Cost for 2020 Tundra F/R Pads/Rotors and brake fluid flush

Seriously...these things make going outside impossible this time of year. I get a very robust immune response to bites and they make me miserable for a week every time they bite.

I think Maine has those too.

When I lived in Georgia, they had these biting gnats everyone called "No see-ums." they were super small, but man, they could do a number on you. Coached little league with my kids and some days it was just miserable out there.

Do you actually need rotors? Maybe give them a measure, and just get pads? I find they don't actually wear that much, just get a rusty lip and start to look "bad" but they never are near the lower limit on my cars.

I just did my 2017 Tundra at 90,000 km. Just over $350 for Toyota pads front and rear. Rotors still in good shape.

Paco

I just did my 2017 Tundra at 90,000 km. Just over $350 for Toyota pads front and rear. Rotors still in good shape.

Paco
So at 55,000ish miles there is no glaze on those rotors? Did you measure the thickness?

So at 55,000ish miles there is no glaze on those rotors? Did you measure the thickness?
Rotor wear isn't a huge issue on Asian import - the pads are not very aggressive.

The bigger issue is the uneven pad deposits; rotors are always in need of machining or replacement due to pulsation.

Rotor wear isn't a huge issue on Asian import - the pads are not very aggressive.

The bigger issue is the uneven pad deposits; rotors are always in need of machining or replacement due to pulsation.
Yup, I had a very mild (but still annoying) pulsation for the past 5,000ish miles at highway speeds.

I have 50k miles on the truck and about 4mm on the front pads and 3mm on the rear - confirmed by me. I called around and every independent shop was more expensive than the dealership which quoted me $1500 all-in for F/R pads/rotors and brake fluid flush. I know it's highly dependent on a bunch of factors but I was surprised the indy shops were $100-200 more. I'm located in central MA. First time doing brakes on the Tundra - does $1500 all-in seem reasonable?
My buddy in Jacksonville had the same experience as you, on a Honda CR-V. Dealer quoted less.

My thing is I trust my Japanese indie more, than I would, a dealer. Like with the LS430 timing belt. They were half of the dealer’s $1800 quote. Scary as that was 2017.

But if price is same and no prior relationship with the indies, I’d likely go dealer for what I can’t DIY. It’s an expensive time we’re living in. $750 per axle does sound like a lot to me, but again, it’s 2024 and it may be in the ballpark. CR-V was $1200. Seems insane

Good luck on your decision 🙂

Step 1) Drive the Tundra to Toronto.
Step 2) PM @OVERKILL, @IndyIan, @WobblyElvis and I with your ETA. Anyone else want to help?
Step 3) Meet us at YYZ, since we all know where that is.
Step 4) Hand us the key fob.
Step 5) We drop you off at the nearby convention.
Step 6) We do the brakes, including the flush. Keep the invoices for reimbursement.
Step 7) You buy me a coffee, because according to my wife, I'm a cheap date. What do you guys want?

NB. Take it to the dealer and sleep easy; No Canadian nightmares. :ROFLMAO:
Wait until the fall, and everyone can take in a Leafs game! (They are my #3 adopted team for when mine fails as they often have as of late)

That's my point. Seldom is slapping just pads in a good idea. It's not a complete brake job.

Wait until the fall, and everyone can take in a Leafs game! (They are my #3 adopted team for when mine fails as they often have as of late)
I'd be willing to bet, ours (Leafs) have been failing much longer that yours. I stopped faithfully watching them, when the players went on strike midseason.

What’s The deal that caused it to need rotors so soon?

It’s a heavy vehicle, maybe pads I get, but to go through rotors seems a bit much.

Even pads… we just got 100k out of the pads on our odyssey. I took the risk and did a pad slap with OE pads because I was worried about putting new rotors on and getting vibration. Odysseys are known for undersized rotors warping given the vehicle size and weight. Ours were perfect after 100k.

You sure it needs that much work for that much money?

Also, given the horrible life of the pads, maybe consider something else?

My Ram Cummins takes pads that are FF rated. I found the raybestos pads were GG, so more bite under all conditions. Got them today and they’re actually HH!

Chinesium though.

IMG_8499.jpeg

I was surprised that our odyssey is super smooth with a pad slap. None of the issues on the or pads. People must be really hard on their stuff if it’s needed that often. I was fully prepared to do the job twice. Super happy.

A caliper tells the tale for rotor wear. I agree not much on an Asian.

IMG_4176.jpeg

I understand. However-there is no way there isn't glaze on those rotors.
Honda dealers in my area will sell pads/resurface for the front axle, but their default rear brake job is a pad slap.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
So I only read page #1 but in Post #1 OP suggests indys are ~$200 more. Relative to ~$1500 I'd say that's negligible and would then choose based upon factors other than price: service, location, appointment availability, competence of shop, perceived honesty, can you talk to the tech or just a service writer, etc etc. Pick the items that are important to you.

Back