Ordered some brakes/rotors for the Altima

Thanks but I can't take that chance on installing them.
I can't install GH brake pads on my car. I won't be able to stop without building up a lot of heat.
If I open the seal & install them, I can't return them. Even is I just open the shrink wrap.
I can return them for a full refund unfortunately, returning them is at my own shipping cost. So, I'll end up with 1/2 my money back.

Sadly RA isn't the place for me to buy auto parts any longer as they have no customer service. Everything is online only and no one to speak with. Everything else in my order is fine and what I expect. I didn't expect GH - CoF pads.

Last edited:
HOWEVER:
The rear brakes(Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic) came in CoF of GH ...are they kidding me?
Welcome to the new post-COVID world of suppliers. You can order the same part # multiple times and receive friction from different suppliers.

Edit: who says you won’t be able to stop without heat on GH? Last set of F150 rear pads from Ford were rated GH.

Thank you Mike, what I mean by STOP, is that higher CoF(higher letter designation) pads require more pedal pressure for my driving style, climate & area where I live. Especially in the cold months.

Because I only like the brake pedal feel & bite with FF pads( like OE) that I am thinking that since I haven’t liked any pad that that I’ve tried that were GG, I am assuming that I’ll absolutely hate GH.

I’m not saying that all GG/GH pads have no bite the way I’d prefer, I wouldn’t know, I haven’t tested them all. What I am saying is that CoF FF pads have been 100% for me each & every time that I buy them…just like OE.

If I try them and don’t like them, I am stuck with‘em. Being in the rear of the car, I may not notice it but I do prefer lower(letter designation) CoF. Since I am getting rid of the car, it may not matter. BUT, I do expect applied pedal pressure to increase during normal stopping in order to achieve my regular stopping distance and brake feel that is like the OE Pads.

Last edited:
Thanks but I can't take that chance on installing them.
I can't install GH brake pads on my car. I won't be able to stop without building up a lot of heat.
If I open the seal & install them, I can't return them. Even is I just open the shrink wrap.
I can return them for a full refund unfortunately, returning them is at my own shipping cost. So, I'll end up with 1/2 my money back.

Sadly RA isn't the place for me to buy auto parts any longer as they have no customer service. Everything is online only and no one to speak with. Everything else in my order is fine and what I expect. I didn't expect GH - CoF pads.

can you at least take some pictures of the parts before sending them back? :D

Even though you'll have to pay return shipping, you will get Rock Auto's high-volume shipping rate if you get the label from them.

Also, if you really cared about the CoF that much, you could've always contacted the mfr beforehand. Centric would probably be glad to tell you they're GH, and if they didn't want to tell you, then that would be a sign to not do business with them.

The front brakes do 90% of the stopping anyway :sneaky:

can you at least take some pictures of the parts before sending them back? :D

Even though you'll have to pay return shipping, you will get Rock Auto's high-volume shipping rate if you get the label from them.

Also, if you really cared about the CoF that much, you could've always contacted the mfr beforehand. Centric would probably be glad to tell you they're GH, and if they didn't want to tell you, then that would be a sign to not do business with them.

The front brakes do 90% of the stopping anyway :sneaky:
Nope. I contacted Centric and was told in my email from customer service that are’t allowed certain specs of their brake products. 🤷‍♂️
As a few Members have mentioned, I may just slap them on and keep them but we’ll see.

Thank you Mike, what I mean by STOP, is that higher CoF(higher letter designation) pads require more pedal pressure for my driving style, climate & area where I live. Especially in the cold months.
I still have no idea where you're getting this information from.

It is possible that your experience was from one particular GG formula?

It my own personal experience. Multiple vehicles, multiple brands over many years(of our own vehicles) before I understood what the CoF meant and how it’s understandable to me. I actually heard it here first in the thread but I don’t remember where are all the details. But it got me to doing a search.

The link that I had and how it explained it best(the way I understand it) is now a “page not found 404”

Last edited:
Nope! Multipal vehicles, multiple brands over many years(of our own vehicles) before I understood what the CoF meant and how it’s understandable to me.

The link I had that explained it best, is now a “page not found 404”
It's almost meaningless. It's the equivalent of shopping for tires using the UTQG ratings.

First: I like this conversation. 👍 And I too have things to learn.
Second: I do get OE feel, when I buy FF. 🙂
Third: This is a bit long but I appreciate you sticking with me on this. 👌
Forth: This is just my experience ☝️
Fifth: I may have had CoF - GG pads unknowingly that were perfectly fine...IDK! 🤷‍♂️
Sixth: This CoF letter designation has not alway been in effect on brakes. IDK what year it started.
Seventh: CoF - GG pads take a bit longer to bed in? And this could be what I am not liking??? IDK! :unsure:

Today, most factory pads for the vehicles that I buy are CoF - FF. I look at them when new. There are certain things that I do on a brand new vehicle when I get it home. No, not the 1st day/week but within the first few months when I get some time.

I'm trying to think of all the brand of pads that I've used(knowingly) that were anything other than CoF - FF and before I learned the difference(for me & my understanding).

Example:
I would do a brake job on one of our vehicles and noticed this lack of initial bite. Out on the hiwy, slowing down from higher speeds they were M'mm OK but the first few stops(especially in the a.m.) they were like, Oh IDK, slippery!
And my wife & daughter would say, "I though you changed the brakes"?...I tell them, I did!

They'd also say, "it feels like I have to press harder on the brake pedal to stop"!
Months, not weeks would go by before the brakes felt more normal. Then I learned something!

So, I pulled off the brake pads and read the lettering laser etched into the pads or on the backing plate.
Sure enough, the pads were GG. And(over the years) I would notice this after installing new pads, maybe at first not paying attention to the lettering, only that the part# was correct for the car. It's as though they had less bite. I'd pull them off and look. And sure enough...GG

I mean, a lot of ladies/gentlemen who drive more aggressively than I do, don't like FF pads(even on the street) 'cause the FF's don't seem to handle the heat when slowing down from higher speeds repeatedly/often. Whereas the GG pads seem to fade less while driving more aggressively. I'm not aggressive! Even if I have that one panic stop, I am just a regular driver, driving in traffic, on the hiwy etc. Oh sure, I may have that one too many cups of coffee and drive more spiritedly for the moment but, not aggressively.

And this brake fade is not exclusive to every FF pad(I believe). I'm sure that there are FF pad that handle heat better than other FF pads. I'm just sayin'!

This is where I believe that the difference is in CoF...GG pads stop better/shorter when braking during harder repeated braking because they fade less. More aggressive driving per say. But they don't have the same initial brake bite in normal everyday-ness in my experience. Most people may not notice a thing!

I also have a test that I can judge one brake pad compared to another. On cars equipped with manual parking brakes that use the rear disk brakes(not the under rotor hat parking brake set-up). Try using the parking brakes with GG pads and do a light brake stand...The vehicle with the GG pads will creep forward where as the FF pads will hold the vehicle from moving forward BETTER!

I've failed NY State Vehicle Inspection(parking brake) with the CoF - GG pads(where the parking brake used the rear disks). And when I changed back to FF pads and then I returned to the Inspection Station, the vehicle PASSED on the 2nd try.
This has happened to me on 2 different vehicles. A Ford & a Mazda.

In my experience, GG pads just don't have the initial bite of the FF. Not saying that GG pads don't stop shorter from hiwy speeds or feel less normal once they're hot. It's mostly the cold/initial driving off when they're still not HOT yet.

And don't get me started about "Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Pads" 🤌 But that's a different story for another time.

I hope you didn't fall asleep,o_O It's just be babbling again.
CB

Last edited:
to slacktide_bitog:

Nope. I contacted Centric and was told in my email from customer service that are’t allowed certain specs of their brake products. 🤷‍♂️
As a few Members have mentioned, I may just slap them on and keep them but we’ll see.
Return email from CENTRIC:

Good morning *****(CB).
I do apologize for the confusion but we do not keep co-efficient of friction specs here in the tech support office, our engineering dept considers it protected data and we are not given access to it. All of our data is focused on vehicle fitment data, and general product specifications. The 105 series pads are meant to be a OEM+ equivalent, low dust, low noise, very long life brake pad. Top of the line in Centric's product portfolio. We do offer more a more aggressive, sporty pad compound on the StopTech products. Part number 308.09050 should be fine for an aggressive daily driver, or we also offer 309.09050 which is a light duty racing trackpad. Either of these pads will produce more brake dust and more noise than the 105 series however.​

Last edited:
I put Element 3 on her 15 Altima. From rock auto

Off topic, did you ever do a uoa on the Altima? I believe it was you had commented on my uoa post I did on her car and you said you had I believe around 80K miles on the car
Thanks for your (y) on my above longish post/reply.

Here's an old post from 2020:
Cujet mentions that the Centric pad initial bite on the 2003 Jaguar X-Type is terrible. I wish I knew what the CoF of these pads were/are?

Back