Air vs Battery Automotive Tools??

If I could have both that would great! But for now my budget is leaning to one or the other. Milwaukee's latest 1/2" high torque impact has 1,600lbs of nut-busting torque with their new fancy battery. IR and others don't quite get close to that claim.

Of course this may be all marketing stuff too. No idea how Milwaukee's best vs IR's best would do head to head in a controlled test but either way...if the bolt doesn't snap at those torque levels it is time for the torch anyways.
Honestly Milwaukee's Gen2 mid-torque is by far my most used. It's got most of the power of the larger unit (2767, although they've since updated the 2767) in a much smaller package.

If I could only have one cordless gun, this would be it. I use it for 90% of chassis and brake work. I have a cordless 3/8" and ratchets for topside engine work. Also perhaps important to note I don't live in the rust belt.

Also when power really matters some quality impact sockets can make a difference. I've personally never had chromes explode but I have had chromes rattle away and switching to an impact socket worked.

I have both, like most everyone else I use my battery Dewalt stuff 90% of the time. It is just faster and easier, but there have been some really stubborn stuff I couldn't get apart in the rust belt without air tools and the torch.

I use my M18 Fuel gen.3 mid torque for almost all wheel lugs and larger nuts and bolts. Once in a while I have to grab my IR air impact for something really rusted up or stubborn. My son gave me a Snap On 3/8” battery ratchet and use that even more than the impact. For small fasteners it’s great. You will find that most of the time new battery powered tools are handier and do most jobs just fine, but air still has a place in my toolbox for the occasional stubborn bolt.

Back