Cost for 2020 Tundra F/R Pads/Rotors and brake fluid flush

While I do value $1500 because I worked for that $1500, it's not a hardship in any way, but just because it's not a hardship doesn't mean I can't do my due diligence and that I want to spend $1500 on brakes unnecessarily. I'm thrown by the dealership being the cheapest option and that's really why I asked here.
Then take it there. I mean, obviously no other options unless you do it, which you don’t want to.

Dealership being cheapest would have thrown me for a loop as well. I'd let them do it and just be ready for them to come up with some other stuff you 'need' while its in.
Just had the front/rear diffs, transmission fluid, transfer case, a recall, and tire rotation done today by the dealership and they said all else was fine besides the brakes. They didn't even do any high-pressure sales tactics. This was just an FYI and quote. I know they're getting low because I checked them last month out of curiosity.

I’m a pretty busy guy. My time is valuable.

On a whim I went and looked at rock auto:

Front Centric semi coated rotors and posi quiet pads are ~$200

Rear centric semi coated rotors and posi quiet pads are ~$150.

Shipping, tax… yada yada. Let’s call it an even $500 in parts.

I can certainly tell you that I can afford 3 hours of my time for $1,000 in savings.

OP’s time must be very valuable indeed…
Based on your math that 3 hours is a wash for me - so I'll go to work since patients are already scheduled and have someone else do it for me instead.

I have 50k miles on the truck and about 4mm on the front pads and 3mm on the rear - confirmed by me. I called around and every independent shop was more expensive than the dealership which quoted me $1500 all-in for F/R pads/rotors and brake fluid flush. I know it's highly dependent on a bunch of factors but I was surprised the indy shops were $100-200 more. I'm located in central MA. First time doing brakes on the Tundra - does $1500 all-in seem reasonable?
That seems high…

Front rotors and pads (and the rotors are big, so, they’re not cheap) was about $300 in parts. Rears were about the same.

So, $900 labor?

That just seems high to me - do they break out what the flush is costing?

These are simple brakes - but you do have to remove the 4 piston calipers to replace the rotors. Two big bolts, two small ones for the line brackets.

I just flushed mine - I do it every three years on the truck.

The “I never do it, and never had a problem” doesn’t sit well with me. Mercedes recommends it every year. Volvo every other. Fluid absorbs water. That lowers the boiling point. That water also leads to corrosion and brake failure under stress.

With the cost of an ABS module, and calipers, etc. flushing them is both important and cheap in terms of avoiding future costs.

I have 50k miles on the truck and about 4mm on the front pads and 3mm on the rear - confirmed by me. I called around and every independent shop was more expensive than the dealership which quoted me $1500 all-in for F/R pads/rotors and brake fluid flush. I know it's highly dependent on a bunch of factors but I was surprised the indy shops were $100-200 more. I'm located in central MA. First time doing brakes on the Tundra - does $1500 all-in seem reasonable?
This sems overpriced but I don't know your area. Have you looked at what the parts would cost to purchase on your own? Brake prices have seemed to skyrocket yet a competent shop can have it done fairly quickly. Last year the e-brake cable on my neon stuck ruining the drums,shoes and hardware that my dad and I installed a year prior. Parts were about $100 out the door for drums shoes, hardware. Granted drum brakes should have been outlawed 20 years ago but one place wanted $1098 I said nope.

I might have to go back 25yrs to add all my DIY brake jobs up to get to $1500. Yikes.

A co-worker of mine with a 2019 Tacoma was recently quoted $900 from a local chain place just for rear pads/rotors. Gotta pay for that Toyota quality fellas. I'm kidding.

$400 for parts on the high end means you’re looking at $1100 for labor alone for a 2-3 hour DIY job if you are taking your time; a decent tech will be done in about an 1-2 hours. Personally, I’d be getting my hands dirty.

Just a little off topic---why were the tires rotated twice? Once by you in post #19 ("I understand that and it just came to my attention on Sunday rotating her tires that her pads were so low") and then by the dealer in post #22.
I understand that now there is a time factor but you did state that they were needed at 25k and now has to be done right away at 55k. That's a lot of miles and time that went by for a safety feature/maintenance item.

Last edited:
What do you want me to tell you? keep doing what you are doing regardless that it is wrong, bcs. your feelings?
I'm not following. I rotated my wife's 2019 RX 350 last Sunday and checked her pads and pulled a front and back wheel on the Tundra last month to check the pads.

$400 for parts on the high end means you’re looking at $1100 for labor alone for a 2-3 hour DIY job if you are taking your time; a decent tech will be done in about an 1-2 hours. Personally, I’d be getting my hands dirty.
Well, the flush and taxes are in there too but I get what you're saying.

If there is still some beef on pads, just keep shopping around. Check some mobile mechanics.
I haven't committed to anything yet. I'll call around tomorrow for the RX and Tundra.

Step 1) Drive the Tundra to Toronto.
Step 2) PM @OVERKILL, @IndyIan, @WobblyElvis and I with your ETA. Anyone else want to help?
Step 3) Meet us at YYZ, since we all know where that is.
Step 4) Hand us the key fob.
Step 5) We drop you off at the nearby convention.
Step 6) We do the brakes, including the flush. Keep the invoices for reimbursement.
Step 7) You buy me a coffee, because according to my wife, I'm a cheap date. What do you guys want?

NB. Take it to the dealer and sleep easy; No Canadian nightmares. :ROFLMAO:

Step 1) Drive the Tundra to Toronto.
Step 2) PM @OVERKILL, @IndyIan, @WobblyElvis and I with your ETA. Anyone else want to help?
Step 3) Meet us at YYZ, since we all know where that is.
Step 4) Hand us the key fob.
Step 5) We drop you off at the nearby convention.
Step 6) We do the brakes, including the flush. Keep the invoices for reimbursement.
Step 7) You buy me a coffee, because according to my wife, I'm a cheap date. What do you guys want?

NB. Take it to the dealer and sleep easy; No Canadian nightmares. :ROFLMAO:
Flying to Toronto but I greatly appreciate the kind offer! Lol...

Back