now, which is to say, they are a subsidiary of a larger entity. Same roof as Ryobi, and Homelite.

Another brand to look at is Makita. If I was going to get rid of all my tools, and start over, I would go with Makita. To my knowledge, they are the only power tool manufacture who still make their own stuff. You will note, the Hercules brand looks like Makita. Their batteries are the longest lasting, and been the same for over 15 years, while others such as Milwaukee, and Dewalt have changed their battery types twice in the same amount of time.

I have a set of Hercules battery operated tools that have done a good job. I am considering taking them home and using them for diy stuff and replacing my work stuff with Milwaukee. I bought the extended open ended electric ratchet with the pass through sockets from Milwaukee and really like it so figured I'd get the 1/2in impact and the impact driver at least. What do you guys think of them? Are they worth the money over another Hercules set or any other set in general?
if you're starting from ground zero it doesn't matter what brand you go with since you'll be buying fresh into the brands eco-system "battery & tool". if the Hercules has been working for you stick with it since you're already vested with batteries. once I buy power tools I become loyal to the brand batteries are too expensive.

Not really. How is that second to non?

Metabo HPT has a lifetime and 5 year depending on the tool.

Hercules 5 year on the brushless tools.
The Hilti repair program is what you are likely referring to with the 20 year thing. I enrolled in the program when I had several employees, and it was a joke. Hilti caters to big construction projects, and if you dont so 10k and peoduct and tools a month, you mean nothing ro them.

Hilti makes great stuff, bit good luck getting a battery on the way to a jobsite when one goes down. Availability and ease of purchase is a big rhumbs sown for Hilti.

Milwaukee is 5 years on tools, and 3 on batteries. And they act fast with warranty. Any supply house that sells Milwaukee accepts warranty returns over the counter.

In Charlotte NC, (one of the busiest construction cities for rhat last 15 years, there is one Hilti store.

Walk on a jobsite one day, and count the amount of Milwaukee tools on the site as compared to others.

I had a problem with a Hil
The Hilti repair program is what you are likely referring to with the 20 year thing. I enrolled in the program when I had several employees, and it was a joke. Hilti caters to big construction projects, and if you dont so 10k and peoduct and tools a month, you mean nothing ro them.

Hilti makes great stuff, bit good luck getting a battery on the way to a jobsite when one goes down. Availability and ease of purchase is a big rhumbs sown for Hilti.

Milwaukee is 5 years on tools, and 3 on batteries. And they act fast with warranty. Any supply house that sells Milwaukee accepts warranty returns over the counter.

In Charlotte NC, (one of the busiest construction cities for rhat last 15 years, there is one Hilti store.

Walk on a jobsite one day, and count the amount of Milwaukee tools on the site as compared to others.
Sorry, my own experience is very much different. I have a few Hilti tools and had a problem with a battery or the charger I don't remember, I just emailed the rep who btw emailed me the day after I bought the tools to introduce himself and to let me know if any problems just email him, he dropped one off the next day and took the old one, no fuss or drama. Waiting to try the Neuron system and replace the old ones. Phenomenal tools and customer service!
@Trav - I do not own any Hercules cordless tools; I assumed they were made in China. Do you know if that is true?
Thanks in advance.

JK, the ones I have seen are Made in Taiwan and decent quality, some may well be made in China but so are most of the others, Milwaukee is producing many tools now in Vietnam. Hercules brushless have a 5 year over the counter warranty is better than sending it in for repair, it breaks they replace it, 3 years on the battery so they are ready to play with established brands.
This guy hates HF and did everything he could except use explosives on the poor thing to destroy it.

I'm all in on Makita 18V for OPE and home tools. Home including yard tools (OPE) and my wood shop.

I've got about 28-29 batteries. Some are more than a decade old. I have them all labeled and have yet to take one out of service. Best batteries on the market. Also, Makita makes thoughtful/useful OPE in their 18V system.

At home, for Makita cordless 18V, I've got:
  • Lawnmower
  • Leaf blower
  • String trimmer
  • Hedge trimmer
  • Recip saw (with 12" pruning blade)
  • Leaf vacuum
  • 1/2" impact
  • 1/2" hammer drill
  • Multi-tool
  • Jig Saw
  • Angle grinder
  • Driver
  • Flashlight
Of course, I have other, corded Makita tools, some of which are over 40 years old.

As I mentioned, at the shop (where I work on cars) there are a variety of Makita 18V cordless tools, see photos, including:
  • Leaf Blower (beats sweeping up)
  • 1/2" hammer drill
  • Driver
  • Angle grinder
  • 1/2" impact
  • Multi-tool
  • Small recip saw
At this point, I buy bare tools, though, if the deal is good, I will get a battery/charger kit. I have two double chargers and four single chargers for the Makita 18V.

I still have my first Makita drill. A 12V bought about 30 years ago. Still works great. You cannot beat Makita quality and durability.

For OPE, they make the best range of tools. In fact, they've even launched a line of camping/outdoors equipment, including lights, fans, coolers, and coffee makers/hot pots, all running on the 18V system.
Same here, I used to use dewalt until I got my hands on some other brands we ordered at work. I first noticed Milwaukee was better then decided to try others and settled on makita. I’ve never had anything makita fail on me. I also buy bare tools and have found some really great deals. Also have had a couple of sweet kit deals.

They dropped the price of the 12v to $90 so it is tempting, it does have a lot going for it like the small head and no paddle switch.

That’s the one I have. It’s no slouch (I just used it on the Subaru brake job I completed) and it feels good in hand.

If I had any complaint, and it’s a small one, it’s that the battery can be stiff to snap into the tool. I got the 4 amp batteries but I also have a “free” 2 amp when I got it.

The battery shape doesn’t make it slim like the small M12 batteries on Milwaukee tools, but that’s not an issue for me at least. 🙂

That’s the one I have. It’s no slouch (I just used it on the Subaru brake job I completed) and it feels good in hand.

If I had any complaint, and it’s a small one, it’s that the battery can be stiff to snap into the tool. I got the 4 amp batteries but I also have a “free” 2 amp when I got it.

The battery shape doesn’t make it slim like the small M12 batteries on Milwaukee tools, but that’s not an issue for me at least. 🙂
I literally use my Hercules extended ratchets everyday. They are my go to for most things. I do like the Milwaukee high speed for like valve body bolts.

Back